Re: Help with MacVim Classic

  • Axel Kielhorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2002
      At 22:48 Uhr +0200 2002-09-30, Alexandru Tudor Constantinescu wrote:
      >Dear Mr. Kielhorn, Dear Mr. Fisher (sorry for "cross-posting")
      >
      >Few days ago I installed MacVim, the latest version, 6.1.173
      >(VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Sep 1 2002 10:56:55)
      >MacOS version Included patches: 1-171)
      >(whoops, now I see that patches included are 1-171, where's the
      >naming problem?)

      My current version is 6.1.188. I will upload a new version soon.

      >I have to say that I am pretty used to Vim, but under IRIX, not
      >MacOS 9. I am not particularly fond of MacOS 9, but that's what I
      >have to work on and I think Vim is quite great for quickly editing
      >files.
      >
      >Problems:
      >1. Printing: trying to use the File/Print menu (or :hardcopy) gives
      >me the following error message:
      >E456: Can't open file "MacintoshHD:Applications (Mac OS
      >9):vim_6.1:vim61:runtime/procset.ps"
      >Trying to copy/paste the filename and :e it works fine, which means
      >that the file is there and that the version of Vim I am using does
      >take "/" as path separator, as it is stated in the docs. So where
      >and what am I doing wrong?

      To be honest, I never tried to print from Vim. But I get the same error.

      >2. tab-completion works only if there are no spaces in the directory
      >names. Now, personally I think it's not a bad idea to avoid spaces
      >in filenames, but I am not sure whether renaming folders like
      >"Applications (Mac OS 9)" would not cause major problems. Is there a
      >workaround for this?

      You can :cd to the directory with the space and continue from there.
      Or use :browse e and the file selector.

      >3. Is there a way to drag'n drop 2 or more files on the Vim icon and
      >have multiple windows open? (like `vim -o foo bar' under unix)

      No, you have to :split :n.

      >(Yet another) problem: if I double-click a file to open it in Vim, I
      >get to the "hit enter to continue" prompt. Above it it's only the
      >filename, no. of lines and characters. Is there a way around?
      >(there's no error message to be shortened by shortmess and
      >laststatus is set to 2

      This was corrected in my local version of 6.1.178 and reappeared in 6.1.188.
      I will include the patch in the next version I release. Probably this weekend.

      >01307 Dresden
      >Germany

      I hope everything is dry at your place.

      Axel