Re: Integrated Update process not working

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26 12:25 PM
      Hi,

      > When running the update from inside macvim I get the following error:
      > "An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again
      > later."
      >
      > Running Leopard with latest updates.
      > Do have stuffit installed.
      > Manual update via extract and copy works fine.
      > Looked at the logs in console app to see if there was any evidence,
      > none found.
      >
      > Love to be able to take advantage of the process... just can't get it
      > working. It has never worked (since the feature was added).

      that's strange. MacVim uses the Sparkle framework for automatic
      updates. Perhaps this is a Sparkle problem?

      The BibDesk developers don't want to add Sparkle support to BibDesk
      because it is "too buggy" ( http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1682848&group_id=61487&atid=497426
      ) and they want to wait for an updated version of Sparkle. The
      developer of Sparkle is apparently suffering from the "second system
      syndrome" (v2 is always takes forever and includes lots of stuff
      nobody needs), so this will probably take a while.

      What you can try: Get Skim from http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/ (the
      BibDesk people claim that they fixed most Sparkle bugs in Skim). Then
      context-click Skim.app, choose "Show Package Contents". Then show
      package contents of MacVim.app too. Then copy Sparkle.framework from
      Skim.app/Contents/Frameworks to MacVim.app/Contents/Frameworks (ie.
      overwrite MacVim's Sparkle with Skim's). See if that helps. If it does
      help, then this is a sparkle bug and we should perhaps use the changes
      the Skim people did to Sparkle. If that does not help, it doesn't tell
      us much :-P

      So, does it work with Skim's Sparkle?

      Nico