MacVim Integration in "Open-with" Dialog

  • netsrac
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2008

      I'm using vim/gvim since my first steps on Unix...and I love it...I
      open nearly every file using vim. No matter if this is a binary or
      textfile. I love the way you can search and edit with vim.

      Is there are chance to permanently integrate MacVim into the "Open-
      with" dialog, so that you have to chance to open any file with
      MacVim?

      I know you can select it from your application folder and it will
      added to the list, but this is not always saved, so any kind of
      integration in the right-click menu would help...

      Thanks, Netsrac

      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2008
        2008/5/3 netsrac <Carsten@...>:

        > I'm using vim/gvim since my first steps on Unix...and I love it...I
        > open nearly every file using vim. No matter if this is a binary or
        > textfile. I love the way you can search and edit with vim.
        >
        > Is there are chance to permanently integrate MacVim into the "Open-
        > with" dialog, so that you have to chance to open any file with
        > MacVim?
        >
        > I know you can select it from your application folder and it will
        > added to the list, but this is not always saved, so any kind of
        > integration in the right-click menu would help...

        Each Mac OS X app comes with a file called Info.plist which contains a
        list of all filetypes the app associates with. Currently I have just
        randomly added some entires to this list but if you tell me which
        files you want associated with MacVim I will consider adding them to
        this list. Note that I will not add binary files to this list, only
        text files.

        /Björn

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2008
          > I'm using vim/gvim since my first steps on Unix...and I love it...I
          > open nearly every file using vim. No matter if this is a binary or
          > textfile. I love the way you can search and edit with vim.
          >
          > Is there are chance to permanently integrate MacVim into the "Open-
          > with" dialog, so that you have to chance to open any file with
          > MacVim?
          >
          > I know you can select it from your application folder and it will
          > added to the list, but this is not always saved, so any kind of
          > integration in the right-click menu would help...

          You can add a "Edit with MacVim" context menu quite easily with
          OnMyCommand ( http://www.abracode.com/free/cmworkshop/
          on_my_command.html ).

          If you have to have MacVim in the "Open with" dialog, you have to
          change MacVim's Info.plist, so the first approach might be more viable.

          HTH,
          Nico

        • netsrac
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2008
            Thanks to both of you...it was a great help!

            Didn't know of the existence of OnMyCommand - I used this now to add a
            "Edit with MacVim" command and it solves all my problems.

            There might be some filetypes which makes sense to add to the
            info.plist - I'll have a look into this later and will report what I'm
            missing.

            Thanks...Netsrac

          • hardkrash
            Message 5 of 5 , May 6, 2008
              Try using AppHack, it eases the creation and manipulation of the
              filetype plists.

              http://www.sveinbjorn.org/apphack