Re: vimJag6.1.184 save clobbers type & creator?

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2002
      On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 08:34 AM, Seal, John J wrote:

      > I recently installed vimJag6.1.184 under Mac OS X 10.2.1, mainly to get
      > away
      > from the "Press Enter" bug. I also have the Tcl 8.4.0 programming
      > language
      > installed.
      >
      > While editing some .tcl files last night, I noticed an odd behavior.
      > These
      > .tcl files are normally set to open with Wish Shell.app. After editing
      > and
      > saving one with vim, double-clicking it still launched Wish Shell and
      > passed
      > the file as an argument, but Wish Shell apparently didn't know what to
      > do
      > with it anymore. Resetting "open with Wish Shell" fixed it again, but
      > on the
      > next save vim warned that the file had changed since it was last read.
      >
      > My guess is that setting "open with Wish Shell" adds creator code
      > "WiSH" to
      > the file, and that saving it from vim strips the code off again. Am I
      > on the
      > right track? Is there a setting to preserve type & creator codes?

      This could be a problem. I do not think that vim knows anything
      about creator codes and other "meta data." It is hard for me to
      investigate, since I do not use many Mac apps that rely on this.

      Can you try

      :set backupcopy=yes
      :help 'backupcopy'

      and maybe also change the 'backup' and 'writebackup' options? If this
      makes a difference, I will add an item to the FAQ, and considadding
      something to the default vimrc file that I distribute.

      --Benji Fisher