Re: to CVS or not to CVS?

  • Jeremy Brand, B.S.
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2002
      > First, the current state of affairs: The official version of the
      > vim sources is whatever Bram Moolenaar uploads to ftp.vim.org . A CVS
      > repository is maintained at SourceForge, but only for distribution.
      > That is, it provides a convenient way to download the source with
      > patches already applied. Developers submit patches to Bram, and he
      > writes his own; they become official when Bram sends them to the vim-dev
      > list, at which point they are automatically uploaded to ftp.vim.org and
      > added to the CVS version.

      I did not know this was automatic. I thought a human was involved. If
      this truely is the case, I should recommend then that the patch files Bram
      send to the list be signed (pgp/gpg) by him and the automatic scripts be
      updated to check validity.

      > My question: would it be a good idea to use CVS to coordinate the
      > development of vim for the Mac? So far, I have only used CVS to
      > download the source; I have never checked in a patch, for example. So I
      > am asking for opinions and advice from those who know more:

      > * Would CVS make your life easier? > * Would CVS make my life easier?

      The current vim system works. No reason to change what ain't broke. :)

      > * Do we have access to the CVS server on SourceForge? If not, maybe we
      > can get access to it, or maybe we could set up our own on
      > macvim.swdev.org .

      Yes, you do.

      -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/vim
      module: vim