Re: crashy vim...

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2002
      On Friday, October 4, 2002, at 04:30 AM, the shrubber wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Using William Lee's JavaImp plugin
      > http://www.vim.org/script.php?script_id=325 (the JIG command) crashes
      > my OS X vim (version 6.1.184 binary downloaded off Benji's site), but
      > not the vim that comes with fink (6.0)

      I would try to reproduce this, but the installation instructions in
      the JavaImp plugin look a little too complicated. (I do not do any Java
      development, so I am not sure how I would set the g:JavaImpPaths and
      g:JavaImpClassList variables.) Can you narrow this down to a simple,
      reproducible crash? It might help to step through the plugin in debug
      mode.

      :breakadd func *JavaImpGenerate
      :JIG

      should do it, if I remember the syntax correctly.

      :help debug-scripts

      Maybe

      :debug JIG

      will work, too (and is clearly simpler). At the debug prompt, bang on n
      (next) to step through the script.

      --Benji Fisher
    • The Shrubber
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 2002

        I have done a little of the requested debugging to find out why my vim
        kept crashing (see The Shrubber wrote) on the JavaImp script. After
        some debugging, i've found that it appears to happen in or right after
        the JavaAppendClass function call, and only when there are a lot of
        source files.

        The easiest way to replicate this is with some large open source project
        like Apache AXIS:

        http://xml.apache.org/axis/

        Download the source code, unzip it into your tmp directory (or wherever)
        and put something like this in your .vimrc

        let g:JavaImpSortBin = "sort"
        let g:JavaImpPaths = "/tmp/xml-axis-10/java/src"
        let g:JavaImpClassList = "/tmp/JavaImp.txt"

        Then invoke :JIG and watch vim crash. Now try running it through
        MallocDebug and watch it *not* crash. Hmmm...

        Cheers,

        (-S-)