Re: TextMate-like project drawer for MacVim?

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi Axel,

      > I'd like to have a TextMate style project drawer for MacVim.
      > To prevent myself from reinventing the wheel I just wanted
      > to ask if anybody implemented something like this before for
      > MacVim? Otherwise I'd do it myself.

      there are a few vim plugins that do something similar. For example,
      there's the project plugin ( http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=69
      ) or the NERDTree plugin ( http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1658
      ). The latter only displays a directory tree, but for me that's good
      enough for most projects if used together with bufexplorer ( http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=42
      ).

      All this plugins are text plugins. This means that they look very
      plain, but it also means that they work on nearly every platform that
      you can imagine.

      Matt Tolton is currently trying to write a plugin api for MacVim
      that'd allow gui plugins, but he has just started. I suppose doing
      this yourself will be very difficult without the plugin mechanism.

      HTH,
      Nico

    • Axel Schlueter
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008

        On 01.04.2008, at 17:26, Nico Weber wrote:
        > there are a few vim plugins that do something similar. For example,

        I tried and used some of them and they are fine when
        working remotely on another machine, but they kinda
        lack some style when working on a beautiful shiny local
        mac :)

        > that'd allow gui plugins, but he has just started. I suppose doing
        > this yourself will be very difficult without the plugin mechanism.

        Why do you think it would be difficult, given the fact that
        I'm not reaching for multiplatform compatibility? After all
        we're talking "MAC"Vim here...

        While I'm definitly new to (Mac)Vim programming I've done a
        fair amount of cocoa development so it shouldn't be too
        hard to implement. Or am I missing something critical here?

        Regards,
        Axel
        --
        The universe tends toward maximum irony. Don't push it. (jwz)
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
          On 01/04/2008, Axel Schlueter <axel@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >

          > On 01.04.2008, at 17:26, Nico Weber wrote:
          > > there are a few vim plugins that do something similar. For example,
          >

          > I tried and used some of them and they are fine when
          > working remotely on another machine, but they kinda
          > lack some style when working on a beautiful shiny local
          > mac :)
          >

          > > that'd allow gui plugins, but he has just started. I suppose doing
          > > this yourself will be very difficult without the plugin mechanism.
          >

          > Why do you think it would be difficult, given the fact that
          > I'm not reaching for multiplatform compatibility? After all
          > we're talking "MAC"Vim here...
          >
          > While I'm definitly new to (Mac)Vim programming I've done a
          > fair amount of cocoa development so it shouldn't be too
          > hard to implement. Or am I missing something critical here?

          As always, it is very nice to see more developers wanting to work on
          extending MacVim, but please hear me out before you start working
          away:

          The point of a plug-in architecture is that we can add things like a
          project drawer without bloating the MacVim code with stuff that is not
          essential (MacVim should first and foremost be a GUI for Vim and as
          such should work the same way Vim GUIs do on other platforms). So
          while it may be easy enough to add such a drawer, I personally would
          not merge that with the master branch of the MacVim source code.
          Therefore, I ask you to hold off your plans and see how Matt's work
          comes along.

          /Björn

        • Matt Tolton
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
            > I'd like to have a TextMate style project drawer for MacVim.
            > To prevent myself from reinventing the wheel I just wanted
            > to ask if anybody implemented something like this before for
            > MacVim? Otherwise I'd do it myself.

            Hi,

            This is one of the plugins that I'd like to see available for MacVim,
            as the TextMate one is very useful. I will probably be developing
            something similar to it in tandem with writing the plugin interface.
            This will help me test the interface. I'd like to add things like tag
            browsing and fuzzy searching of files and tags to that plugin as well,
            eventually.

            Matt

          • Stefan Eletzhofer
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
              I'd very much like that, too. I've begun to start to wrap my head
              around the tree controller of cocoa using python.

              I'm a heavy user of vim, and use the projects plugin for all my work
              (see mkvimproject on pypi). But I find it lacking compared to the very
              simple textmate drawer which is very fast, too. The usability is good,
              too: 'mate .' and off you go.

              Note that IMO the project plugin and the drawer feature could be
              different use cases -- they could complement each other.

              Very nice would be a drawer with a tree control in it where each item
              (leaf or not) could fire vim commands on each cocoa event (enter leave
              click ...). The tree them (the item names an their contents) could be
              filled with a script output or read using a file or representing the
              file system hierarchy.

              I'd be glad to help out -- I have very little objective c knowledge
              but I'm a quite good c and python programmer.

              (sorry for top posting but I type this on a PDA which has limited caps).

              Stefan

              --
              Stefan Eletzhofer
              www.eletztrick.de

              Am 01.04.2008 um 17:18 schrieb Axel Schlueter <axel@...>:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I'd like to have a TextMate style project drawer for MacVim.
              > To prevent myself from reinventing the wheel I just wanted
              > to ask if anybody implemented something like this before for
              > MacVim? Otherwise I'd do it myself.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Axel
              > --
              > The universe tends toward maximum irony. Don't push it. (jwz)

            • Ted Pavlic
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                > I'd like to have a TextMate style project drawer for MacVim.
                > To prevent myself from reinventing the wheel I just wanted
                > to ask if anybody implemented something like this before for
                > MacVim? Otherwise I'd do it myself.

                Once I got used to it, I found vim's buffer handling much more useful
                than drawers like these. Of course, they're texty, but they keep my
                hands on the keyboard and let me switch from file to file pretty easily
                (e.g., by number or by name match).

                I don't use TextMate much, and so I don't know all of its nice features,
                but I *bet* that there are more "pure" Vimmy ways to do those things
                that, once you get over the initial hand cramps, will end up working
                much better.

                Just a thought... I know it's not as sexy as a drawer --
                Ted

                --
                Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

              • Matt Tolton
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                  > Once I got used to it, I found vim's buffer handling much more useful
                  > than drawers like these. Of course, they're texty, but they keep my
                  > hands on the keyboard and let me switch from file to file pretty easily
                  > (e.g., by number or by name match).
                  The drawer doesn't replace vim's buffer handling, IMO. Buffer
                  handling is for switching among files you already have open. The
                  drawer helps you access/view all of the files in and the hierarchy of
                  your project and easily open them.

                  > I don't use TextMate much, and so I don't know all of its nice features,
                  > but I *bet* that there are more "pure" Vimmy ways to do those things
                  > that, once you get over the initial hand cramps, will end up working
                  > much better.
                  TextMate will do fuzzy matching on files names in your project. There
                  is a vim plugin out that will do this, but in the end it is just way
                  too slow on large amounts of files. It's vimscript's slowness that is
                  the problem, and the fact that you can't actually do something "in the
                  background" using vimscript.

                  Anyway, to each their own. Just thought I'd point out that IMHO the
                  purpose of TextMate's drawer is orthogonal to that of vim's buffer
                  handling.

                  Matt

                • wishi
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
                    I don't think that there's a great need to bloat the default tree of
                    vim. Textmate just sucks, not having anything like code-completion or
                    intelligent behavior, while editing. :-)
                    Next to this point a project drawer is integrated in vim-JDE, which
                    wasn't mentioned jet.

                    I use the NERDtree, because it's intelligent. Works wonderful with tabs:
                    just open a new file pressing t and read or edit.

                    The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way to
                    compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
                    previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then emacs
                    :-). So... we rock.

                    Greeting,
                    wishi

                    Matt Tolton schrieb:
                    >> Once I got used to it, I found vim's buffer handling much more useful
                    >> than drawers like these. Of course, they're texty, but they keep my
                    >> hands on the keyboard and let me switch from file to file pretty easily
                    >> (e.g., by number or by name match).
                    > The drawer doesn't replace vim's buffer handling, IMO. Buffer
                    > handling is for switching among files you already have open. The
                    > drawer helps you access/view all of the files in and the hierarchy of
                    > your project and easily open them.
                    >
                    >> I don't use TextMate much, and so I don't know all of its nice features,
                    >> but I *bet* that there are more "pure" Vimmy ways to do those things
                    >> that, once you get over the initial hand cramps, will end up working
                    >> much better.
                    > TextMate will do fuzzy matching on files names in your project. There
                    > is a vim plugin out that will do this, but in the end it is just way
                    > too slow on large amounts of files. It's vimscript's slowness that is
                    > the problem, and the fact that you can't actually do something "in the
                    > background" using vimscript.
                    >
                    > Anyway, to each their own. Just thought I'd point out that IMHO the
                    > purpose of TextMate's drawer is orthogonal to that of vim's buffer
                    > handling.
                    >
                    > Matt

                  • Ted Pavlic
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
                      > The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way to
                      > compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
                      > previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then emacs
                      > :-). So... we rock.

                      But... that is provided, via the Vim-LaTeX package. I do it daily.

                      Here's more information:

                      http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/search/label/MacVim

                      Specifically, check out the section on "Inverse Searches" and "Forward
                      Searches"...

                      http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/12/pdfsync-inverse-searches-in-macvim.html

                      http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/07/vim-latex-modification-forward.html

                      The latter post applies most directly with your request.

                      --Ted

                      --
                      Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

                    • Ted Pavlic
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
                        Ted Pavlic wrote:
                        >> The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way
                        >> to compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
                        >> previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then
                        >> emacs :-). So... we rock.
                        > The latter post applies most directly with your request.

                        Oh, and if I didn't make it clear, compiling via '\ll' automatically
                        figures out how many times to run LaTeX and when to run bibtex/makeindex.

                        I've modified my own compiler.vim to run makeindex on glossaries/symbol
                        lists/etc. automatically as well.

                        If a Makefile is in your project directory, '\ll' will override its
                        normal rules and will run issue "make (target)" instead (where
                        "(target)" is "dvi", "pdf", or "ps"). If a Makefile is NOT in the
                        directory but multiple TeX files are, if one of those TeX files exists
                        alongside a file with the same name but ending in ".latexmain" instead
                        of ".tex," that TeX file will be used to build the project.

                        --Ted

                        --
                        Ted Pavlic <ted@...>