Vim 6.1.206 on macvim.swdev.org

  • Axel Kielhorn
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2002
      Hi all!

      Today I have uploaded a new version of Vim for Mac OS Classic to swdev.
      This version contains the "Hit return" patch and the PPC version
      contains a patch to enable printing.

      With this version you can now type :hardcopy >filename.ps to generate
      a PostScript file. If you set printexpr='' you can use the print
      command from the menu. It will generate a file called tmp0000001 or
      similar.

      The resulting files can be viewes with MacGhostScript (shareware) or
      MacGSViewer (freeware). The later has problems with coloured text.
      If you have a PostScript desktop printer, you can simply drop the
      file onto the icon to print.

      Axel
      --
      The Mac Vim page is now at:
      macvim.swdev.org/OSX for MacOS X
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2002
        Greetings all!

        I used to have VIM 6.0 on my machine, and it was configured with all the
        syntax colors that I enjoy and everything, then it stopped working. So I
        have just installed VIM 6.1 for Jaguar on my machine, yet every time I
        try to run it, I get the following error:
        vim: command not found

        However, when I browse through my files in Terminal, I see the vim files
        present. What could be the problem?

        Also, does anyone have any ideas for .vimrc for syntax colors? (assuming
        I get my VIM running)?

        Much appreciated,

        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
        | S. Raelynne Becerra |
        *---------Holmes 209 * 617-493-6170---------*
        | bit-o-honey@... |
        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
        | Fate is what you call it when you |
        * don't know the name of the person *
        | screwing you over... |
        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      • ewitness - Ben Fowler
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2002
          At 12:33 am -0400 8/10/02, S. Raelynne Becerra wrote:
          >Greetings all!
          >
          >I used to have VIM 6.0 on my machine, and it was configured with all the
          >syntax colors that I enjoy and everything, then it stopped working. So I
          >have just installed VIM 6.1 for Jaguar on my machine, yet every time I
          >try to run it, I get the following error:
          > vim: command not found

          Check your path.

          If your vim executable is /usr/local/bin/vim then you will either
          need to have /usr/local/bin on you path, or call vim with the
          full path.

          >However, when I browse through my files in Terminal, I see the vim files
          >present. What could be the problem?

          Try doing

          % which vim

          to check that the system can 'see' the vim files.

          Ben

          Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
            On Tuesday, October 8, 2002, at 12:33 AM, S. Raelynne Becerra wrote:

            > Greetings all!
            >
            > I used to have VIM 6.0 on my machine, and it was configured with all the
            > syntax colors that I enjoy and everything, then it stopped working.
            > So I
            > have just installed VIM 6.1 for Jaguar on my machine, yet every time I
            > try to run it, I get the following error:
            > vim: command not found
            >
            > However, when I browse through my files in Terminal, I see the vim files
            > present. What could be the problem?

            How did you install vim?

            > Also, does anyone have any ideas for .vimrc for syntax colors?
            > (assuming
            > I get my VIM running)?

            See the FAQ at http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX .

            HTH --Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2002
              On Tuesday, October 8, 2002, at 04:59 PM, Marc Liyanage wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              >>> and it installs like a packaged software bundle, but it still says
              >>> vim:
              >>> command not found...
              >
              > That is because Apple unfortunately removed /usr/local/bin from their
              > default command search path.
              >
              > You either have to start vim as
              >
              > /usr/local/bin/vim
              >
              > or add /usr/local/bin to your command search path. Check out my mysql
              > page for an example of how to do this in the default tcsh shell...

              They do some strange things...

              > There's nothing wrong with the package... It has been up there for a
              > while and I am sure it works on 10.2 because I use it heavily all the
              > time myself. I was able to compile soon after 10.2 was out it by using
              > gcc2 instead of the default gcc3. Interesting to hear about the 200+
              > patches though. I guess they enable a clean gcc3 compile?
              > Marc Liyanage                                  liyanage@...
              >                                             http://www.entropy.ch

              Thanks for the reply (and the package). I would have tested it
              myself, but my Jaguar disks are still in the box. (I backed up the
              system yesterday, so I will try it Real Soon Now.) Others are compiling
              vim (for Terminal.app and the Carbon version) with gcc3. I think there
              are some problems, not very serious, with configure. A couple of the
              patches are aimed at fixing these; you may still have to add -lncurses
              or something to the compile options. Only a few of the patches are
              mac-specific; most are aimed at fixing problems with the many new
              features added to vim 6.0.

              --Benji Fisher