Re: TextMate-like project drawer for MacVim?

  • wishi
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
      I don't think that there's a great need to bloat the default tree of
      vim. Textmate just sucks, not having anything like code-completion or
      intelligent behavior, while editing. :-)
      Next to this point a project drawer is integrated in vim-JDE, which
      wasn't mentioned jet.

      I use the NERDtree, because it's intelligent. Works wonderful with tabs:
      just open a new file pressing t and read or edit.

      The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way to
      compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
      previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then emacs
      :-). So... we rock.

      Greeting,
      wishi

      Matt Tolton schrieb:
      >> Once I got used to it, I found vim's buffer handling much more useful
      >> than drawers like these. Of course, they're texty, but they keep my
      >> hands on the keyboard and let me switch from file to file pretty easily
      >> (e.g., by number or by name match).
      > The drawer doesn't replace vim's buffer handling, IMO. Buffer
      > handling is for switching among files you already have open. The
      > drawer helps you access/view all of the files in and the hierarchy of
      > your project and easily open them.
      >
      >> I don't use TextMate much, and so I don't know all of its nice features,
      >> but I *bet* that there are more "pure" Vimmy ways to do those things
      >> that, once you get over the initial hand cramps, will end up working
      >> much better.
      > TextMate will do fuzzy matching on files names in your project. There
      > is a vim plugin out that will do this, but in the end it is just way
      > too slow on large amounts of files. It's vimscript's slowness that is
      > the problem, and the fact that you can't actually do something "in the
      > background" using vimscript.
      >
      > Anyway, to each their own. Just thought I'd point out that IMHO the
      > purpose of TextMate's drawer is orthogonal to that of vim's buffer
      > handling.
      >
      > Matt

    • Ted Pavlic
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
        > The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way to
        > compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
        > previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then emacs
        > :-). So... we rock.

        But... that is provided, via the Vim-LaTeX package. I do it daily.

        Here's more information:

        http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/search/label/MacVim

        Specifically, check out the section on "Inverse Searches" and "Forward
        Searches"...

        http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/12/pdfsync-inverse-searches-in-macvim.html

        http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/07/vim-latex-modification-forward.html

        The latter post applies most directly with your request.

        --Ted

        --
        Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

      • Ted Pavlic
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
          Ted Pavlic wrote:
          >> The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way
          >> to compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
          >> previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then
          >> emacs :-). So... we rock.
          > The latter post applies most directly with your request.

          Oh, and if I didn't make it clear, compiling via '\ll' automatically
          figures out how many times to run LaTeX and when to run bibtex/makeindex.

          I've modified my own compiler.vim to run makeindex on glossaries/symbol
          lists/etc. automatically as well.

          If a Makefile is in your project directory, '\ll' will override its
          normal rules and will run issue "make (target)" instead (where
          "(target)" is "dvi", "pdf", or "ps"). If a Makefile is NOT in the
          directory but multiple TeX files are, if one of those TeX files exists
          alongside a file with the same name but ending in ".latexmain" instead
          of ".tex," that TeX file will be used to build the project.

          --Ted

          --
          Ted Pavlic <ted@...>