Re: MacOS X, iconv and gettext emulation (2nd version)

  • MURAOKA Taro
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 17, 2002
      > in Make_osx.mak I was able to compile. (I assume this is a difference
      > between OSX 10.1 and 10.2).

      Yes, right. I changed that for Jaguar.

      > I tried the test described above, and got
      > the ASCII value 8E, instead of the E9 that Sébastien Pierre expects.
      > In other words, I confirm the results of his test.

      > Sébastien Pierre: Did you try this test with the XDarwin version and
      > get the expected results?

      > Muraoka Taro: Do you get the same result?

      Yes, I got same result.
      One of reaseson of this is that 'encoding' option
      can't take value "MacRoman".
      So, after apply an additionaly patch I sended, I could get right ASCII value E9.

      But as Sébastien Pierre reported, there may be some other bugs on iconv.
      Vim freezes and wastes memory and CPU when quit.
      I think, it may relate to both writting viminfo and iconv.
      I am trying to solve this problem.
      ----
      MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 17, 2002
        MURAOKA Taro wrote:

        > > I tried the test described above, and got
        > > the ASCII value 8E, instead of the E9 that Sébastien Pierre expects.
        > > In other words, I confirm the results of his test.
        >
        > > Muraoka Taro: Do you get the same result?
        >
        > Yes, I got same result.
        > One of reaseson of this is that 'encoding' option
        > can't take value "MacRoman".
        > So, after apply an additionaly patch I sended, I could get right ASCII value E9.

        Yes, I applied that patch as well, but I could not get E9.

        > But as Sébastien Pierre reported, there may be some other bugs on iconv.
        > Vim freezes and wastes memory and CPU when quit.
        > I think, it may relate to both writting viminfo and iconv.
        > I am trying to solve this problem.

        I did not have any such problems. When you post your next version, please
        say how you get the right ASCII code, so that I can try to reproduce it.

        --Benji Fisher
      • Sébastien Pierre
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 17, 2002
          Le mercredi, 18 sep 2002, à 00:44 Europe/Paris, MURAOKA Taro a écrit :

          > Yes, I got same result.
          > One of reaseson of this is that 'encoding' option
          > can't take value "MacRoman".
          > So, after apply an additionaly patch I sended, I could get right ASCII
          > value E9.
          >
          > But as Sébastien Pierre reported, there may be some other bugs on
          > iconv.
          > Vim freezes and wastes memory and CPU when quit.
          > I think, it may relate to both writting viminfo and iconv.
          > I am trying to solve this problem.

          I would add that I can't even start vim. The app opens but freezes and
          memory and cpu usage grows, grows, grows... until I kill the app
          because it starts to slow down the system!

          Anyway, I think we are near the end of the tunnel, and will have a
          proper encoding support thanks to Taro :)

          -- Sébastien.
          --
          «Life begins at the centerfold and expands outward.»
          <http://www.type-z.org> -- Miss November, 1966
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 17, 2002
            Le mercredi, 18 sep 2002, à 02:59 Europe/Paris, Benji Fisher a écrit :

            > I did not have any such problems. When you post your next version,
            > please
            > say how you get the right ASCII code, so that I can try to reproduce
            > it.

            This was after applying Muraoka Taro's small patch for mbyte.c, where
            it added a #define MACROMAN. I guess you didn't apply this one.

            -- Sébastien

            --
            Q: What drug makes the experience of listening to you guys so much
            better? herb just isnt enough for me anymore.