Re: crashy vim...

  • the shrubber
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2002
      Answer to my MallocDebug question: you have to start it with the -v -g switch (although now it starts trying to open "/").

      Now, another precision about the crashiness: the JIG command of the plugin doesn't crash if you run Vim through MallocDebug...

      Weird, huh? Does this mean malloc is broken or something?

      (-S-)

      Protect yourself from spam, use http://sneakemail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2002
        On Friday, October 4, 2002, at 04:30 AM, the shrubber wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Using William Lee's JavaImp plugin
        > http://www.vim.org/script.php?script_id=325 (the JIG command) crashes
        > my OS X vim (version 6.1.184 binary downloaded off Benji's site), but
        > not the vim that comes with fink (6.0)

        I would try to reproduce this, but the installation instructions in
        the JavaImp plugin look a little too complicated. (I do not do any Java
        development, so I am not sure how I would set the g:JavaImpPaths and
        g:JavaImpClassList variables.) Can you narrow this down to a simple,
        reproducible crash? It might help to step through the plugin in debug
        mode.

        :breakadd func *JavaImpGenerate
        :JIG

        should do it, if I remember the syntax correctly.

        :help debug-scripts

        Maybe

        :debug JIG

        will work, too (and is clearly simpler). At the debug prompt, bang on n
        (next) to step through the script.

        --Benji Fisher
      • The Shrubber
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 20, 2002

          I have done a little of the requested debugging to find out why my vim
          kept crashing (see The Shrubber wrote) on the JavaImp script. After
          some debugging, i've found that it appears to happen in or right after
          the JavaAppendClass function call, and only when there are a lot of
          source files.

          The easiest way to replicate this is with some large open source project
          like Apache AXIS:

          http://xml.apache.org/axis/

          Download the source code, unzip it into your tmp directory (or wherever)
          and put something like this in your .vimrc

          let g:JavaImpSortBin = "sort"
          let g:JavaImpPaths = "/tmp/xml-axis-10/java/src"
          let g:JavaImpClassList = "/tmp/JavaImp.txt"

          Then invoke :JIG and watch vim crash. Now try running it through
          MallocDebug and watch it *not* crash. Hmmm...

          Cheers,

          (-S-)