Re: TextMate-like project drawer for MacVim?

  • Matt Tolton
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
      > Once I got used to it, I found vim's buffer handling much more useful
      > than drawers like these. Of course, they're texty, but they keep my
      > hands on the keyboard and let me switch from file to file pretty easily
      > (e.g., by number or by name match).
      The drawer doesn't replace vim's buffer handling, IMO. Buffer
      handling is for switching among files you already have open. The
      drawer helps you access/view all of the files in and the hierarchy of
      your project and easily open them.

      > I don't use TextMate much, and so I don't know all of its nice features,
      > but I *bet* that there are more "pure" Vimmy ways to do those things
      > that, once you get over the initial hand cramps, will end up working
      > much better.
      TextMate will do fuzzy matching on files names in your project. There
      is a vim plugin out that will do this, but in the end it is just way
      too slow on large amounts of files. It's vimscript's slowness that is
      the problem, and the fact that you can't actually do something "in the
      background" using vimscript.

      Anyway, to each their own. Just thought I'd point out that IMHO the
      purpose of TextMate's drawer is orthogonal to that of vim's buffer
      handling.

      Matt

    • wishi
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
        I don't think that there's a great need to bloat the default tree of
        vim. Textmate just sucks, not having anything like code-completion or
        intelligent behavior, while editing. :-)
        Next to this point a project drawer is integrated in vim-JDE, which
        wasn't mentioned jet.

        I use the NERDtree, because it's intelligent. Works wonderful with tabs:
        just open a new file pressing t and read or edit.

        The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way to
        compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
        previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then emacs
        :-). So... we rock.

        Greeting,
        wishi

        Matt Tolton schrieb:
        >> Once I got used to it, I found vim's buffer handling much more useful
        >> than drawers like these. Of course, they're texty, but they keep my
        >> hands on the keyboard and let me switch from file to file pretty easily
        >> (e.g., by number or by name match).
        > The drawer doesn't replace vim's buffer handling, IMO. Buffer
        > handling is for switching among files you already have open. The
        > drawer helps you access/view all of the files in and the hierarchy of
        > your project and easily open them.
        >
        >> I don't use TextMate much, and so I don't know all of its nice features,
        >> but I *bet* that there are more "pure" Vimmy ways to do those things
        >> that, once you get over the initial hand cramps, will end up working
        >> much better.
        > TextMate will do fuzzy matching on files names in your project. There
        > is a vim plugin out that will do this, but in the end it is just way
        > too slow on large amounts of files. It's vimscript's slowness that is
        > the problem, and the fact that you can't actually do something "in the
        > background" using vimscript.
        >
        > Anyway, to each their own. Just thought I'd point out that IMHO the
        > purpose of TextMate's drawer is orthogonal to that of vim's buffer
        > handling.
        >
        > Matt

      • Ted Pavlic
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
          > The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way to
          > compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
          > previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then emacs
          > :-). So... we rock.

          But... that is provided, via the Vim-LaTeX package. I do it daily.

          Here's more information:

          http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/search/label/MacVim

          Specifically, check out the section on "Inverse Searches" and "Forward
          Searches"...

          http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/12/pdfsync-inverse-searches-in-macvim.html

          http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/07/vim-latex-modification-forward.html

          The latter post applies most directly with your request.

          --Ted

          --
          Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

        • Ted Pavlic
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
            Ted Pavlic wrote:
            >> The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way
            >> to compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
            >> previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then
            >> emacs :-). So... we rock.
            > The latter post applies most directly with your request.

            Oh, and if I didn't make it clear, compiling via '\ll' automatically
            figures out how many times to run LaTeX and when to run bibtex/makeindex.

            I've modified my own compiler.vim to run makeindex on glossaries/symbol
            lists/etc. automatically as well.

            If a Makefile is in your project directory, '\ll' will override its
            normal rules and will run issue "make (target)" instead (where
            "(target)" is "dvi", "pdf", or "ps"). If a Makefile is NOT in the
            directory but multiple TeX files are, if one of those TeX files exists
            alongside a file with the same name but ending in ".latexmain" instead
            of ".tex," that TeX file will be used to build the project.

            --Ted

            --
            Ted Pavlic <ted@...>