to CVS or not to CVS?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2002
      First, the current state of affairs: The official version of the
      vim sources is whatever Bram Moolenaar uploads to ftp.vim.org . A CVS
      repository is maintained at SourceForge, but only for distribution.
      That is, it provides a convenient way to download the source with
      patches already applied. Developers submit patches to Bram, and he
      writes his own; they become official when Bram sends them to the vim-dev
      list, at which point they are automatically uploaded to ftp.vim.org and
      added to the CVS version. Today, for example, I sent dialogue.diff
      (available on http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX) to Bram, he approved, and it
      is now Patch 6.1.198. (I will soon remove it from my web site.)

      My question: would it be a good idea to use CVS to coordinate the
      development of vim for the Mac? So far, I have only used CVS to
      download the source; I have never checked in a patch, for example. So I
      am asking for opinions and advice from those who know more:

      * Would CVS make your life easier?

      * Would CVS make my life easier?

      * Do we have access to the CVS server on SourceForge? If not, maybe we
      can get access to it, or maybe we could set up our own on
      macvim.swdev.org .

      --Benji Fisher
    • Jeremy Brand, B.S.
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27, 2002
        > First, the current state of affairs: The official version of the
        > vim sources is whatever Bram Moolenaar uploads to ftp.vim.org . A CVS
        > repository is maintained at SourceForge, but only for distribution.
        > That is, it provides a convenient way to download the source with
        > patches already applied. Developers submit patches to Bram, and he
        > writes his own; they become official when Bram sends them to the vim-dev
        > list, at which point they are automatically uploaded to ftp.vim.org and
        > added to the CVS version.

        I did not know this was automatic. I thought a human was involved. If
        this truely is the case, I should recommend then that the patch files Bram
        send to the list be signed (pgp/gpg) by him and the automatic scripts be
        updated to check validity.

        > My question: would it be a good idea to use CVS to coordinate the
        > development of vim for the Mac? So far, I have only used CVS to
        > download the source; I have never checked in a patch, for example. So I
        > am asking for opinions and advice from those who know more:

        > * Would CVS make your life easier? > * Would CVS make my life easier?

        The current vim system works. No reason to change what ain't broke. :)

        > * Do we have access to the CVS server on SourceForge? If not, maybe we
        > can get access to it, or maybe we could set up our own on
        > macvim.swdev.org .

        Yes, you do.

        -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/vim
        module: vim