Re: Tutorial for MacVim contributors

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2008
      björn wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > Most of us are probably new to Git so I have written a short tutorial
      > on how to contribute with patches to the MacVim project using Git. I
      > hope it may be of help to somebody. You can find the tutorial on the
      > Google Code MacVim page here:
      >
      > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/wiki/Contributing

      This is great, Björn.

      I'll look in more detail later.

      I think it might be worth documenting git-bisect there too, as it's come
      in handy a bit, and is a way users can contribute to the project even if
      they aren't really C/Objective C programmers.

      > I also updated the README that comes with the MacVim source code with
      > an overview of the inner workings of MacVim (inside the src/MacVim/
      > directory). I'm not convinced that the README is going to be very
      > helpful in its current state so I welcome suggestions on how to
      > improve it (as well as the above tutorial, of course).

      This is great, too. Just having skim read the bulk of it I feel much
      more able to find my way around MacVim's code. And I'm sure reading it a
      bit more thoroughly later will help even further.

      I'd better finish learning Objective C! Though, to be honest, I don't
      think there's much more to learn. I know how OO programming works; it's
      just that Objective C has some really obscure syntax, such as the + and
      - preceding method definitions (which I've covered now!). Getting
      through the documentation is hard work, though, because it's written
      for people learning OO as well as Objective C, so a lot has to be waded
      through that I already know.

      Cheers,

      Ben.