vimJag6.1.184 save clobbers type & creator?

  • Seal, John J
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2002
      I recently installed vimJag6.1.184 under Mac OS X 10.2.1, mainly to get away
      from the "Press Enter" bug. I also have the Tcl 8.4.0 programming language
      installed.

      While editing some .tcl files last night, I noticed an odd behavior. These
      .tcl files are normally set to open with Wish Shell.app. After editing and
      saving one with vim, double-clicking it still launched Wish Shell and passed
      the file as an argument, but Wish Shell apparently didn't know what to do
      with it anymore. Resetting "open with Wish Shell" fixed it again, but on the
      next save vim warned that the file had changed since it was last read.

      My guess is that setting "open with Wish Shell" adds creator code "WiSH" to
      the file, and that saving it from vim strips the code off again. Am I on the
      right track? Is there a setting to preserve type & creator codes?

      John Seal, Principal Software Engineer | Raytheon (MS-44) O-
      mailto:sealj@... | 6125 East 21st Street
      phone:317-306-4838 fax:317-306-3583 | Indianapolis, IN 46219-2058
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2002
        On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 08:34 AM, Seal, John J wrote:

        > I recently installed vimJag6.1.184 under Mac OS X 10.2.1, mainly to get
        > away
        > from the "Press Enter" bug. I also have the Tcl 8.4.0 programming
        > language
        > installed.
        >
        > While editing some .tcl files last night, I noticed an odd behavior.
        > These
        > .tcl files are normally set to open with Wish Shell.app. After editing
        > and
        > saving one with vim, double-clicking it still launched Wish Shell and
        > passed
        > the file as an argument, but Wish Shell apparently didn't know what to
        > do
        > with it anymore. Resetting "open with Wish Shell" fixed it again, but
        > on the
        > next save vim warned that the file had changed since it was last read.
        >
        > My guess is that setting "open with Wish Shell" adds creator code
        > "WiSH" to
        > the file, and that saving it from vim strips the code off again. Am I
        > on the
        > right track? Is there a setting to preserve type & creator codes?

        This could be a problem. I do not think that vim knows anything
        about creator codes and other "meta data." It is hard for me to
        investigate, since I do not use many Mac apps that rely on this.

        Can you try

        :set backupcopy=yes
        :help 'backupcopy'

        and maybe also change the 'backup' and 'writebackup' options? If this
        makes a difference, I will add an item to the FAQ, and considadding
        something to the default vimrc file that I distribute.

        --Benji Fisher