Re: X11 for OS X

  • Ken Scott
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2003
      On Friday, January 10, 2003, at 07:41 PM, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > Apple is planning to distribute a Cocoa version of X11.
      >
      > http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/
      >
      > If this catches on, we may not need the Carbon version anymore. Then
      > again, there may still be users who would rather download a 3-MB text
      > editor than a who-knows-how-big windowing system. (Did anyone say
      > GIMP?)
      >
      > I know some on this list are already using Vim with XDarwin. Any
      > comments on pros and cons?

      I would much rather have the Carbon version. The menus are going to be
      where they belong (along the top of the screen) and it will look like a
      Mac program. I don't think the X11 version would be any of those things.

      Ken

      --
      <>< Ken Scott ken@... http://hobbes.optikos.net/~ken

      This is the day that the Lord has made;
      Let us rejoice and be glad in it -- Psalm 118:24
    • Gregory Seidman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2003
        Benji Fisher sez:
        [...]
        }
        } I know some on this list are already using Vim with XDarwin. Any
        } comments on pros and cons?

        Executive summary: Keep going with the Carbon version, the X11 version
        is an enhancement, not a replacement.

        I use three different varieties of vim on my MacOS X box. I use the
        (Fink-installed) X11 vim when I am working in X. I use the Carbon
        version when I am working from a Terminal window. I use the terminal
        version when I am logged in over ssh. I do all three and find it vastly
        convenient that I can have multiple vim windows open in XDarwin, or use
        a GUI vim even though XDarwin isn't currently running, or run in the
        terminal when I want to start it quickly or when I don't have a GUI
        available. For that matter, I use vim on Windows when I am forced to use
        windows. A vim for every UI and a UI for every need.

        Incidentally, it would give me a warm, tingly feeling if I could install
        a single package and have Carbon, X11, and terminal versions all in the
        same binary. That would rock.

        } --Benji Fisher
        --Greg
      • Sébastien Pierre
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 11, 2003
          Le samedi, 11 jan 2003, à 03:41 Europe/Paris, Benji Fisher a écrit :

          > Apple is planning to distribute a Cocoa version of X11.
          >
          > http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/
          >
          > If this catches on, we may not need the Carbon version anymore. Then
          > again, there may still be users who would rather download a 3-MB text
          > editor than a who-knows-how-big windowing system. (Did anyone say
          > GIMP?)
          >
          > I know some on this list are already using Vim with XDarwin. Any
          > comments on pros and cons?

          CarbonVim does not make proper text encoding... ie. if you want to edit
          a text in latin-1, latin-2 or utf-8 you will have a lot of problems.
          That's why I'm using the X11 version of Vim, and I'm pretty sure I'm
          not the only one to do so.

          CarbonVim would be more attractive otherwise (mainly because of the
          menubar and the Monaco font)...maybe someone will finally use iconv in
          CarbonVim ?

          -- Sébastien

          --
          «Il se demanda, comme il l'avait fait plusieurs fois déjà, s'il
          n'était pas lui-même fou. Peut-être un fou n'était-il qu'une
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2003
            Hello,

            11 jan 2003, à 12:33 Asia/Muscat, Sébastien Pierre wrote:

            > CarbonVim does not make proper text encoding... ie. if you want to
            > edit a text in latin-1, latin-2 or utf-8 you will have a lot of
            > problems. That's why I'm using the X11 version of Vim, and I'm pretty
            > sure I'm not the only one to do so.
            >
            > CarbonVim would be more attractive otherwise (mainly because of the
            > menubar and the Monaco font)...maybe someone will finally use iconv in
            > CarbonVim ?
            >
            > -- Sébastien

            I use the X11 vim exactly for the same reason.

            Baptiste Calmès