Re: patchmode truncates filename [carbon vim 6.1.184]

  • Piet Delport
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
      On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 at 11:29:59 -0500, R. Edward Ralston wrote:

      > "patchmode" appears to be munging long filenames.
      >
      > In your shell do:
      >
      > touch ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
      >
      > then
      >
      > vim -u NONE -U NONE ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
      >
      > once there, type some text, then
      >
      > :set patchmode=.originalfile
      > :wq
      >
      > I then have the two files
      >
      > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
      > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.originalfile
      >
      > in the current directory.
      > Shouln't that instead be
      >
      > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt.originalfile
      >
      > ???

      I get the expected (latter) result here (FreeBSD, Vim 6.1, see the
      message i posted just yesterday for my :ver).

      > :ver
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled 09/23/02 08:30:39)
      > MacOS X (unix) version
      [snip]

      From the way the extension gets munged, maybe MacOS X is responsible?
      Does it only happen with "long" filenames?

      --
      Piet Delport
      Today's subliminal thought is:
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
        Piet Delport wrote:

        > On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 at 11:29:59 -0500, R. Edward Ralston wrote:
        >
        > >"patchmode" appears to be munging long filenames.
        > >
        > >In your shell do:
        > >
        > > touch ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
        > >
        > >then
        > >
        > > vim -u NONE -U NONE ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
        > >
        > >once there, type some text, then
        > >
        > > :set patchmode=.originalfile
        > > :wq
        > >
        > >I then have the two files
        > >
        > > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
        > > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.originalfile
        > >
        > >in the current directory.
        > >Shouln't that instead be
        > >
        > > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt.originalfile
        > >
        > >???
        >

        > I get the expected (latter) result here (FreeBSD, Vim 6.1, see the
        > message i posted just yesterday for my :ver).
        >

        > >:ver
        > >VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled 09/23/02 08:30:39)
        > >MacOS X (unix) version
        >
        > [snip]
        >
        > From the way the extension gets munged, maybe MacOS X is responsible?
        > Does it only happen with "long" filenames?

        I see the same problem on Mac OSX. Yes, it only happens with long
        file names. Unless someone can reproduce this on another system, let's
        follow up on vim-mac but not vim-dev.

        --Benji Fisher
      • R. Edward Ralston
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
          Looks like a problem only on MacOSX, specifically with
          vim compiled with the Carbon GUI.

          I compiled different versions of vim 6.1.200:

          RH Linux 7.2 (with GTK GUI): ok
          MacOSX (without GUI): ok
          MacOSX (with Carbon GUI): NOT OK

          Strange that the problem exhibits itself in the
          version compiled with the Carbon GUI, but not in the
          version without.

          Even if I run the (with Carbon GUI) version from
          within Terminal.app, I get the weird truncation
          error.

          -e

          --
          R. Edward Ralston <eralston@...>
          I'm going to live forever; or die trying.
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 13, 2002
            The following patch fixes a problem with 'patchmode'
            truncating long filenames on MacOSX built
            with the Carbon GUI.

            This patch is against vim 6.1.255

            ###### snip ######
            diff -C3 -r src.orig/os_mac.h src/os_mac.h
            *** src.orig/os_mac.h Sat Mar 9 10:17:30 2002
            --- src/os_mac.h Wed Nov 13 09:01:52 2002
            ***************
            *** 310,318 ****
            */
            #define CMDBUFFSIZE 1024 /* size of the command processing buffer */

            ! #define MAXPATHL 256 /* Limited by the Pascal Strings */
            !
            ! #define BASENAMELEN (32-5-1) /* length of base of filename */

            #ifndef DFLT_MAXMEM
            # define DFLT_MAXMEM 512 /* use up to 512 Kbyte for buffer */
            --- 310,322 ----
            */
            #define CMDBUFFSIZE 1024 /* size of the command processing buffer */

            ! #if defined(MACOS_X_UNIX)
            ! # define MAXPATHL 1024
            ! # define BASENAMELEN (MAXNAMLEN - 5) /* length of base of filename */
            ! #else
            ! # define MAXPATHL 256 /* Limited by the Pascal Strings */
            ! # define BASENAMELEN (32-5-1) /* length of base of filename */
            ! #endif

            --
            do daemons dream of electric sleep()?
            R. Edward Ralston <eralston@...>
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 13, 2002
              R. Edward Ralston wrote:
              > The following patch fixes a problem with 'patchmode'
              > truncating long filenames on MacOSX built
              > with the Carbon GUI.
              >
              > This patch is against vim 6.1.255

              [snip]
              > --- 310,322 ----
              > */
              > #define CMDBUFFSIZE 1024 /* size of the command processing buffer */
              >
              > ! #if defined(MACOS_X_UNIX)
              > ! # define MAXPATHL 1024
              > ! # define BASENAMELEN (MAXNAMLEN - 5) /* length of base of filename */
              > ! #else
              > ! # define MAXPATHL 256 /* Limited by the Pascal Strings */
              > ! # define BASENAMELEN (32-5-1) /* length of base of filename */
              > ! #endif
              >
              > #ifndef DFLT_MAXMEM
              > # define DFLT_MAXMEM 512 /* use up to 512 Kbyte for buffer */
              > ###### snip ######

              Thank you! If this patch works for me, I will post new binaries
              soon. (It has been a while...) What is the logic behind the definition
              of BASENAMELEN ? I assume -5 is to allow for the extension; it that
              guaranteed to be enough? Do we not need -1 for the "."?

              --Benji Fisher
            • R. Edward Ralston
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 13, 2002
                On 2002-11-13 09:55:22, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
                > Thank you! If this patch works for me, I will post new
                > binaries soon. (It has been a while...) What is the logic
                > behind the definition of BASENAMELEN ? I assume -5 is to allow
                > for the extension; it that guaranteed to be enough? Do we not
                > need -1 for the "."?
                >
                > --Benji Fisher

                I think that the "-5" isn't for the extension, but instead
                is used when the leading "." and trailing ".swp" are added
                to create the associated swap filename.

                -e

                --
                R. Edward Ralston <eralston@...>
                Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second time
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 13, 2002
                  Ed Ralston wrote:

                  > The following patch fixes a problem with 'patchmode'
                  > truncating long filenames on MacOSX built
                  > with the Carbon GUI.

                  Thanks, I'll include it.

                  11. Specify that your drive-through order is "to go".

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 17, 2002

                    Sorry, I have lost some of my e-mail. I saved the patch, though,
                    and tried it out. I do not have time to explore this more right now,
                    but here is the strange output of
                    :let @* = system("ls") :

                    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.originalfile
                    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.txt
                    fjdskanffnhjakfbnjsdakvnjf.originalfile
                    fjdskanffnhjakfbnjsdakvnjfgnrjwvnjfkanvjksad.txt

                    More strangeness: when I simply do

                    :ls

                    many of the longer files are not listed.

                    Details: I got this lovely collection if files by doing

                    :set patchmode=.originalfile
                    :e abc...txt
                    <add a line>
                    :w