Hide MacVim After Last Window Closes

  • Edwin Shao
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
      Is there anyway to hide MacVim after the last window closes or run
      some sort of daemon to speed up the load time of MacVim?

      It takes ~2 seconds to load a textfile when MacVim is not running and
      ~.2 seconds when MacVim is already up, so I don't want to quit the
      application. But at the same time, I would like it out of the way
      after I'm done editing the last file. What would be the best way of
      achieving this?

      Thanks,
      Edwin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
        2008/6/2 Edwin Shao <poleris@...>:

        > Is there anyway to hide MacVim after the last window closes or run
        > some sort of daemon to speed up the load time of MacVim?
        >
        > It takes ~2 seconds to load a textfile when MacVim is not running and
        > ~.2 seconds when MacVim is already up, so I don't want to quit the
        > application. But at the same time, I would like it out of the way
        > after I'm done editing the last file. What would be the best way of
        > achieving this?

        I'm not sure exactly how you would accomplish this, but sending

        :maca hide:<CR>

        after you've finished editing the last file would hide MacVim without
        closing it. Maybe you could use this inside a mapping or an
        autocommand or something? Anybody else have any ideas how to do this?

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008

          > It takes ~2 seconds to load a textfile when MacVim is not running and
          > ~.2 seconds when MacVim is already up, so I don't want to quit the
          > application. But at the same time, I would like it out of the way
          > after I'm done editing the last file. What would be the best way of
          > achieving this?

          what don't you like about hitting ⌘H when you don't need MacVim any
          more?

          Nico
        • Ben Schmidt
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
            björn wrote:
            > 2008/6/2 Edwin Shao <poleris@...>:
            >> Is there anyway to hide MacVim after the last window closes or run
            >> some sort of daemon to speed up the load time of MacVim?
            >>
            >> It takes ~2 seconds to load a textfile when MacVim is not running and
            >> ~.2 seconds when MacVim is already up, so I don't want to quit the
            >> application. But at the same time, I would like it out of the way
            >> after I'm done editing the last file. What would be the best way of
            >> achieving this?
            >
            > I'm not sure exactly how you would accomplish this, but sending
            >
            > :maca hide:<CR>
            >
            > after you've finished editing the last file would hide MacVim without
            > closing it. Maybe you could use this inside a mapping or an
            > autocommand or something? Anybody else have any ideas how to do this?

            A good idea, Björn, but it doesn't work, i.e.

            au VimLeave * maca hide:

            has no effect. Neither does

            au VimLeavePre * maca hide:

            Maybe both these autocommands fire after the connection to MacVim is already
            closed. I guess for many autocommands that wouldn't matter, but it definitely
            matters if you want to use :maca! Do you reckon that's changeable?

            At any rate, if you can figure out why the above doesn't work and fix it, then it
            would be easily achieveable with

            au VimLeave * if len(split(serverlist(),"\n"))==1 | maca hide: | endif

            i.e. when the last Vim server is closing, hide MacVim.

            I can't think of any other way to do this at this stage without adding code to do
            so to MacVim. The autocommand solution is nicer IMHO, if the :maca at VimLeave
            time could be addressed.

            Ben.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
              2008/6/3 Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schmidt@...>:

              > björn wrote:
              >> 2008/6/2 Edwin Shao <poleris@...>:
              >>> Is there anyway to hide MacVim after the last window closes or run
              >>> some sort of daemon to speed up the load time of MacVim?
              >>>
              >>> It takes ~2 seconds to load a textfile when MacVim is not running and
              >>> ~.2 seconds when MacVim is already up, so I don't want to quit the
              >>> application. But at the same time, I would like it out of the way
              >>> after I'm done editing the last file. What would be the best way of
              >>> achieving this?
              >>
              >> I'm not sure exactly how you would accomplish this, but sending
              >>
              >> :maca hide:<CR>
              >>
              >> after you've finished editing the last file would hide MacVim without
              >> closing it. Maybe you could use this inside a mapping or an
              >> autocommand or something? Anybody else have any ideas how to do this?
              >
              > A good idea, Björn, but it doesn't work, i.e.
              >
              > au VimLeave * maca hide:
              >
              > has no effect. Neither does
              >
              > au VimLeavePre * maca hide:
              >
              > Maybe both these autocommands fire after the connection to MacVim is already
              > closed. I guess for many autocommands that wouldn't matter, but it definitely
              > matters if you want to use :maca! Do you reckon that's changeable?
              >
              > At any rate, if you can figure out why the above doesn't work and fix it, then it
              > would be easily achieveable with
              >
              > au VimLeave * if len(split(serverlist(),"\n"))==1 | maca hide: | endif
              >
              > i.e. when the last Vim server is closing, hide MacVim.
              >
              > I can't think of any other way to do this at this stage without adding code to do
              > so to MacVim. The autocommand solution is nicer IMHO, if the :maca at VimLeave
              > time could be addressed.

              You may be right that the autocommand fires "too late"...I will look into it.