Re: Latex Suite

  • krisse
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hello Martin,

      I'm also an avid vim latex suite user, and it works just fine with vim
      on the mac.

      Install latex suite manually, following the instructions at [1], which
      you've no doubt seen, and you're good to go. :-D

      I haven't really encountered any issues worth mentioning -- at least,
      not when using MacVim. As Nico said, there are several gui:s for vim
      on the mac. I think I stumbled on some problems initially having
      chosen wrong there. (Can't say for sure, as I've recently done a
      reinstall, went straight for MacVim, and there was no trouble now.)

      /Kristian

      [1] http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=download

    • d.avitabile@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
        I confirm that everything works fine with VimLaTeX and MacVim. The
        instructions provided by Ted allow you to forward/backward search to/
        from .pdf files (something that I couldn't do when I was a Linux
        user).

        The only problems with Vim-LaTeX are Vim-LaTeX bugs, which have
        nothing to do with MacVim.

        I have posted several times on this forum about VimLaTeX on MacVim: do
        a quick search and you'll find some useful hints.

        As you are new to Mac (as I was two months ago), I should warn you
        against the completion. On my keyboard, F9 is mapped to an iTunes
        command. On top of that, Fn+F9 (which is expected to do a "real F9" is
        mapped to exposé). As a result, I haven't managed even to try
        completion with Vim-LaTeX. But, again, this is not a MacVim problem.
        It is indeed a Vim-LaTeX - Mac OS X problem.

        In summary: I was in your very same conditions a few months ago. Years
        of Vim and VimLaTeX under Linux, and about to switch to Mac OS. MacVim
        is great: you won't miss GVim or Vim.

        Best.

        Daniele

        On Jun 1, 10:22 am, krisse <kristian.ni...@...> wrote:
        > Hello Martin,
        >
        > I'm also an avid vim latex suite user, and it works just fine with vim
        > on the mac.
        >
        > Install latex suite manually, following the instructions at [1], which
        > you've no doubt seen, and you're good to go. :-D
        >
        > I haven't really encountered any issues worth mentioning -- at least,
        > not when using MacVim. As Nico said, there are several gui:s for vim
        > on the mac. I think I stumbled on some problems initially having
        > chosen wrong there. (Can't say for sure, as I've recently done a
        > reinstall, went straight for MacVim, and there was no trouble now.)
        >
        > /Kristian
        >
        > [1]http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=download
        >
        > On May 31, 10:49 am, "martin.paes...@..."
        >
        > <martin.paes...@...> wrote:
        > > Hi evryone,
        >
        > > currently, I'm still running linux, but testing the MacBook right now
        > > and plan to get one my own.
        >
        > > On Linux my favorite editor is the vim. For writing tex-files I
        > > installed vim latex suite. That's one thing I don't wanna miss
        > > converting to Mac. Probably the only thing.
        > > Does anybody know about latex suite for Mac? Does it work together
        > > with vim_mac? Are there known issues?
        >
        > > I'm happy hearing about vim_mac. The screen shots look quite fancy and
        > > the quotes regarding vim_mac are really convincing. So, vim_mac will
        > > be surely the choice for my own Mac.
        >
        > > Best,
        > > martin
      • Ted Pavlic
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2008
          Daniele (and others) --

          > The only problems with Vim-LaTeX are Vim-LaTeX bugs, which have
          > nothing to do with MacVim.

          I don't know if you were aware of this development, but (primarily due
          to the enthusiasm of Martin Sander) there have been significant
          developments on one major problem with Vim-LaTeX processing latex error
          messages. See:

          http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2008/03/fixing-vim-latex-compiler-error.html

          In my personal setup, I use the shell script:

          http://links.tedpavlic.com/shell_scripts/vimlatex

          around my LaTeX compile line. It sanitizes LaTeX error messages to be a
          form that Vim can understand.

          Another (perhaps simpler) fix is documented on the blog. Most modern
          implementations of LaTeX can take a special flag that cleans up its own
          error (but not warning) messages. You then have to modify your LaTeX
          suite slightly (add one line to one file) and everything works well.

          > As you are new to Mac (as I was two months ago), I should warn you
          > against the completion. On my keyboard, F9 is mapped to an iTunes
          > command. On top of that, Fn+F9 (which is expected to do a "real F9" is
          > mapped to exposé). As a result, I haven't managed even to try
          > completion with Vim-LaTeX. But, again, this is not a MacVim problem.
          > It is indeed a Vim-LaTeX - Mac OS X problem.

          I know this has been covered before, but I'm sure you can tell
          Expos\'{e} to use some other key. Additionally, I'm sure you could tell
          MacVim to use a different key for completion. I'm sure these suggestions
          have been made before, so there's no need to carry on that thread
          here... but I just wanted to mumble those things just in case.

          > In summary: I was in your very same conditions a few months ago. Years
          > of Vim and VimLaTeX under Linux, and about to switch to Mac OS. MacVim
          > is great: you won't miss GVim or Vim.

          Nowadays, it's the combination of MacVim and Skim that prevent me from
          even considering switching to Linux (or that other hardly ever used
          operating system by SoftMicrophone or whatever they're called).

          --Ted

          --
          Ted Pavlic <ted@...>