Re: fontpanel.diff

  • Rain Dog
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
      On Monday, December 30, 2002, at 01:36 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Rain Dog wrote:
      >> how about a patch that adds a font selection panel to Carbon Vim?
      >
      > Sounds like a very nice addition.
      >
      >> o Doesn't restrict the font selection to monospaced fonts.
      >> There doesn't seem to be a way to do this using the
      >> default Font Panel.
      >
      > That's disappointing, since the user will get himself into trouble when
      > selecting a wrong font...

      I'll have another look, but I'm not too hopeful that this can be done
      (that is,
      that the default font panel can be customized to show only monospaced
      fonts).
      An alternative might be to ignore the command if the selected font is
      not
      monospaced. That doesn't seem too user-friendly either, though.

      >> o After a font is selected, guifont remains set to "*".
      >
      > Ideally 'guifont' would be set to a font name that works the same way
      > when setting it to this value manually. The Win32 code does this (with
      > some extra work to add font attributes to 'guifont').

      Ah, I see how to do it now--I wasn't sure how to safely set p_guifont.
      Thanks for the pointer!

      I'll post a new version of the patch once I've fixed this and made a few
      other improvements.

      Peter
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2003
        I have finally found time to try out the latest patches:
        scroll.diff, quartz.diff, and fontpanel.diff . (I did not miss any, did
        I?) I have two technical requests:

        1. Please make patches from the vim61/ directory (or vim/ if you are
        using CVS) so that they refer to src/gui_mac.c etc.

        2. Please send patches as attachments.

        Rain Dog wrote:
        > On Monday, December 30, 2002, at 01:36 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >
        >> Rain Dog wrote:
        >>
        >>> how about a patch that adds a font selection panel to Carbon Vim?
        >>

        >> Sounds like a very nice addition.
        >>
        >>> o Doesn't restrict the font selection to monospaced fonts.
        >>> There doesn't seem to be a way to do this using the
        >>> default Font Panel.
        >>

        >> That's disappointing, since the user will get himself into trouble when
        >> selecting a wrong font...

        Yes, big trouble.

        > I'll have another look, but I'm not too hopeful that this can be done
        > (that is,
        > that the default font panel can be customized to show only monospaced
        > fonts).
        > An alternative might be to ignore the command if the selected font is not
        > monospaced. That doesn't seem too user-friendly either, though.

        I will not use this patch in the binaries I distribute until there
        is some sort of solution to this problem. Instead of ignoring a
        variable-spaced font, can you give an error message (and leave 'gfn'
        unchanged)?

        >>> o After a font is selected, guifont remains set to "*".
        >>
        >> Ideally 'guifont' would be set to a font name that works the same way
        >> when setting it to this value manually. The Win32 code does this (with
        >> some extra work to add font attributes to 'guifont').
        >
        > Ah, I see how to do it now--I wasn't sure how to safely set p_guifont.
        > Thanks for the pointer!
        >
        > I'll post a new version of the patch once I've fixed this and made a few
        > other improvements.

        I have not yet compiled with the patches separately, so I cannot
        be sure where this problem cones from, but I suspect it is from one of
        the other patches (maybe quartz.diff). When I enter

        :version

        the "Hit ENTER" prompt gets messed up: the word "continue" at the end
        is repeated, overlapping itself a little.

        Keep trying!

        --Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2003
          Rain Dog wrote:

          > ":set guifont=*" to invoke the Font Panel. Close the panel
          > to set the selected font.

          P.S. It would be nice to have an "OK" button and a "Cancel" button. I
          do not like the idea of closing the panel to choose the selected font.

          --Benji Fisher
        • Bob Ippolito
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2003
            This may be of interest to someone, but assuming you use
            black-background grey-text terminals, it changes all of the highlights
            to look be entirely consistent between gvim and colored terminal vim.

            -bob
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
              Bob Ippolito wrote:
              > This may be of interest to someone, but assuming you use
              > black-background grey-text terminals, it changes all of the highlights
              > to look be entirely consistent between gvim and colored terminal vim.
              >
              > -bob

              Er, did you mean to attach a colorscheme file?

              --Benji Fisher
            • Bob Ippolito
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
                I'm pretty sure I did.. perhaps a problem with my mailserver? I'll
                try again.
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 21, 2003
                  I got it this time. Thanks.

                  --Benji Fisher