Re: help file problems

  • Axel Kielhorn
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2002
      At 15:56 Uhr +0900 2002-09-30, Kenichi Asai wrote:

      >The similar problem occured to me yesterday (after installing Vim
      >5.8.9 on MacOS 9). It seems that the problem comes from the format of
      >tags file (located in runtime:doc:tags). By default, it is in UNIX
      >format, but after converting it to Mac format, I received no error
      >message. But wasn't this problem solved long time ago? Or does the
      >tags file still have to be in Mac format?

      According to the docs the vimrc file can be Unix or Mac. It doesn't
      say anything about tag files.

      I have just tried my version of 6.1 and it handles Mac and Unix tags files.
      The difference between my version and the "official" version is, that
      i don't use fgets_cr anymore.

      So far I have seen no negative side effect, maybe we should make that official.
      It is only used 3 times in the source and it's removal will help to
      clean up the code. This may cause problems with older
      compilers/libraries, but works fine with CW Pro2.

      If this works for you I will prepare a patch for 5.8 and 6.1 and send
      it to Bram to make the change official.

      I'm not sure if we can get rid of USE_CR as well, but I will look
      into it over the long weekend.

      Axel
    • Kenichi Asai
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
        On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 07:13:58PM +0200,
        Axel Kielhorn wrote:

        > If this works for you I will prepare a patch for 5.8 and 6.1 and send
        > it to Bram to make the change official.

        Could you please send me the patch for 5.8? I will compile with it
        and test. I have tags file in both Unix and Mac formats, now.

        Sincerely,

        ---
        Kenichi Asai
      • Axel Kielhorn
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2002
          At 10:23 Uhr +0900 2002-10-03, Kenichi Asai wrote:
          >On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 07:13:58PM +0200,
          > Axel Kielhorn wrote:
          >
          >> If this works for you I will prepare a patch for 5.8 and 6.1 and send
          >> it to Bram to make the change official.
          >
          >Could you please send me the patch for 5.8? I will compile with it
          >and test. I have tags file in both Unix and Mac formats, now.

          After some more testing I discovered that my version of 6.1 only
          works sometimes when the tags file is in Unix format.

          This means we have to document that the tags file has to be in Mac format.

          Sorry. Things will hopefully get better in OS X which has Unix format
          as a default. I'm currently in the painfull process of migration.

          Axel

          --
          The Mac Vim page is now at:
          macvim.swdev.org/OSX for MacOS X