Re: Latexsuite + MacVim: No View rule defined for target pdf

  • Ted Pavlic
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 3, 2008
      On a related note, you should *NOT* be installing TeXLive from fink or
      MacPorts. I *suppose* that you might be able to get LaTeX package
      updates easier that way, but overall I have a feeling it's a bad idea.

      Instead, use MacTeX from TUG or gwTeX.

      MacTeX: http://www.tug.org/mactex/

      gwTeX: http://ii2.sourceforge.net/tex-index.html

      You can install them both. You'll get a "System Preferences" pane that
      allows yourself to switch from one to the other as needed (it changes a
      symlink).

      --Ted

      --
      Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
        krisse wrote:
        > This is driving me bonkers a t m.
        >
        > If I open a tex-file with macvim, I get a error message stating that
        > "No View rule [is] defined for target pdf", and advises me to "specify
        > a rule in $VIMRUNTIME/ftplugin/tex/texrc".

        Where/how did you get latex-suite, Kristian? I downloaded the version from the
        sourceforge download site to try it out (haven't really got around to it yet), but
        can't even find that error message in the distribution!

        Still, googling, I found this page which might help

        http://www.mail-archive.com/vim-latex-devel@.../msg00006.html

        Looks like the solution is...use vim-latex from its svn, not its tarball, or "put
        something like let Tex_ViewRule_pdf = '/path/to/acrobat/reader $*.pdf' in your
        ~/vimfiles/ftplugin/tex.vim or .vimrc"

        Though to me this seems basically equivalent to what you did already, except that
        it contains something real. I guess I would probably do

        let Tex_ViewRule_pdf = '/usr/bin/open -a Preview $*.pdf'

        Where do you get your latex-suite, Ted?

        Also, Kristian, since this seems to be MacVim specific...which version of MacVim
        are you using? I agree this is quite strange.

        Ben.

        > Allrighty. I add the following to that very file ($HOME/.vim/
        > ftpl...):
        > let g:Tex_ViewRule_pdf = ''
        >
        > Nothing changes; same error. Hmh. Oh well; I add it to $HOME/.vimrc
        > --- but still no go! Frustrated, I try to add it to .gvimrc as well,
        > but no, no go; same error continue to pop up.
        >
        > I don't get it if I use (10.5) native vim.
        >
        > I have checked that .vim is in $VIMRUNTIME, and yes it is.
        >
        > Tried to google this, but no luck there either.
        >
        > Do you have any ideas? I really don't need this ViewRule. Everything
        > works fine, except for that annoying error-message.
        >
        > Any and every thought is appreciated. Thanks!
        >

        > /Kristian

      • Kristian Niemi
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008

          Thanks for chiming in!

          I downloaded latex-suite from their website [1] (it's version 20060325).
          MacVim from [2] (snapshot 24).

          I'll give the svn version of latex-suite a twirl!

          Just for the heck of it, I'll put that exact line in my .vimrc,
          although I already have a line there (and in the location the error
          message suggests) which should be equivalent. And, as has been
          previously stated, the variable _is_ set. It's like MacVim just
          doesn't like the answer. ;-) Maybe including a target ($*.pdf) in the
          command, that the var consists of, makes it happier. Who knows.

          Thanks for your help!

          /Kristian

          [1] http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=download&title=Download
          [2] http://code.google.com/p/macvim/downloads/list

          On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Ben Schmidt
          <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

          > krisse wrote:
          > > This is driving me bonkers a t m.
          > >
          > > If I open a tex-file with macvim, I get a error message stating that
          > > "No View rule [is] defined for target pdf", and advises me to "specify
          > > a rule in $VIMRUNTIME/ftplugin/tex/texrc".
          >
          > Where/how did you get latex-suite, Kristian? I downloaded the version from the
          > sourceforge download site to try it out (haven't really got around to it yet), but
          > can't even find that error message in the distribution!
          >
          > Still, googling, I found this page which might help
          >
          > http://www.mail-archive.com/vim-latex-devel@.../msg00006.html
          >
          > Looks like the solution is...use vim-latex from its svn, not its tarball, or "put
          > something like let Tex_ViewRule_pdf = '/path/to/acrobat/reader $*.pdf' in your
          > ~/vimfiles/ftplugin/tex.vim or .vimrc"
          >
          > Though to me this seems basically equivalent to what you did already, except that
          > it contains something real. I guess I would probably do
          >
          > let Tex_ViewRule_pdf = '/usr/bin/open -a Preview $*.pdf'
          >
          > Where do you get your latex-suite, Ted?
          >
          > Also, Kristian, since this seems to be MacVim specific...which version of MacVim
          > are you using? I agree this is quite strange.
          >
          > Ben.

        • Ben Schmidt
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
            Kristian Niemi wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > Thanks for chiming in!
            >
            > I downloaded latex-suite from their website [1] (it's version 20060325).
            > MacVim from [2] (snapshot 24).
            >
            > I'll give the svn version of latex-suite a twirl!
            >
            > Just for the heck of it, I'll put that exact line in my .vimrc,
            > although I already have a line there (and in the location the error
            > message suggests) which should be equivalent. And, as has been
            > previously stated, the variable _is_ set. It's like MacVim just
            > doesn't like the answer. ;-) Maybe including a target ($*.pdf) in the
            > command, that the var consists of, makes it happier. Who knows.
            >

            > Thanks for your help!
            >
            > /Kristian

            Odd. That's the version of latex-suite I downloaded too. Maybe I'm doing something
            wrong! This link seems to offer another more reliable solution...

            http://www.mail-archive.com/vim-latex-devel@.../msg00093.html

            Ben.

          • Ben Schmidt
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
              Ben Schmidt wrote:
              > Kristian Niemi wrote:
              >> Hi,
              >>
              >> Thanks for chiming in!
              >>
              >> I downloaded latex-suite from their website [1] (it's version 20060325).
              >> MacVim from [2] (snapshot 24).
              >>
              >> I'll give the svn version of latex-suite a twirl!
              >>
              >> Just for the heck of it, I'll put that exact line in my .vimrc,
              >> although I already have a line there (and in the location the error
              >> message suggests) which should be equivalent. And, as has been
              >> previously stated, the variable _is_ set. It's like MacVim just
              >> doesn't like the answer. ;-) Maybe including a target ($*.pdf) in the
              >> command, that the var consists of, makes it happier. Who knows.
              >>

              >> Thanks for your help!
              >>
              >> /Kristian
              >
              > Odd. That's the version of latex-suite I downloaded too. Maybe I'm doing something
              > wrong! This link seems to offer another more reliable solution...
              >
              > http://www.mail-archive.com/vim-latex-devel@.../msg00093.html

              Aha! I found the error message, too! Line 43 of compiler.vim. Looks like setting
              that variable to blank would *cause* the error!

              It seems the previous bugfix was slightly buggy, too! This may be more robust:

              let Tex_ViewRuleComplete_pdf = '/usr/bin/open -a Preview $*.pdf'

              or such. Interesting. It will be fun getting my hands on some Tex stuff at some
              stage. One day...

              Ben.

            • Kristian Niemi
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
                That looks promising!! Having high hopes it'll be fixed swiftly once I
                get to that comp and can give it a go.

                Thanks!

                /Kristian

                On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Ben Schmidt
                <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

                > Ben Schmidt wrote:
                > > Kristian Niemi wrote:
                > >> Hi,
                > >>
                > >> Thanks for chiming in!
                > >>
                > >> I downloaded latex-suite from their website [1] (it's version 20060325).
                > >> MacVim from [2] (snapshot 24).
                > >>
                > >> I'll give the svn version of latex-suite a twirl!
                > >>
                > >> Just for the heck of it, I'll put that exact line in my .vimrc,
                > >> although I already have a line there (and in the location the error
                > >> message suggests) which should be equivalent. And, as has been
                > >> previously stated, the variable _is_ set. It's like MacVim just
                > >> doesn't like the answer. ;-) Maybe including a target ($*.pdf) in the
                > >> command, that the var consists of, makes it happier. Who knows.
                > >>

                > >> Thanks for your help!
                > >>
                > >> /Kristian
                > >
                > > Odd. That's the version of latex-suite I downloaded too. Maybe I'm doing something
                > > wrong! This link seems to offer another more reliable solution...
                > >
                > > http://www.mail-archive.com/vim-latex-devel@.../msg00093.html
                >
                > Aha! I found the error message, too! Line 43 of compiler.vim. Looks like setting
                > that variable to blank would *cause* the error!
                >
                > It seems the previous bugfix was slightly buggy, too! This may be more robust:
                >
                > let Tex_ViewRuleComplete_pdf = '/usr/bin/open -a Preview $*.pdf'
                >
                > or such. Interesting. It will be fun getting my hands on some Tex stuff at some
                > stage. One day...
                >

                > Ben.

              • Ted Pavlic
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
                  A few things...

                  1.) Setting your ViewRule to something nonempty will fix the problem. I
                  set mine to be empty and got the error, and so keeping it nonempty fixes it.

                  2.) I had checked compiler.vim earlier, but I dismissed the empty string
                  solution because

                  2.a) It's perfectly fine to set it empty once Vim is started; that just
                  causes Vim to use the system default to open the file

                  2.b) I was *SURE* I used to leave mine blank exactly for that reason. In
                  fact, if you look at the ~/.vim/ftplugin/latex-suite/texrc that comes
                  with the suite, they're blank by default on OS/X

                  So, I think that this is one of the many compiler.vim bugs plaguing the
                  suite when it is run on OS/X. I've patched many of them (see a previous
                  message in this thread).

                  In defense of the suite, I think you should view the "error" as more of
                  a "warning." If you leave things blank, it should just execute an "open"
                  without any application.

                  --Ted

                  --
                  Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

                • Ted Pavlic
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
                    The line that *SHOULD* be there is (all one line):

                    if !(has('win32') || has('macunix')) &&
                    (!Tex_GetVarValue('Tex_UseMakefile') || (glob('makefile*') == '' &&
                    glob('Makefile*') == ''))

                    That will fix the problem. Both macunix and win32 have a way of opening
                    those files without needing a specified viewer.

                    --Ted

                    --
                    Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

                  • Ben Schmidt
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
                      Ted Pavlic wrote:
                      > The line that *SHOULD* be there is (all one line):
                      >
                      > if !(has('win32') || has('macunix')) &&
                      > (!Tex_GetVarValue('Tex_UseMakefile') || (glob('makefile*') == '' &&
                      > glob('Makefile*') == ''))
                      >
                      > That will fix the problem. Both macunix and win32 have a way of opening
                      > those files without needing a specified viewer.

                      1. Thanks for communicating that. Do you have a way to get this and your other
                      fixes included in vim-latex svn? Surely that would be worthwhile, particularly
                      considering the number of vim-latex questions we get on these lists!

                      2. I wonder why I don't get the error. I have no Makefile and my Tex_ViewRule_pdf
                      seems to be empty, and Tex_ViewRuleComplete_pdf seems to be undefined. The error
                      should simply have occured when opening a .tex file, yeah?

                      3. Do you have any comment on the patch to compiler.vim suggested here?:
                      http://www.mail-archive.com/vim-latex-devel@.../msg00093.html
                      It doesn't seem quite right to me, though it is a bit ambiguous. I guess the docs
                      should be consulted--it seems like you're somehow meant to set viewer to an app
                      name "Preview" rather than path to a binary, but the patch suggests changing it so
                      you give a binary name, but I'm not sure this would work so well as what was
                      originally there.

                      Ben.

                    • Kristian Niemi
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
                        Still not at my comp, so can't confirm it worked for me -- though I'm
                        sure it will! --, but just wanted to jolt down that I *did* have the
                        ViewRule set to something not-empty originally. I even tried with
                        different apps. Having it set to non-empty/empty did not matter for
                        me.

                        *However*, in none of my attempts did I have a target specified
                        ($*.pdf or some such) in the variable. Perhaps that would have made a
                        difference; I don't know. I'll get back to you, though you all seem to
                        have this figured down to its core now. :-)

                        By the way, I wrote on this list instead of some other list/forum --
                        like the vim-latex one, or some such --, since I only got this with
                        the VimMac, not with native vim. (Though I didn't try console VimMac.)

                        /Kristian

                        On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Ben Schmidt
                        <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

                        > Ted Pavlic wrote:
                        > > The line that *SHOULD* be there is (all one line):
                        > >
                        > > if !(has('win32') || has('macunix')) &&
                        > > (!Tex_GetVarValue('Tex_UseMakefile') || (glob('makefile*') == '' &&
                        > > glob('Makefile*') == ''))
                        > >
                        > > That will fix the problem. Both macunix and win32 have a way of opening
                        > > those files without needing a specified viewer.
                        >
                        > 1. Thanks for communicating that. Do you have a way to get this and your other
                        > fixes included in vim-latex svn? Surely that would be worthwhile, particularly
                        > considering the number of vim-latex questions we get on these lists!
                        >
                        > 2. I wonder why I don't get the error. I have no Makefile and my Tex_ViewRule_pdf
                        > seems to be empty, and Tex_ViewRuleComplete_pdf seems to be undefined. The error
                        > should simply have occured when opening a .tex file, yeah?
                        >
                        > 3. Do you have any comment on the patch to compiler.vim suggested here?:
                        >
                        > http://www.mail-archive.com/vim-latex-devel@.../msg00093.html
                        > It doesn't seem quite right to me, though it is a bit ambiguous. I guess the docs
                        > should be consulted--it seems like you're somehow meant to set viewer to an app
                        > name "Preview" rather than path to a binary, but the patch suggests changing it so
                        > you give a binary name, but I'm not sure this would work so well as what was
                        > originally there.
                        >
                        > Ben.

                      • Ted Pavlic
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
                          > 1. Thanks for communicating that. Do you have a way to get this and
                          > your other fixes included in vim-latex svn? Surely that would be
                          > worthwhile, particularly considering the number of vim-latex
                          > questions we get on these lists!

                          Eventually, I'd like to download the vanilla distribution and organize
                          some patches, and try to put everything on-line.

                          Is there a Vim-LaTeX SVN? I never thought of that. I downloaded it from
                          vim.org, I think, and it didn't hit me until now that the
                          Vim-latex-devel list is a SourceForge list, so it's probably all SVN
                          managed.

                          I've never checked anything into SF (I avoid anyone or anything even
                          distantly related to CVS). I'm sure the process is probably pretty
                          straight-forward. Someday...

                          > 2. I wonder why I don't get the error. I have no Makefile and my
                          > Tex_ViewRule_pdf seems to be empty, and Tex_ViewRuleComplete_pdf
                          > seems to be undefined. The error should simply have occured when
                          > opening a .tex file, yeah?

                          I think that function is only called when the target changes... Maybe. I
                          know that the "default" target for macosx is pdf, and I explicitly
                          change mine to 'dvi'. Maybe that has something to do with it.

                          I get the error if I simply do

                          vi blah.tex

                          That is, right on the load of the suite. Though I *think* if I changed
                          the ViewRule during runtime and then change my target, I don't get the
                          error... On the other hand, when I did that spot check, I may have
                          grabbed a TeX file I was working on, in which case there was probably a
                          Makefile in the directory.

                          So... it's possible that the error will also occur when you change the
                          target (through the menu).

                          > 3. Do you have any comment on the patch to compiler.vim suggested
                          > here?:
                          > http://www.mail-archive.com/vim-latex-devel@.../msg00093.html

                          It makes absolutely no sense.

                          With or without Tex_ViewRule_* defined, I have no trouble executing \lv.

                          Additionally, applying that patch completely screws you over if you want
                          to open your target with something that isn't your system's default.

                          > It doesn't seem quite right to me, though it is a bit ambiguous. I
                          > guess the docs should be consulted--it seems like you're somehow
                          > meant to set viewer to an app name "Preview" rather than path to a
                          > binary, but the patch suggests changing it so you give a binary name,
                          > but I'm not sure this would work so well as what was originally
                          > there.

                          open blah.pdf

                          works fine (opens in Skim for me), but so does:

                          open -a Preview blah.pdf

                          (which opens in Preview). Likewise, I can make ViewRule empty to get my
                          default action or set it to something to get my not-so-default action.

                          --Ted

                          --
                          Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

                        • Kristian Niemi
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 4, 2008
                            Aaaah! The sweet view Vim without an error in my face!

                            The following (in .vimrc) did *not* work:
                            let g:Tex_ViewRule_pdf = '/usr/bin/open -a Preview $*.pdf'
                            let Tex_ViewRule_pdf = '/usr/bin/open -a Preview $*.pdf'
                            let g:Tex_ViewRule_pdf = '/usr/bin/open -a Preview'
                            let g:Tex_ViewRule_pdf = ''

                            This *did* work:
                            let Tex_ViewRuleComplete_pdf = '/usr/bin/open -a Preview $*.pdf'

                            Thanks for all of your efforts and ideas!

                            <mail_ben_schmidt@...> wrote:

                            > Ben Schmidt wrote:
                            > > Kristian Niemi wrote:
                            > >> Hi,
                            > >>
                            > >> Thanks for chiming in!
                            > >>
                            > >> I downloaded latex-suite from their website [1] (it's version 20060325).
                            > >> MacVim from [2] (snapshot 24).
                            > >>
                            > >> I'll give the svn version of latex-suite a twirl!
                            > >>
                            > >> Just for the heck of it, I'll put that exact line in my .vimrc,
                            > >> although I already have a line there (and in the location the error
                            > >> message suggests) which should be equivalent. And, as has been
                            > >> previously stated, the variable _is_ set. It's like MacVim just
                            > >> doesn't like the answer. ;-) Maybe including a target ($*.pdf) in the
                            > >> command, that the var consists of, makes it happier. Who knows.
                            > >>

                            > >> Thanks for your help!
                            > >>
                            > >> /Kristian
                            > >
                            > > Odd. That's the version of latex-suite I downloaded too. Maybe I'm doing something
                            > > wrong! This link seems to offer another more reliable solution...
                            > >
                            > > http://www.mail-archive.com/vim-latex-devel@.../msg00093.html
                            >
                            > Aha! I found the error message, too! Line 43 of compiler.vim. Looks like setting
                            > that variable to blank would *cause* the error!
                            >
                            > It seems the previous bugfix was slightly buggy, too! This may be more robust:
                            >
                            > let Tex_ViewRuleComplete_pdf = '/usr/bin/open -a Preview $*.pdf'
                            >
                            > or such. Interesting. It will be fun getting my hands on some Tex stuff at some
                            > stage. One day...
                            >

                            > Ben.

                          • Alan
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 22, 2008
                              Thanks for your post, it helps a lot. By the way, I still cannot open
                              my pdf file until I found out it was corrupt. At last, I tried a
                              utility called Advanced PDF Repair to repair my PDF file. It works
                              rather well. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/apdfr/ Hope
                              this will help, too.

                              Alan