Re: MacVim localization

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2008
      björn wrote:
      > Hi Nico,
      >
      > On 30/03/2008, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:
      >> Hi all and especially Hi Bjorn,
      >>
      >> there was a patch on vim_dev that indicates that some work on MacVim
      >> localization is being done. Some remarks:
      >
      > Yes. I have figured out how to fix the localization issue in MacVim
      > and am slowly starting to implement this (at least for menus).
      >

      >> Vim has its own menu localization system -- depending on the value of
      >> 'langmenu', one of the files in $VIMRUNTIME/lang/ is sourced. This
      >> file contains several `:menutrans` commands that provide a translation
      >> of menu items. All of this is currently disabled in MacVim.
      >>
      >> If this will be turned on in the future, it'd be great if there was
      >> some way to provide mac-specific translations. For example. "File" is
      >> "Datei" in German on Windows and Linux, but it's "Ablage" on the Mac
      >> ("Save" is "Speichern" vs "Sichern", etc). I don't know if this is an
      >> issue in other languages, but I guess it is.
      >>
      >> A simple solution would be to simply add `if has("mac")` lines to the
      >> files in $VIMRUNTIME/lang/ -- but the standard way of doing this
      >> should be documented.
      >
      > That is very interesting, I was not aware that translations were
      > different on Mac vs. Windows etc. I think your solution is
      > adequate...at least I did not immediately come up with any better
      > solutions (but I did come up with some that were worse ;-).
      >
      > Another issue regarding localization is the key equivalents for
      > MacVim. As some of you know, key equivalents (such as "⌘N" that is
      > displayed next to menu items) are set using a MacVim-only command
      > called ":macmenukey" and these should also be localized. I was trying
      > to figure out where to set these localized key equivalents, but I
      > guess we can apply Nico's solution to these as well...just add
      >
      > if has("macvim")
      > macmenukey ...
      > endif
      >
      > to the files in $VIMRUNTIME/lang. Does that sound like a reasonable solution?
      >
      > I was thinking that at some point in time I'd start fixing the Swedish
      > localizations for MacVim and at the same point in time I'd write up
      > some guidelines on how to deal with MacVim localization.

      I think these are great ideas and solutions. For the sake of future merging into
      the Vim codebase and easier maintainability, it would be wise to check Bram is
      happy with the approach. It would be best if MacVim translations could get into
      the official runtimes so that when others maintain those, MacVim comes along for
      the ride rather than needing a separate set of maintainers for all languages in
      MacVim as well as Vim.

      Ben.