Re: fontpanel.diff

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 30, 2002
      Rain Dog wrote:

      > OK then, how about a patch that adds a font selection panel to
      > Carbon Vim?
      >
      > This patches gui_mac.c, CVS version 1.39, and has only been
      > tested on OSX 10.2.2. I have no idea if it will work on a
      > non-OSX Carbon system.
      >
      > ":set guifont=*" to invoke the Font Panel. Close the panel
      > to set the selected font.

      Sounds like a very nice addition.

      > Limitations:
      >
      > o Doesn't restrict the font selection to monospaced fonts.
      >
      > There doesn't seem to be a way to do this using the
      > default Font Panel.

      That's disappointing, since the user will get himself into trouble when
      selecting a wrong font...

      > o After a font is selected, guifont remains set to "*".
      >
      > This shouldn't be hard to fix, but I'm not sure exactly where
      > to fix it. In any case, this behavior is consistent with
      > ":set guifont=", which selects the default font and leaves
      > guifont set to "", instead of the name of the default font.

      Ideally 'guifont' would be set to a font name that works the same way
      when setting it to this value manually. The Win32 code does this (with
      some extra work to add font attributes to 'guifont').

      I'm not including Mac patches myself, since I cannot test them. I'll
      await the "Mac workers" to try it out, fix any problems and send me the
      big Mac patch later :-).

      Thanks for making this patch (and also the patches for scrollbars and
      Quarz fonts).

      226. You sit down at the computer right after dinner and your spouse
      says "See you in the morning."

    • Rain Dog
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
        On Monday, December 30, 2002, at 01:36 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Rain Dog wrote:
        >> how about a patch that adds a font selection panel to Carbon Vim?
        >
        > Sounds like a very nice addition.
        >
        >> o Doesn't restrict the font selection to monospaced fonts.
        >> There doesn't seem to be a way to do this using the
        >> default Font Panel.
        >
        > That's disappointing, since the user will get himself into trouble when
        > selecting a wrong font...

        I'll have another look, but I'm not too hopeful that this can be done
        (that is,
        that the default font panel can be customized to show only monospaced
        fonts).
        An alternative might be to ignore the command if the selected font is
        not
        monospaced. That doesn't seem too user-friendly either, though.

        >> o After a font is selected, guifont remains set to "*".
        >
        > Ideally 'guifont' would be set to a font name that works the same way
        > when setting it to this value manually. The Win32 code does this (with
        > some extra work to add font attributes to 'guifont').

        Ah, I see how to do it now--I wasn't sure how to safely set p_guifont.
        Thanks for the pointer!

        I'll post a new version of the patch once I've fixed this and made a few
        other improvements.

        Peter
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2003
          I have finally found time to try out the latest patches:
          scroll.diff, quartz.diff, and fontpanel.diff . (I did not miss any, did
          I?) I have two technical requests:

          1. Please make patches from the vim61/ directory (or vim/ if you are
          using CVS) so that they refer to src/gui_mac.c etc.

          2. Please send patches as attachments.

          Rain Dog wrote:
          > On Monday, December 30, 2002, at 01:36 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          >
          >> Rain Dog wrote:
          >>
          >>> how about a patch that adds a font selection panel to Carbon Vim?
          >>

          >> Sounds like a very nice addition.
          >>
          >>> o Doesn't restrict the font selection to monospaced fonts.
          >>> There doesn't seem to be a way to do this using the
          >>> default Font Panel.
          >>

          >> That's disappointing, since the user will get himself into trouble when
          >> selecting a wrong font...

          Yes, big trouble.

          > I'll have another look, but I'm not too hopeful that this can be done
          > (that is,
          > that the default font panel can be customized to show only monospaced
          > fonts).
          > An alternative might be to ignore the command if the selected font is not
          > monospaced. That doesn't seem too user-friendly either, though.

          I will not use this patch in the binaries I distribute until there
          is some sort of solution to this problem. Instead of ignoring a
          variable-spaced font, can you give an error message (and leave 'gfn'
          unchanged)?

          >>> o After a font is selected, guifont remains set to "*".
          >>
          >> Ideally 'guifont' would be set to a font name that works the same way
          >> when setting it to this value manually. The Win32 code does this (with
          >> some extra work to add font attributes to 'guifont').
          >
          > Ah, I see how to do it now--I wasn't sure how to safely set p_guifont.
          > Thanks for the pointer!
          >
          > I'll post a new version of the patch once I've fixed this and made a few
          > other improvements.

          I have not yet compiled with the patches separately, so I cannot
          be sure where this problem cones from, but I suspect it is from one of
          the other patches (maybe quartz.diff). When I enter

          :version

          the "Hit ENTER" prompt gets messed up: the word "continue" at the end
          is repeated, overlapping itself a little.

          Keep trying!

          --Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2003
            Rain Dog wrote:

            > ":set guifont=*" to invoke the Font Panel. Close the panel
            > to set the selected font.

            P.S. It would be nice to have an "OK" button and a "Cancel" button. I
            do not like the idea of closing the panel to choose the selected font.

            --Benji Fisher
          • Bob Ippolito
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 19 3:14 PM
              This may be of interest to someone, but assuming you use
              black-background grey-text terminals, it changes all of the highlights
              to look be entirely consistent between gvim and colored terminal vim.

              -bob
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 21 7:35 AM
                Bob Ippolito wrote:
                > This may be of interest to someone, but assuming you use
                > black-background grey-text terminals, it changes all of the highlights
                > to look be entirely consistent between gvim and colored terminal vim.
                >
                > -bob

                Er, did you mean to attach a colorscheme file?

                --Benji Fisher
              • Bob Ippolito
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 21 9:45 AM
                  I'm pretty sure I did.. perhaps a problem with my mailserver? I'll
                  try again.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 21 12:21 PM
                    I got it this time. Thanks.

                    --Benji Fisher