encoding files in latin1

  • Baptiste Calmès
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2002
      Hello,

      I am a new vim user, so my question may seem fairly obvious, but I
      cannot figure it out. I am running vim under OS 10.2.1, and would like
      to save files using iso-latin-1 encoding. My keyboard is a french
      keyboard. How can I do this. I have tried giving values to encoding,
      termencoding, etc..., but my files seem to be always saved with mac os
      roman coding. I cannot understand how to set-up things properly.

      Thanks for any help.

      Baptiste Calmès
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2002
        On Thursday, October 3, 2002, at 10:41 AM, Baptiste Calmès wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I am a new vim user, so my question may seem fairly obvious, but I
        > cannot figure it out. I am running vim under OS 10.2.1, and would like
        > to save files using iso-latin-1 encoding. My keyboard is a french
        > keyboard. How can I do this. I have tried giving values to encoding,
        > termencoding, etc..., but my files seem to be always saved with mac os
        > roman coding. I cannot understand how to set-up things properly.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.
        >
        > Baptiste Calmès

        This is a known limitation, and Muraoka Taro is working on fixing
        it. I am not sure about the Terminal version of vim, but I believe that
        the XDarwin version works with latin-1. You can find details and links
        at
        http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX

        HTH --Benj Fisher