Re: MacVim plugin patch

  • brettc
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 2 3:54 AM

      > I am interested in working on developing a proper plugin protocol, but
      > I thought I should get some opinions on what the protocol should look
      > like before going and doing a bunch of work that nobody likes.  :)
      > So...anyone have any ideas here?

      I'm new to Mac and Cocoa, so I'm not sure how possible this is, but I
      wonder whether anyone has considered the following for plugins: Python
      and Ruby are both Vim *AND* Cocoa compatible. I don't know ruby well,
      but the python support for cocoa is awesome. Is it possible (perhaps
      with some extra cocoa code) to make the plugin architecture work in
      one of these languages? The upside being that a simple python or ruby
      script would be sufficient to write a plugin. I suspect this would
      result in a lot more plugins.

      Cheers
      Brett
    • Stefan Eletzhofer
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 3 2:41 AM

        Am 02.04.2008 um 19:58 schrieb "Matt Tolton" <matt@...>:

        >> Once I'm home again I'll sit down and think and code that -- if
        >> there's a git repo I can clone from. And some example plugin, perhaps
        >> one which just does an alert box (hint hint).
        >
        > I'll put this up in a git repo at some point. As of now I am just
        > working in a local branch. If you want I can send out a patch that
        > you can apply against the main repo.

        Ok, fine with me.

        > As for a plugin which shows an alert box...I don't think we need to
        > provide this functionality (showing alert boxes) as you can just
        > directly use an NSAlert can't you?

        Sure. I meant that we should provide some sort of very basic example
        plugin, which cocoa-dumb people like me can use as template :)

        Stefan