Re: upgrading vim from Leopard default installation to Macports

  • Morel David
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2008
      Le 1 avr. 08 à 10:15, Ben Schmidt a écrit :

      > Morel David wrote:

      >> you also have environment.plist for each user in ~/Library/
      >> Preferences
      >> IIRC
      >>
      >> David
      >
      > ~/.MacOSX/Environment.plist, I believe. But any PATH set in this
      > file is usually
      > overridden by the /etc/profile or similar file when you start a
      > shell, so setting
      > a PATH there doesn't work. It is possibly useful for setting the
      > PATH for GUI
      > programs (though I doubt it would be truly useful as they usually
      > don't use it
      > anyway) or other environment variables (e.g. I set variables to turn
      > on
      > Thunderbird debugging there).

      Yup. I have CVSIGNORE, MANPATH, RSYNC_RSH and other stuff in there.
      PATH is duly squashed in /etc/profile

      David

      > Ben.
      >
      >>> I'm not sure what MacPorts usually does, but here is a solution
      >>> which is how I've
      >>> done it on my system...
      >>>
      >>> sudo vim /etc/profile
      >>>
      >>> If your system is configured like mine, near the top of that file
      >>> you will find a
      >>> line that says PATH=something. After the = sign, possibly inside
      >>> quotation marks,
      >>> but before anything else, if you add
      >>>
      >>> /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:
      >>>
      >>> that should fix it. The line should then read something like this:
      >>>
      >>> PATH="/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
      >>>
      >>> The PATH environment variable, which is set as a shell variable and
      >>> then exported
      >>> to an environment variable in /etc/profile, is a list of directories
      >>> that are
      >>> searched in order for programs to run as commands when you type
      >>> them.
      >>>
      >>> The change won't take effect until you close your terminal window(s)
      >>> and open new
      >>> ones.
      >>>
      >>> If you use a non-Bourne-style shell (i.e. one that doesn't use /etc/
      >>> profile) you
      >>> will have to alter a different configuration file in a similar way,
      >>> e.g.
      >>> /etc/csh.login.
      >>>
      >>> Hope this helps!
      >>>
      >>> Ben.

    • Ted Pavlic
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2008
        As discussed elsewhere, I think you'll be much happier with MacVim:

        http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

        If you'd like, you can alias "gvim" to "mvim". Additionally, you can
        still use "vim" to open a Terminal vim.

        --Ted

        --
        Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

      • aireydc
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2008
          Thank you all, for the kind and informative help.I have resolved my
          problem.

          I used vim to create a ~/.profile file (I did not have one) containing
          the lines:

          export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
          export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH

          And now a Vim command in the Terminal (bash) correctly runs the up to
          date MacPorts version.

          MacPorts 1.6 (1.7 due soon) will let you install, remove, and keep up
          to date, many unix ports to OS X Leopard, all with simple one line
          commands.

          Now that I resolved that one, I'll check out MacVim to see if it is
          keep parallel with Vim.

          -Dave

        • Ben Schmidt
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2008
            > I used vim to create a ~/.profile file (I did not have one) containing
            > the lines:
            >
            > export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
            > export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH

            I expect you know, but it may be worth noting, that this will only work for the
            one user.

            In particular, if you sudo vim, you will still run the OS X installed Vim. This
            may be what you want, but it may not be (it isn't what I want).

            Cheers,

            Ben.

          • aireydc
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1, 2008
              I understand. I have changed my user profile, not the system profile,
              and even if I'm administrator, those user changes affect only the
              user. To change all users' access to vim in /opt/local/bin, and the
              adminitrator (when sudo is invoked) I need to edit my /etc/path file.
              Thank you again. I'll do that.

              On Apr 1, 10:07 am, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schm...@...> wrote:
              > > I used vim to create a ~/.profile file (I did not have one) containing
              > > the lines:
              >
              > > export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
              > > export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH
              >
              > I expect you know, but it may be worth noting, that this will only work for the
              > one user.
              >
              > In particular, if you sudo vim, you will still run the OS X installed Vim. This
              > may be what you want, but it may not be (it isn't what I want).
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Ben.
            • vivacarlie
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2008
                I would resent saying that macports VIM is inferior to mac vim because
                sometimes you just want a console window. sure you can pass things to
                the gui version of vim with mvim but what if you really don't want to
                wait for it to start up. besides you can just let macports build the
                proper vim variant to support varius script plugins like python ruby
                or perl.

                On Apr 1, 2:23 pm, aireydc <david.c.ai...@...> wrote:
                > I understand. I have changed my user profile, not the system profile,
                > and even if I'm administrator, those user changes affect only the
                > user. To change all users' access to vim in /opt/local/bin, and the
                > adminitrator (when sudo is invoked) I need to edit my /etc/path file.
                > Thank you again. I'll do that.
                >
                > On Apr 1, 10:07 am, Ben Schmidt <mail_ben_schm...@...> wrote:
                >
                > > > I used vim to create a ~/.profile file (I did not have one) containing
                > > > the lines:
                >
                > > > export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
                > > > export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH
                >
                > > I expect you know, but it may be worth noting, that this will only work for the
                > > one user.
                >
                > > In particular, if you sudo vim, you will still run the OS X installed Vim. This
                > > may be what you want, but it may not be (it isn't what I want).
                >
                > > Cheers,
                >
                > > Ben.
              • Nico Weber
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3, 2008
                  > I would resent saying that macports VIM is inferior to mac vim because
                  > sometimes you just want a console window. sure you can pass things to
                  > the gui version of vim with mvim but what if you really don't want to
                  > wait for it to start up.

                  For what it's worth, you can use `alias vim=/Applications/MacVim.app/
                  Contents/MacOS/Vim` to use the vim that ships with MacVim in terminal
                  mode.

                  Which of course doesn't mean you'd always want to do it that way :-P

                  Nico

                • Ted Pavlic
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 3, 2008
                    Additionally, MacVim ships with an "mvim" script that loads Terminal vim
                    when it's called as "vim".

                    If you symlink that mvim script to "vim", you get a terminal window.

                    --Ted

                    --
                    Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

                  • Ben Schmidt
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4, 2008
                      vivacarlie wrote:
                      > I would resent saying that macports VIM is inferior to mac vim because
                      > sometimes you just want a console window.

                      Nobody did, did they?

                      That said, MacVim can run in console mode.

                      I still use console Vim more than any other, but my main console Vim has the GTK2
                      GUI compiled in, which I use from time to time, and I am using MacVim more and
                      more frequently, too. I think MacVim has the potential to satisfy all my Vim needs
                      at some future stage.

                      Ben.