strange screen redraw problem

  • Jason Casden
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
      I'm not sure if this is a MacVim problem or a general vim issue, but I
      am having some strange display garbling when returning the output of a
      tidy command into the current buffer, with this command:

      :silent %!tidy -xml -qi

      I have the same problem without specifying :silent. Basically, the
      text that is displayed after running tidy is semi-garbled, but
      resizing the window (in any direction) seems to fix it. I've posted a
      video of my issue:

      http://screencast.com/t/gCcUNl1W5U

      Has anyone else encountered this?

      Thanks,
      Jason
    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2008
        Jason Casden wrote:
        > I'm not sure if this is a MacVim problem or a general vim issue, but I
        > am having some strange display garbling when returning the output of a
        > tidy command into the current buffer, with this command:
        >
        > :silent %!tidy -xml -qi
        >
        > I have the same problem without specifying :silent. Basically, the
        > text that is displayed after running tidy is semi-garbled, but
        > resizing the window (in any direction) seems to fix it. I've posted a
        > video of my issue:
        >
        > http://screencast.com/t/gCcUNl1W5U
        >
        > Has anyone else encountered this?

        I don't have this problem.

        It is bizarre!

        Does it happen if you start Vim with -u NONE -N e.g.

        /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -u NONE -N

        If not, can you narrow down in your .vimrc what is causing the problem?

        If so, I'm not sure what to try next...obviously something is really whacked
        somewhere...

        Ben.

      • Jason Casden
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2008
          Hi Ben,

          Thanks for replying. It looks like I found the fix (through trial and
          error), but still don't really understand why this would be a problem:

          set verbosefile=/tmp/vim.verbose
          set verbose=100

          These lines were in my .vimrc from when I was trying to track down a
          different problem. Taking them out fixed the temporary text garbling
          issue (so far, at least).

          Jason