patchmode truncates filename [carbon vim 6.1.184]

  • R. Edward Ralston
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2002
      "patchmode" appears to be munging long filenames.

      In your shell do:

      touch ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt

      then

      vim -u NONE -U NONE ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt

      once there, type some text, then

      :set patchmode=.originalfile
      :wq

      I then have the two files

      ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
      ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.originalfile

      in the current directory.
      Shouln't that instead be

      ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt.originalfile

      ???

      version follows.

      :ver
      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled 09/23/02 08:30:39)
      MacOS X (unix) version
      Included patches: 1-184
      Huge version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
      -clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
      +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
      +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
      +fork() -gettext -hangul_input -iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap
      -libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
      +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape -mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
      -mouse_netterm -mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -osfiletype +path_extra
      -perl +postscript +printer -python +quickfix +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind
      +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
      +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl -terminfo -termresponse +textobjects +title
      -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
      +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim
      -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
      system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "~/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "~/.exrc"
      system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
      user gvimrc file: "~/.gvimrc"

      Thanks.

      --
      R. Edward Ralston <eralston@...>
    • Piet Delport
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
        On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 at 11:29:59 -0500, R. Edward Ralston wrote:

        > "patchmode" appears to be munging long filenames.
        >
        > In your shell do:
        >
        > touch ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
        >
        > then
        >
        > vim -u NONE -U NONE ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
        >
        > once there, type some text, then
        >
        > :set patchmode=.originalfile
        > :wq
        >
        > I then have the two files
        >
        > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
        > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.originalfile
        >
        > in the current directory.
        > Shouln't that instead be
        >
        > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt.originalfile
        >
        > ???

        I get the expected (latter) result here (FreeBSD, Vim 6.1, see the
        message i posted just yesterday for my :ver).

        > :ver
        > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled 09/23/02 08:30:39)
        > MacOS X (unix) version
        [snip]

        From the way the extension gets munged, maybe MacOS X is responsible?
        Does it only happen with "long" filenames?

        --
        Piet Delport
        Today's subliminal thought is:
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
          Piet Delport wrote:

          > On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 at 11:29:59 -0500, R. Edward Ralston wrote:
          >
          > >"patchmode" appears to be munging long filenames.
          > >
          > >In your shell do:
          > >
          > > touch ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
          > >
          > >then
          > >
          > > vim -u NONE -U NONE ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
          > >
          > >once there, type some text, then
          > >
          > > :set patchmode=.originalfile
          > > :wq
          > >
          > >I then have the two files
          > >
          > > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt
          > > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.originalfile
          > >
          > >in the current directory.
          > >Shouln't that instead be
          > >
          > > ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.txt.originalfile
          > >
          > >???
          >

          > I get the expected (latter) result here (FreeBSD, Vim 6.1, see the
          > message i posted just yesterday for my :ver).
          >

          > >:ver
          > >VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled 09/23/02 08:30:39)
          > >MacOS X (unix) version
          >
          > [snip]
          >
          > From the way the extension gets munged, maybe MacOS X is responsible?
          > Does it only happen with "long" filenames?

          I see the same problem on Mac OSX. Yes, it only happens with long
          file names. Unless someone can reproduce this on another system, let's
          follow up on vim-mac but not vim-dev.

          --Benji Fisher
        • R. Edward Ralston
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2002
            Looks like a problem only on MacOSX, specifically with
            vim compiled with the Carbon GUI.

            I compiled different versions of vim 6.1.200:

            RH Linux 7.2 (with GTK GUI): ok
            MacOSX (without GUI): ok
            MacOSX (with Carbon GUI): NOT OK

            Strange that the problem exhibits itself in the
            version compiled with the Carbon GUI, but not in the
            version without.

            Even if I run the (with Carbon GUI) version from
            within Terminal.app, I get the weird truncation
            error.

            -e

            --
            R. Edward Ralston <eralston@...>
            I'm going to live forever; or die trying.
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 13, 2002
              The following patch fixes a problem with 'patchmode'
              truncating long filenames on MacOSX built
              with the Carbon GUI.

              This patch is against vim 6.1.255

              ###### snip ######
              diff -C3 -r src.orig/os_mac.h src/os_mac.h
              *** src.orig/os_mac.h Sat Mar 9 10:17:30 2002
              --- src/os_mac.h Wed Nov 13 09:01:52 2002
              ***************
              *** 310,318 ****
              */
              #define CMDBUFFSIZE 1024 /* size of the command processing buffer */

              ! #define MAXPATHL 256 /* Limited by the Pascal Strings */
              !
              ! #define BASENAMELEN (32-5-1) /* length of base of filename */

              #ifndef DFLT_MAXMEM
              # define DFLT_MAXMEM 512 /* use up to 512 Kbyte for buffer */
              --- 310,322 ----
              */
              #define CMDBUFFSIZE 1024 /* size of the command processing buffer */

              ! #if defined(MACOS_X_UNIX)
              ! # define MAXPATHL 1024
              ! # define BASENAMELEN (MAXNAMLEN - 5) /* length of base of filename */
              ! #else
              ! # define MAXPATHL 256 /* Limited by the Pascal Strings */
              ! # define BASENAMELEN (32-5-1) /* length of base of filename */
              ! #endif

              --
              do daemons dream of electric sleep()?
              R. Edward Ralston <eralston@...>
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 13, 2002
                R. Edward Ralston wrote:
                > The following patch fixes a problem with 'patchmode'
                > truncating long filenames on MacOSX built
                > with the Carbon GUI.
                >
                > This patch is against vim 6.1.255

                [snip]
                > --- 310,322 ----
                > */
                > #define CMDBUFFSIZE 1024 /* size of the command processing buffer */
                >
                > ! #if defined(MACOS_X_UNIX)
                > ! # define MAXPATHL 1024
                > ! # define BASENAMELEN (MAXNAMLEN - 5) /* length of base of filename */
                > ! #else
                > ! # define MAXPATHL 256 /* Limited by the Pascal Strings */
                > ! # define BASENAMELEN (32-5-1) /* length of base of filename */
                > ! #endif
                >
                > #ifndef DFLT_MAXMEM
                > # define DFLT_MAXMEM 512 /* use up to 512 Kbyte for buffer */
                > ###### snip ######

                Thank you! If this patch works for me, I will post new binaries
                soon. (It has been a while...) What is the logic behind the definition
                of BASENAMELEN ? I assume -5 is to allow for the extension; it that
                guaranteed to be enough? Do we not need -1 for the "."?

                --Benji Fisher
              • R. Edward Ralston
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 13, 2002
                  On 2002-11-13 09:55:22, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
                  > Thank you! If this patch works for me, I will post new
                  > binaries soon. (It has been a while...) What is the logic
                  > behind the definition of BASENAMELEN ? I assume -5 is to allow
                  > for the extension; it that guaranteed to be enough? Do we not
                  > need -1 for the "."?
                  >
                  > --Benji Fisher

                  I think that the "-5" isn't for the extension, but instead
                  is used when the leading "." and trailing ".swp" are added
                  to create the associated swap filename.

                  -e

                  --
                  R. Edward Ralston <eralston@...>
                  Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second time
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 13, 2002
                    Ed Ralston wrote:

                    > The following patch fixes a problem with 'patchmode'
                    > truncating long filenames on MacOSX built
                    > with the Carbon GUI.

                    Thanks, I'll include it.

                    11. Specify that your drive-through order is "to go".

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 17, 2002

                      Sorry, I have lost some of my e-mail. I saved the patch, though,
                      and tried it out. I do not have time to explore this more right now,
                      but here is the strange output of
                      :let @* = system("ls") :

                      abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.originalfile
                      abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.txt
                      fjdskanffnhjakfbnjsdakvnjf.originalfile
                      fjdskanffnhjakfbnjsdakvnjfgnrjwvnjfkanvjksad.txt

                      More strangeness: when I simply do

                      :ls

                      many of the longer files are not listed.

                      Details: I got this lovely collection if files by doing

                      :set patchmode=.originalfile
                      :e abc...txt
                      <add a line>
                      :w