Re: TextMate-like project drawer for MacVim?

  • Matt Tolton
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
      > I'd like to have a TextMate style project drawer for MacVim.
      > To prevent myself from reinventing the wheel I just wanted
      > to ask if anybody implemented something like this before for
      > MacVim? Otherwise I'd do it myself.

      Hi,

      This is one of the plugins that I'd like to see available for MacVim,
      as the TextMate one is very useful. I will probably be developing
      something similar to it in tandem with writing the plugin interface.
      This will help me test the interface. I'd like to add things like tag
      browsing and fuzzy searching of files and tags to that plugin as well,
      eventually.

      Matt

    • Stefan Eletzhofer
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
        I'd very much like that, too. I've begun to start to wrap my head
        around the tree controller of cocoa using python.

        I'm a heavy user of vim, and use the projects plugin for all my work
        (see mkvimproject on pypi). But I find it lacking compared to the very
        simple textmate drawer which is very fast, too. The usability is good,
        too: 'mate .' and off you go.

        Note that IMO the project plugin and the drawer feature could be
        different use cases -- they could complement each other.

        Very nice would be a drawer with a tree control in it where each item
        (leaf or not) could fire vim commands on each cocoa event (enter leave
        click ...). The tree them (the item names an their contents) could be
        filled with a script output or read using a file or representing the
        file system hierarchy.

        I'd be glad to help out -- I have very little objective c knowledge
        but I'm a quite good c and python programmer.

        (sorry for top posting but I type this on a PDA which has limited caps).

        Stefan

        --
        Stefan Eletzhofer
        www.eletztrick.de

        Am 01.04.2008 um 17:18 schrieb Axel Schlueter <axel@...>:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'd like to have a TextMate style project drawer for MacVim.
        > To prevent myself from reinventing the wheel I just wanted
        > to ask if anybody implemented something like this before for
        > MacVim? Otherwise I'd do it myself.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Axel
        > --
        > The universe tends toward maximum irony. Don't push it. (jwz)

      • Ted Pavlic
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
          > I'd like to have a TextMate style project drawer for MacVim.
          > To prevent myself from reinventing the wheel I just wanted
          > to ask if anybody implemented something like this before for
          > MacVim? Otherwise I'd do it myself.

          Once I got used to it, I found vim's buffer handling much more useful
          than drawers like these. Of course, they're texty, but they keep my
          hands on the keyboard and let me switch from file to file pretty easily
          (e.g., by number or by name match).

          I don't use TextMate much, and so I don't know all of its nice features,
          but I *bet* that there are more "pure" Vimmy ways to do those things
          that, once you get over the initial hand cramps, will end up working
          much better.

          Just a thought... I know it's not as sexy as a drawer --
          Ted

          --
          Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

        • Matt Tolton
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
            > Once I got used to it, I found vim's buffer handling much more useful
            > than drawers like these. Of course, they're texty, but they keep my
            > hands on the keyboard and let me switch from file to file pretty easily
            > (e.g., by number or by name match).
            The drawer doesn't replace vim's buffer handling, IMO. Buffer
            handling is for switching among files you already have open. The
            drawer helps you access/view all of the files in and the hierarchy of
            your project and easily open them.

            > I don't use TextMate much, and so I don't know all of its nice features,
            > but I *bet* that there are more "pure" Vimmy ways to do those things
            > that, once you get over the initial hand cramps, will end up working
            > much better.
            TextMate will do fuzzy matching on files names in your project. There
            is a vim plugin out that will do this, but in the end it is just way
            too slow on large amounts of files. It's vimscript's slowness that is
            the problem, and the fact that you can't actually do something "in the
            background" using vimscript.

            Anyway, to each their own. Just thought I'd point out that IMHO the
            purpose of TextMate's drawer is orthogonal to that of vim's buffer
            handling.

            Matt

          • wishi
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
              I don't think that there's a great need to bloat the default tree of
              vim. Textmate just sucks, not having anything like code-completion or
              intelligent behavior, while editing. :-)
              Next to this point a project drawer is integrated in vim-JDE, which
              wasn't mentioned jet.

              I use the NERDtree, because it's intelligent. Works wonderful with tabs:
              just open a new file pressing t and read or edit.

              The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way to
              compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
              previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then emacs
              :-). So... we rock.

              Greeting,
              wishi

              Matt Tolton schrieb:
              >> Once I got used to it, I found vim's buffer handling much more useful
              >> than drawers like these. Of course, they're texty, but they keep my
              >> hands on the keyboard and let me switch from file to file pretty easily
              >> (e.g., by number or by name match).
              > The drawer doesn't replace vim's buffer handling, IMO. Buffer
              > handling is for switching among files you already have open. The
              > drawer helps you access/view all of the files in and the hierarchy of
              > your project and easily open them.
              >
              >> I don't use TextMate much, and so I don't know all of its nice features,
              >> but I *bet* that there are more "pure" Vimmy ways to do those things
              >> that, once you get over the initial hand cramps, will end up working
              >> much better.
              > TextMate will do fuzzy matching on files names in your project. There
              > is a vim plugin out that will do this, but in the end it is just way
              > too slow on large amounts of files. It's vimscript's slowness that is
              > the problem, and the fact that you can't actually do something "in the
              > background" using vimscript.
              >
              > Anyway, to each their own. Just thought I'd point out that IMHO the
              > purpose of TextMate's drawer is orthogonal to that of vim's buffer
              > handling.
              >
              > Matt

            • Ted Pavlic
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
                > The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way to
                > compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
                > previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then emacs
                > :-). So... we rock.

                But... that is provided, via the Vim-LaTeX package. I do it daily.

                Here's more information:

                http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/search/label/MacVim

                Specifically, check out the section on "Inverse Searches" and "Forward
                Searches"...

                http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/12/pdfsync-inverse-searches-in-macvim.html

                http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/07/vim-latex-modification-forward.html

                The latter post applies most directly with your request.

                --Ted

                --
                Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

              • Ted Pavlic
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Ted Pavlic wrote:
                  >> The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way
                  >> to compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
                  >> previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then
                  >> emacs :-). So... we rock.
                  > The latter post applies most directly with your request.

                  Oh, and if I didn't make it clear, compiling via '\ll' automatically
                  figures out how many times to run LaTeX and when to run bibtex/makeindex.

                  I've modified my own compiler.vim to run makeindex on glossaries/symbol
                  lists/etc. automatically as well.

                  If a Makefile is in your project directory, '\ll' will override its
                  normal rules and will run issue "make (target)" instead (where
                  "(target)" is "dvi", "pdf", or "ps"). If a Makefile is NOT in the
                  directory but multiple TeX files are, if one of those TeX files exists
                  alongside a file with the same name but ending in ".latexmain" instead
                  of ".tex," that TeX file will be used to build the project.

                  --Ted

                  --
                  Ted Pavlic <ted@...>