Re: MacVim Integration in "Open-with" Dialog

    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2008
      2008/5/3 netsrac <Carsten@...>:

      > I'm using vim/gvim since my first steps on Unix...and I love it...I
      > open nearly every file using vim. No matter if this is a binary or
      > textfile. I love the way you can search and edit with vim.
      >
      > Is there are chance to permanently integrate MacVim into the "Open-
      > with" dialog, so that you have to chance to open any file with
      > MacVim?
      >
      > I know you can select it from your application folder and it will
      > added to the list, but this is not always saved, so any kind of
      > integration in the right-click menu would help...

      Each Mac OS X app comes with a file called Info.plist which contains a
      list of all filetypes the app associates with. Currently I have just
      randomly added some entires to this list but if you tell me which
      files you want associated with MacVim I will consider adding them to
      this list. Note that I will not add binary files to this list, only
      text files.

      /Björn

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2008
        > I'm using vim/gvim since my first steps on Unix...and I love it...I
        > open nearly every file using vim. No matter if this is a binary or
        > textfile. I love the way you can search and edit with vim.
        >
        > Is there are chance to permanently integrate MacVim into the "Open-
        > with" dialog, so that you have to chance to open any file with
        > MacVim?
        >
        > I know you can select it from your application folder and it will
        > added to the list, but this is not always saved, so any kind of
        > integration in the right-click menu would help...

        You can add a "Edit with MacVim" context menu quite easily with
        OnMyCommand ( http://www.abracode.com/free/cmworkshop/
        on_my_command.html ).

        If you have to have MacVim in the "Open with" dialog, you have to
        change MacVim's Info.plist, so the first approach might be more viable.

        HTH,
        Nico

      • netsrac
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2008
          Thanks to both of you...it was a great help!

          Didn't know of the existence of OnMyCommand - I used this now to add a
          "Edit with MacVim" command and it solves all my problems.

          There might be some filetypes which makes sense to add to the
          info.plist - I'll have a look into this later and will report what I'm
          missing.

          Thanks...Netsrac

        • hardkrash
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6, 2008
            Try using AppHack, it eases the creation and manipulation of the
            filetype plists.

            http://www.sveinbjorn.org/apphack