Re: Vim version 5.7a ready for BETA testing

  • Kenichi Asai
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13, 2000
      Dear Bram and MacVim developpers,

      >> (1) Compilation Warning for Vim 68k
      >
      >I see the problem. It looks like this change is required:

      The warning has now disappeared with this patch. (But I do not
      know what the code here actually does. Thus, I can only report that
      the warning disappeared.)

      >> (2) Project file (for CodeWarrior) is old
      >
      >There was some confusion about which file to put in the release. I prefer not
      >to include several ones. Can that vim-5.6.mcp file be included "as-is"? Can
      >it be renamed?

      I think it can be included as is and can be renamed. It went
      completely fine with my CodeWarrior release 5.

      >I do have an os_mac.cw5.mcp file. It's a binary file and it's big (253389
      >bytes). This is quite different from the os_mac.CW9.hqx which is ASCII and
      >small (18114 bytes). There is also os_mac.rsr.hqx.

      The vim-5.6.mcp seems to be the same file as your os_mac.cw5.mcp
      because it has exactly 253389 bytes.

      os_mac.CW9.hqx expands to a vimPPC.? project file. This seems to be a
      project file for an older version of CodeWarrior. (But some people
      might want this project file. I don't.)

      The os_mac.rsr.hqx is an archive for a resource file "gui_mac.rsrc".
      It is necessary.

      >Please tell me what to include in the distribution. Preferably something that
      >will work for most people and isn't a binary file. Perhaps os_mac.cw5.hqx?

      I would recommend to include Dany's

      http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim/patch/5.6/mac01.cw5.mcp.sit.hqx

      possibly renaming it to os_mac.cw5.sit.hqx. (I would also want to
      rename the archived project file "vim-5.6.mcp" to "vim.mcp" or
      something.) But this choice might exclude those who work on older
      versions of CodeWarrior. I do not know if there is any common format
      for the new and old CodeWarrior project files.

      >> (3) A request for a Japanese specific change
      >
      >Since you will have tested this, I'll include it.

      Yes, I did. Thank you.

      >> (4) The role of Japanese MacVim is finished
      >
      >Very good. Is there enough info on www.vim.org for people to find this
      >version when they are looking for it? If not, contact Sven. I can add a
      >remark at ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/mac/.message. What URL should I use?

      Please use

      http://www.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim-e.html

      (or equivalently http://www-imai.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~asai/macvim-e.html).
      The page currently have binaries for Japanese MacVim, but when vim 5.7
      is released, I will re-construct the page so that it provides binaries
      for MULTI_BYTE enabled Vim.

      >I have included all patches that I got. There is some confusion about which
      >compiled version for the Mac is the official one. I'll let Dany and Axel
      >fight over it :-). I don't have a Mac myself, I have to let real Mac users
      >decide about this.

      I am fine to supply the official(?) MULTI_BYTE-enabled Vim.

      >> (5) Appendix
      >>
      >> For your reference, I list below what I did:
      >
      >Could you make this a bit more verbose and in a form I can include it in the
      >src/README.mac file? I'm sure this will help many people trying to compile
      >Vim on their Mac.

      I attach below a tentative src/INSTALL.mac file, which I made from the
      original src/INSTALL.mac. Please revise it, add missing information,
      correct my English, or do whatever you want. In particular,

      - I do not know if this note is still necessary:

      >NOTE: Users of more recent CodeWarrior version may have to reset the library
      > path, and change the mch_delay in os_mac.c so the finalTick is unsigned.

      I did not have to do this with my CodeWarrior.

      - You might want to rename some of the Mac specific files.

      - Does anyone know how to unstuff the three tar.gz files into a single
      directory? If I do it using StuffIt Expander, it will create a new
      directroy for each tar.gz file, which means that I have to merge them
      afterwards. If there is a simple way to do this, it would be nice to
      include this information.

      - Perhaps, we want to rename the file to "src/COMPILE.mac" and change
      the header to:

      >COMPILE - Compilation of Vim on Macintosh

      rather than INSTALL.

      Sincerely,

      ---
      Kenichi Asai

      INSTALL - Installation of Vim on Macintosh

      This file contains instructions for compiling Vim. If you already have an
      executable version of Vim, you don't need this.

      NOTE: Users of more recent CodeWarrior version may have to reset the library
      path, and change the mch_delay in os_mac.c so the finalTick is unsigned.

      Compilation instruction:

      1. Visit Vim (mirror) sites (http://www.vim.org/mirrors.html) and
      obtain the following three files:

      - unix/vim-X.X-src.tar.gz
      - unix/vim-X.X-rt.tar.gz
      - extra/vim-X.X-extra.tar.gz

      where X.X is a version number.

      2. Expand the three files.

      3. Apply patches if they exist. (Patch files are found in the mirror
      sites under patches directory.)

      4. Edit vim-X.X/src/feature.h for your preference. (You can skip
      this, then you will get the default behaviour as is documented,
      which should be fine for most people.)

      For example, if you want to add the MULTI_BYTE feature, turn on
      #define MULTI_BYTE

      5. Expand the following two files:

      - vim-X.X/src/os_mac.rsr.hqx (to produce vim-X.X/src/gui_mac.rsrc)
      - vim-X.X/src/os_mac.cw5.hqx (to produce vim-X.X/src/vim.mcp)

      The latter file is the CodeWarrior project file to be used.

      6. Launch CodeWarrior by double clicking vim.mcp.

      7. Check additional files if you include non-standard features.

      For example, if you added the MULTI_BYTE feature, check
      Extras/multbyte.c in the project window.

      8. Complie and you will obtain binaries: vimPPC, Vim 68k, and/or vimFAT.

    • Eugene Lee
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 14, 2000
        On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 03:20:12PM +0900, Kenichi Asai wrote:
        :Bram wrote:
        :
        :>> (1) Compilation Warning for Vim 68k
        :>
        :>I see the problem. It looks like this change is required:
        :
        :The warning has now disappeared with this patch. (But I do not
        :know what the code here actually does. Thus, I can only report that
        :the warning disappeared.)

        Ken'ichi, as you mentioned in your original message, the problem was
        with USE_CTRLCLICKMENU, which doesn't exist in pre-8.0 systems (does
        MacVim 5.6.x even run on these systems?). Bram's code simply adds the
        appropriate #ifdef.

        :- Does anyone know how to unstuff the three tar.gz files into a single
        :directory? If I do it using StuffIt Expander, it will create a new
        :directroy for each tar.gz file, which means that I have to merge them
        :afterwards. If there is a simple way to do this, it would be nice to
        :include this information.

        Stuffit has no way of doing this, as far as I know. You may want to try
        MacTar:

        http://www.strout.net/macsoft/mactar/

        --
        Eugene Lee
        eugene@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 14, 2000
          Kenichi Asai wrote:

          > >> (1) Compilation Warning for Vim 68k
          > >
          > >I see the problem. It looks like this change is required:
          >
          > The warning has now disappeared with this patch. (But I do not
          > know what the code here actually does. Thus, I can only report that
          > the warning disappeared.)

          In version 5.6 the argument to gui_send_mouse_event() was MOUSE_LEFT. When
          USE_CTRLCLICKMENU is not defined it should stay that way, thus vimButton must
          be initialised to MOUSE_LEFT.

          > >Please tell me what to include in the distribution. Preferably something
          > >that will work for most people and isn't a binary file. Perhaps
          > >os_mac.cw5.hqx?
          >
          > I would recommend to include Dany's
          >
          > http://www3.sympatico.ca/dany.stamant/vim/patch/5.6/mac01.cw5.mcp.sit.hqx
          >
          > possibly renaming it to os_mac.cw5.sit.hqx. (I would also want to
          > rename the archived project file "vim-5.6.mcp" to "vim.mcp" or
          > something.) But this choice might exclude those who work on older
          > versions of CodeWarrior. I do not know if there is any common format
          > for the new and old CodeWarrior project files.

          I recall that someone mentioned that they are not compatible. Since I don't
          want to include too many files, I would prefer to include one that works for
          most people. Including that os_mac.cw5.sit.hqx file sounds alright to me.
          Anyone care to comment on this?

          > >Could you make this a bit more verbose and in a form I can include it in the
          > >src/README.mac file? I'm sure this will help many people trying to compile
          > >Vim on their Mac.
          >
          > I attach below a tentative src/INSTALL.mac file, which I made from the
          > original src/INSTALL.mac. Please revise it, add missing information,
          > correct my English, or do whatever you want.

          Looks good, I'll include it. The extension .mac make Vim detect the wrong
          file type, I'll rename it to INSTALL_mac.txt.

          > In particular,
          >
          > - I do not know if this note is still necessary:
          >
          > >NOTE: Users of more recent CodeWarrior version may have to reset the library
          > > path, and change the mch_delay in os_mac.c so the finalTick is unsigned.
          >
          > I did not have to do this with my CodeWarrior.

          I have no idea. If anyone knows this, please let us know.

          > - Perhaps, we want to rename the file to "src/COMPILE.mac" and change
          > the header to:
          >
          > >COMPILE - Compilation of Vim on Macintosh
          >
          > rather than INSTALL.

          This is a historic thing. The "autoconf" stuff always uses the "INSTALL" file
          for these intstructions, even though it's about compiling from sources. I
          have added remarks in the README*.txt files in the top directory, anyone who
          reads this will find the hint about the INSTALL files. I think that renaming
          the files to COMPILE* will confuse more people that it will help people.

          11. You find yourself typing "com" after every period when using a word
          processor.com