Syncing vim runtime files

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
      Bjorn,

      what's the general strategy for syncing the runtime files from ftp? Do
      you want to keep doing this in an ad-hoc manner? I think merging the
      latest runtime changes periodically (daily or biweekly) might be a
      better idea, since the runtime diffs stay smaller (and thus, more
      readable).

      If you think doing this manually is to much work, I could probably
      write a small script that periodically rsyncs the latest runtime files
      and pushes the changes to a forked repository if you want. Then you
      can pull from there at times that are convenient for you -- then you
      don't have additional work, but we still have manageable diffs.

      Nico

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
        On 03/04/2008, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

        > what's the general strategy for syncing the runtime files from ftp? Do
        > you want to keep doing this in an ad-hoc manner? I think merging the
        > latest runtime changes periodically (daily or biweekly) might be a
        > better idea, since the runtime diffs stay smaller (and thus, more
        > readable).
        >
        > If you think doing this manually is to much work, I could probably
        > write a small script that periodically rsyncs the latest runtime files
        > and pushes the changes to a forked repository if you want. Then you
        > can pull from there at times that are convenient for you -- then you
        > don't have additional work, but we still have manageable diffs.

        I haven't really thought about it much...but maybe I should do it a
        bit more often. Don't you think once before each snapshot would be
        enough? (Do the runtime files really change that often?)

        Anyway, I think I have an idea of how to automate this myself (I did
        pretty much what you outlined above when I updated the runtimes). Let
        me try that first and if it fails I'll get back to you.

        Thanks for the suggestion,

      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
          > I haven't really thought about it much...but maybe I should do it a
          > bit more often. Don't you think once before each snapshot would be
          > enough? (Do the runtime files really change that often?)

          I don't know how often they change. But in the last merge, 239 files
          were changed, and as far as I can tell the merge merged all changes
          from may 07 until march 08 (10 months) -- that means that about 23.9
          files change per month, or one file changes about every 1.26 days.
          Syncing each snapshot (2 to 3 weeks) would have changes to about 12 to
          18 files (and gives a time resolution of two to three weeks, duh).

          I think syncing once per week is more predictable than once per
          snapshot -- weeks are a more regular time intervall :-)

          Nico

        • Ben Schmidt
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
            > I think syncing once per week is more predictable than once per
            > snapshot -- weeks are a more regular time intervall :-)

            I personally think it would be good to update the Vim sources in MacVim regularly,
            too, though this can be more difficult, of course. Still, it would be a very nice
            thing to know that at least the repo is, at worst, a week behind the Vim mainline.

            Ben.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2008
              On 04/04/2008, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

              > > I think syncing once per week is more predictable than once per
              > > snapshot -- weeks are a more regular time intervall :-)
              >
              > I personally think it would be good to update the Vim sources in MacVim regularly,
              > too, though this can be more difficult, of course. Still, it would be a very nice
              > thing to know that at least the repo is, at worst, a week behind the Vim mainline.

              Sure, at the moment it is a bit haphazard (usually before each
              snapshot)...I'll try to do it more regularly.

              /Björn

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2008
                On 03/04/2008, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:

                > > I haven't really thought about it much...but maybe I should do it a
                > > bit more often. Don't you think once before each snapshot would be
                > > enough? (Do the runtime files really change that often?)
                >

                > I don't know how often they change. But in the last merge, 239 files
                > were changed, and as far as I can tell the merge merged all changes
                > from may 07 until march 08 (10 months) -- that means that about 23.9
                > files change per month, or one file changes about every 1.26 days.
                > Syncing each snapshot (2 to 3 weeks) would have changes to about 12 to
                > 18 files (and gives a time resolution of two to three weeks, duh).
                >
                > I think syncing once per week is more predictable than once per
                > snapshot -- weeks are a more regular time intervall :-)

                I just updated the runtime files (locally, not yet pushed) and man
                that was a pain...maybe somebody can give some pointers on how to make
                this smoother. Here's what I did:

                1. checkout the remote tracking branch of the svn repo of vim (which I
                call svn-vim) to a local branch:
                git-checkout -b vim svn-vim

                2. oops, forgot to fetch latest changes to svn-vim first, do it now and merge:
                git-fetch svn-vim
                git-merge svn-vim

                3. there, now i have latest svn version of vim, but the runtime files
                are the ones in the svn repo, so i rsync from the ftp server (all
                commands from the root directory of the entire vim project):
                rsync -avzcP --delete --exclude="dos" --exclude="spell"
                ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/ runtime/

                4. I want to keep the "vim" branch so that I can do steps #2 and #3
                again to update the source+runtimes, so I make a commit. hold on
                though...some runtime files were added and some removed:
                git-add runtime
                git-rm each and every file that was removed
                git-commit -m "Update runtime files"

                phew! git-rm on every file that was removed (gleaned from git-status)
                was painful...but ok. now I have a commit with all updated runtime
                files.

                5. time to merge into "master":
                git-checkout master
                git-merge vim

                holy smoke! 10^{a very large number} of CONFLICTs. it seems git did
                not realize that for almost all those conflicts it should have picked
                the version inside the "vim" branch (these conflicts stem from the
                fact that I already updated the runtime files once before, but the
                history of those commits do not exist since I did the above steps and
                then deleted the "vim" branch). ok, so i just copy the conflicting
                files from the "vim" branch. some of the conflicts are unavoidable
                since they stem from the fact that I have modified some runtime files
                in my master branch.

                6. after resolving all the above conflicts I commit:
                git-commit

                7. done...since I mucked up and deleted my "vim" branch last time i
                did this the commit on my new "vim" branch that updated all runtime
                files is as long as the last time I updated the runtime files (next
                time I update this won't happens since I'll keep the "vim" branch
                around for now). hopefully, all those conflicts in step 5 will go
                away as well the next time...otherwise I really have to come up with a
                better way of dealing with this.

                I think all the difficulties I had this time will go away the next
                time I update the "vim" branch...but if anybody have any comments on
                how this could be done smoother I am open for suggestions. Can't say
                I'm that comfortable using git yet (even though I'm already a lot more
                comfortable with git then I ever was with svn).

                Unless somebody has some brilliant idea on how I can update the
                runtime files without getting the massive commits I got using my way I
                will push my "master" to public. Otherwise, tell me what to do and
                I'll undo these commits (ok since they're still only local), do it
                "the right way" and then push.

                /Björn

              • Ben Schmidt
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2008
                  I only know of one thing that could help...the -a option to git commit, which
                  automatically commits all changed and deleted files.

                  I have been just doing thought experiments so far trying to figure out how to
                  really make this stuff work in practice! I agree it's a big mess and there has
                  just got to be a smoother way...

                  Ben.