TextMate-like project drawer for MacVim?

  • Axel Schlueter
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008

      I'd like to have a TextMate style project drawer for MacVim.
      To prevent myself from reinventing the wheel I just wanted
      to ask if anybody implemented something like this before for
      MacVim? Otherwise I'd do it myself.

      Regards,
      Axel
      --
      The universe tends toward maximum irony. Don't push it. (jwz)
    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
        Hi Axel,

        > I'd like to have a TextMate style project drawer for MacVim.
        > To prevent myself from reinventing the wheel I just wanted
        > to ask if anybody implemented something like this before for
        > MacVim? Otherwise I'd do it myself.

        there are a few vim plugins that do something similar. For example,
        there's the project plugin ( http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=69
        ) or the NERDTree plugin ( http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1658
        ). The latter only displays a directory tree, but for me that's good
        enough for most projects if used together with bufexplorer ( http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=42
        ).

        All this plugins are text plugins. This means that they look very
        plain, but it also means that they work on nearly every platform that
        you can imagine.

        Matt Tolton is currently trying to write a plugin api for MacVim
        that'd allow gui plugins, but he has just started. I suppose doing
        this yourself will be very difficult without the plugin mechanism.

        HTH,
        Nico

      • Axel Schlueter
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008

          On 01.04.2008, at 17:26, Nico Weber wrote:
          > there are a few vim plugins that do something similar. For example,

          I tried and used some of them and they are fine when
          working remotely on another machine, but they kinda
          lack some style when working on a beautiful shiny local
          mac :)

          > that'd allow gui plugins, but he has just started. I suppose doing
          > this yourself will be very difficult without the plugin mechanism.

          Why do you think it would be difficult, given the fact that
          I'm not reaching for multiplatform compatibility? After all
          we're talking "MAC"Vim here...

          While I'm definitly new to (Mac)Vim programming I've done a
          fair amount of cocoa development so it shouldn't be too
          hard to implement. Or am I missing something critical here?

          Regards,
          Axel
          --
          The universe tends toward maximum irony. Don't push it. (jwz)
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
            On 01/04/2008, Axel Schlueter <axel@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >

            > On 01.04.2008, at 17:26, Nico Weber wrote:
            > > there are a few vim plugins that do something similar. For example,
            >

            > I tried and used some of them and they are fine when
            > working remotely on another machine, but they kinda
            > lack some style when working on a beautiful shiny local
            > mac :)
            >

            > > that'd allow gui plugins, but he has just started. I suppose doing
            > > this yourself will be very difficult without the plugin mechanism.
            >

            > Why do you think it would be difficult, given the fact that
            > I'm not reaching for multiplatform compatibility? After all
            > we're talking "MAC"Vim here...
            >
            > While I'm definitly new to (Mac)Vim programming I've done a
            > fair amount of cocoa development so it shouldn't be too
            > hard to implement. Or am I missing something critical here?

            As always, it is very nice to see more developers wanting to work on
            extending MacVim, but please hear me out before you start working
            away:

            The point of a plug-in architecture is that we can add things like a
            project drawer without bloating the MacVim code with stuff that is not
            essential (MacVim should first and foremost be a GUI for Vim and as
            such should work the same way Vim GUIs do on other platforms). So
            while it may be easy enough to add such a drawer, I personally would
            not merge that with the master branch of the MacVim source code.
            Therefore, I ask you to hold off your plans and see how Matt's work
            comes along.

            /Björn

          • Matt Tolton
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
              > I'd like to have a TextMate style project drawer for MacVim.
              > To prevent myself from reinventing the wheel I just wanted
              > to ask if anybody implemented something like this before for
              > MacVim? Otherwise I'd do it myself.

              Hi,

              This is one of the plugins that I'd like to see available for MacVim,
              as the TextMate one is very useful. I will probably be developing
              something similar to it in tandem with writing the plugin interface.
              This will help me test the interface. I'd like to add things like tag
              browsing and fuzzy searching of files and tags to that plugin as well,
              eventually.

              Matt

            • Stefan Eletzhofer
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                I'd very much like that, too. I've begun to start to wrap my head
                around the tree controller of cocoa using python.

                I'm a heavy user of vim, and use the projects plugin for all my work
                (see mkvimproject on pypi). But I find it lacking compared to the very
                simple textmate drawer which is very fast, too. The usability is good,
                too: 'mate .' and off you go.

                Note that IMO the project plugin and the drawer feature could be
                different use cases -- they could complement each other.

                Very nice would be a drawer with a tree control in it where each item
                (leaf or not) could fire vim commands on each cocoa event (enter leave
                click ...). The tree them (the item names an their contents) could be
                filled with a script output or read using a file or representing the
                file system hierarchy.

                I'd be glad to help out -- I have very little objective c knowledge
                but I'm a quite good c and python programmer.

                (sorry for top posting but I type this on a PDA which has limited caps).

                Stefan

                --
                Stefan Eletzhofer
                www.eletztrick.de

                Am 01.04.2008 um 17:18 schrieb Axel Schlueter <axel@...>:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I'd like to have a TextMate style project drawer for MacVim.
                > To prevent myself from reinventing the wheel I just wanted
                > to ask if anybody implemented something like this before for
                > MacVim? Otherwise I'd do it myself.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Axel
                > --
                > The universe tends toward maximum irony. Don't push it. (jwz)

              • Ted Pavlic
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                  > I'd like to have a TextMate style project drawer for MacVim.
                  > To prevent myself from reinventing the wheel I just wanted
                  > to ask if anybody implemented something like this before for
                  > MacVim? Otherwise I'd do it myself.

                  Once I got used to it, I found vim's buffer handling much more useful
                  than drawers like these. Of course, they're texty, but they keep my
                  hands on the keyboard and let me switch from file to file pretty easily
                  (e.g., by number or by name match).

                  I don't use TextMate much, and so I don't know all of its nice features,
                  but I *bet* that there are more "pure" Vimmy ways to do those things
                  that, once you get over the initial hand cramps, will end up working
                  much better.

                  Just a thought... I know it's not as sexy as a drawer --
                  Ted

                  --
                  Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

                • Matt Tolton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                    > Once I got used to it, I found vim's buffer handling much more useful
                    > than drawers like these. Of course, they're texty, but they keep my
                    > hands on the keyboard and let me switch from file to file pretty easily
                    > (e.g., by number or by name match).
                    The drawer doesn't replace vim's buffer handling, IMO. Buffer
                    handling is for switching among files you already have open. The
                    drawer helps you access/view all of the files in and the hierarchy of
                    your project and easily open them.

                    > I don't use TextMate much, and so I don't know all of its nice features,
                    > but I *bet* that there are more "pure" Vimmy ways to do those things
                    > that, once you get over the initial hand cramps, will end up working
                    > much better.
                    TextMate will do fuzzy matching on files names in your project. There
                    is a vim plugin out that will do this, but in the end it is just way
                    too slow on large amounts of files. It's vimscript's slowness that is
                    the problem, and the fact that you can't actually do something "in the
                    background" using vimscript.

                    Anyway, to each their own. Just thought I'd point out that IMHO the
                    purpose of TextMate's drawer is orthogonal to that of vim's buffer
                    handling.

                    Matt

                  • wishi
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
                      I don't think that there's a great need to bloat the default tree of
                      vim. Textmate just sucks, not having anything like code-completion or
                      intelligent behavior, while editing. :-)
                      Next to this point a project drawer is integrated in vim-JDE, which
                      wasn't mentioned jet.

                      I use the NERDtree, because it's intelligent. Works wonderful with tabs:
                      just open a new file pressing t and read or edit.

                      The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way to
                      compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
                      previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then emacs
                      :-). So... we rock.

                      Greeting,
                      wishi

                      Matt Tolton schrieb:
                      >> Once I got used to it, I found vim's buffer handling much more useful
                      >> than drawers like these. Of course, they're texty, but they keep my
                      >> hands on the keyboard and let me switch from file to file pretty easily
                      >> (e.g., by number or by name match).
                      > The drawer doesn't replace vim's buffer handling, IMO. Buffer
                      > handling is for switching among files you already have open. The
                      > drawer helps you access/view all of the files in and the hierarchy of
                      > your project and easily open them.
                      >
                      >> I don't use TextMate much, and so I don't know all of its nice features,
                      >> but I *bet* that there are more "pure" Vimmy ways to do those things
                      >> that, once you get over the initial hand cramps, will end up working
                      >> much better.
                      > TextMate will do fuzzy matching on files names in your project. There
                      > is a vim plugin out that will do this, but in the end it is just way
                      > too slow on large amounts of files. It's vimscript's slowness that is
                      > the problem, and the fact that you can't actually do something "in the
                      > background" using vimscript.
                      >
                      > Anyway, to each their own. Just thought I'd point out that IMHO the
                      > purpose of TextMate's drawer is orthogonal to that of vim's buffer
                      > handling.
                      >
                      > Matt

                    • Ted Pavlic
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
                        > The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way to
                        > compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
                        > previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then emacs
                        > :-). So... we rock.

                        But... that is provided, via the Vim-LaTeX package. I do it daily.

                        Here's more information:

                        http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/search/label/MacVim

                        Specifically, check out the section on "Inverse Searches" and "Forward
                        Searches"...

                        http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/12/pdfsync-inverse-searches-in-macvim.html

                        http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/07/vim-latex-modification-forward.html

                        The latter post applies most directly with your request.

                        --Ted

                        --
                        Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

                      • Ted Pavlic
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
                          Ted Pavlic wrote:
                          >> The only thing I'm really missing - what Textmate offers - is a way
                          >> to compile LaTeX documents and automatically jumping to the pdf for
                          >> previewing. But the vim project offers more project viewers then
                          >> emacs :-). So... we rock.
                          > The latter post applies most directly with your request.

                          Oh, and if I didn't make it clear, compiling via '\ll' automatically
                          figures out how many times to run LaTeX and when to run bibtex/makeindex.

                          I've modified my own compiler.vim to run makeindex on glossaries/symbol
                          lists/etc. automatically as well.

                          If a Makefile is in your project directory, '\ll' will override its
                          normal rules and will run issue "make (target)" instead (where
                          "(target)" is "dvi", "pdf", or "ps"). If a Makefile is NOT in the
                          directory but multiple TeX files are, if one of those TeX files exists
                          alongside a file with the same name but ending in ".latexmain" instead
                          of ".tex," that TeX file will be used to build the project.

                          --Ted

                          --
                          Ted Pavlic <ted@...>