Vim.app and custom keyboard layouts on Mac OS X

  • Alessio Bolognino
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hello Vim-Mac people,
      I found this very strange and annoying bug: I'm using a
      customized keyboard layout in Mac OS X, when I open Vim-app, the
      keyboard layout switches to the default one, even if I set my custom
      layout again, it stays there only until I come back to normal mode; so,
      every time I enter in normal mode, my keyboard layout changes for no
      reason and that's absolutely annoying. Furthermore, it seems like in OS
      X (I'm using Leopard, for the matter) I can't have a custom keyboard
      layout as the only one selected, so this workaround doesn't work.

      This happens with custom layouts (~/Library/Keyboard\ Layouts/) only.
      This bug has been reproduced on different machines.

      I'm using Vim-App 7.1.305 (@7.1.305_0+big+cscope+darwin_9+perl+python
      from macports)
      and putting:
      set imi=0
      set imd

      in my ~/.gvimrc doesn't help either.

      HELP!1! :)

      Cheers,
      --
      Alessio (molok) Bolognino

      Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
      GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
      Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF 2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB
    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008

        > This happens with custom layouts (~/Library/Keyboard\ Layouts/) only.
        > This bug has been reproduced on different machines.
        >
        > I'm using Vim-App 7.1.305 (@7.1.305_0+big+cscope+darwin_9+perl+python
        > from macports)
        > and putting:
        > set imi=0
        > set imd
        >
        > in my ~/.gvimrc doesn't help either.
        >
        > HELP!1! :)

        does it work if you use MacVim ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ )?

        Nico

      • Alessio Bolognino
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
          On Tue 2008-06-03 23:23, Nico Weber wrote:
          > does it work if you use MacVim ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ )?

          I didn't know about MacVim, I just tried the latest snapshot and it
          works just fine, no keyboard layouts issues.
          I could switch to MacVim without any problem for my daily use; anyway,
          the bug of Vim.app is still there.

          First reply to my mail and it already helped a lot, thank you guys.

          --
          Alessio (molok) Bolognino

          Please send personal email to themolok@...

          Public Key http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFE0270FB
          GPG Key ID = 1024D / FE0270FB 2007-04-11
          Key Fingerprint = 9AF8 9011 F271 450D 59CF 2D7D 96C9 8F2A FE02 70FB
        • William
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
            > does it work if you use MacVim ( http://code.google.com/p/macvim/ )?

            Yes, that's one of the reasons that made me switch to MacVim.

            William

            --
            What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.

          • Nico Weber
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
              > I could switch to MacVim without any problem for my daily use; anyway,
              > the bug of Vim.app is still there.

              Vim.app has lots of bugs, and it's based on a deprecated API. I'm
              pretty sure it will be replaced one day, either by vim-cocoa or by
              MacVim. The former is closer too the original gvim, the latter is
              closer to a true mac app (supports multiple windows, etc. See http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/c16868aa7dcad59b/9563a5f3302784fb?lnk=gst#9563a5f3302784fb
              for a detailed post about this).

              Furthermore, MacVim is _very_ actively developed (sometimes bugs you
              report are fixed just a few hours later), see http://repo.or.cz/w/MacVim.git
              . vim-cocoa is also actively developed ( http://repo.or.cz/w/vim-cocoa.git
              ). Vim.app is not really maintained at all. There are patches every
              now and then, but no developer really feels responsible for it. On the
              other hand, if you report bugs for MacVim or vim-cocoa, Bjorn or Jigod
              will feel responsible and usually fix your problem for you.

              So, I'd recommend that you give MacVim a try, it offers the best vim
              experience on OS X. If you really long for the feel of Vim.app, use
              vim-cocoa.

              HTH,
              Nico

            • Alessio Bolognino
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
                On Tue 2008-06-03 23:54, Nico Weber wrote:

                > > I could switch to MacVim without any problem for my daily use; anyway,
                > > the bug of Vim.app is still there.
                >
                > Vim.app has lots of bugs, and it's based on a deprecated API. I'm
                > pretty sure it will be replaced one day, either by vim-cocoa or by
                > MacVim. The former is closer too the original gvim, the latter is
                > closer to a true mac app (supports multiple windows, etc. See http://groups.google.com/group/vim_mac/browse_thread/thread/c16868aa7dcad59b/9563a5f3302784fb?lnk=gst#9563a5f3302784fb
                > for a detailed post about this).
                >
                > Furthermore, MacVim is _very_ actively developed (sometimes bugs you
                > report are fixed just a few hours later), see http://repo.or.cz/w/MacVim.git
                > . vim-cocoa is also actively developed ( http://repo.or.cz/w/vim-cocoa.git
                > ). Vim.app is not really maintained at all. There are patches every
                > now and then, but no developer really feels responsible for it. On the
                > other hand, if you report bugs for MacVim or vim-cocoa, Bjorn or Jigod
                > will feel responsible and usually fix your problem for you.
                >
                > So, I'd recommend that you give MacVim a try, it offers the best vim
                > experience on OS X. If you really long for the feel of Vim.app, use
                > vim-cocoa.

                Thanks a lot, now everything is more clear; for the record, Vim-cocoa is
                not affected by the keyboard layout bug.