Re: How do I donate to the project?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
      2008/6/2 Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...>:

      >> I use this software almost as much as TextMate, and it will probably
      >> be my primary editor very soon. I paid for TextMate, where can I go to
      >> donate to this project as a sign of appreciation?
      >
      > MacVim does not accept donations on its own at the moment. I don't
      > know how this will be handled in the long run (I guess no-one is into
      > open source for the money -- as it usually doesn't pay enough -- but
      > requests for donations tied to a specific cause might pop up now and
      > then. For example, a while back donations were used to get Bjorn a new
      > mac as his old one got broken).

      I don't really want to keep the PayPal donation link on the MacVim.app
      project page, partly because I'm not entirely clear on the legal
      issues. I do know that there is no tax on "gifts" in Sweden (where I
      currently live) so from my perspective there should be no problems.
      How it works for the person donating though I have no idea.

      Mainly though the MacVim project doesn't rely on donations since I do
      have a "job" so a donation system seems like asking for money when I
      don't really need it. (I did take donations for the new Mac since
      that was outside my budget.)

      > In the meantime, vim itself does accept donations: http://www.vim.org/sponsor/index.php
      > Since donations to vim are used for charity, your donation might
      > even be tax deductible (see `:h sponsor-faq`) :-P

      Donating to ICCF seems much nobler than donating to my pocket. If you
      want to show your support to MacVim, then please consider donating to
      ICCF and email me personally to let me know how much you enjoy MacVim
      (that will make me happy).