Re: Vim6.1 compiling on OS X 10.2

  • ewitness - Ben Fowler
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 7, 2002
      At 2:17 am -0700 7/9/02, Eugene Lee wrote:
      >On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 10:06:53AM +0100, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
      >:
      >: To make the GUI version, I use the provided os_mac.pbproj, and this
      >: fails reporting that it cannot link the symbols
      >:
      >: _BC_PC_UP
      >: _ospeed
      >: _tgetent
      >: _tgetnum
      >: _tgetstr
      >: _tgoto
      >: _tputs
      >:
      >: I think that it is the first of these that is the sticking point,
      >: as this is why the X.I executable does not run on X.II .
      >
      >The other symbols look like curses stuff, which were moved in Jaguar.
      >I think an CFLAGS="-lcurses" might fix some.

      They do indeed look lke curses, but I wonder whether we do wish
      to link the Aqua GUI/Project Builder product with curses.

      These errors might be a result of the omission of termlib.c from
      'Unused Sources'.

      Ben

      Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
    • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 8, 2002
        At 2:17 Uhr -0700 2002-09-07, Eugene Lee wrote:
        >The other symbols look like curses stuff, which were moved in Jaguar.
        >I think an CFLAGS="-lcurses" might fix some.

        This reminds me of a URL I wanted to post here:

        http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2053.html
        http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/pdf/tn2053.pdf

        This describes the changes between 10.1 and 10.2.

        Axel,
        planning to get Jaguar next month.
      • ewitness - Ben Fowler
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 9, 2002
          At 11:35 am +0100 7/9/02, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
          >At 2:17 am -0700 7/9/02, Eugene Lee wrote:
          >>On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 10:06:53AM +0100, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
          >>:
          >>: To make the GUI version, I use the provided os_mac.pbproj, and this
          >>: fails reporting that it cannot link the symbols
          >>:
          > >: _BC_PC_UP

          I think that I was misreading the error report, and that that should
          be

          _BC
          _PC
          _UP

          id est 3 two-letter symbols

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 27, 2002
            On Saturday, September 7, 2002, at 05:17 AM, Eugene Lee wrote:

            > On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 10:06:53AM +0100, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
            > :
            > : To make the GUI version, I use the provided os_mac.pbproj, and this
            > : fails reporting that it cannot link the symbols
            > :
            > : _BC_PC_UP
            > : _ospeed
            > : _tgetent
            > : _tgetnum
            > : _tgetstr
            > : _tgoto
            > : _tputs
            > :
            > : I think that it is the first of these that is the sticking point,
            > : as this is why the X.I executable does not run on X.II .
            >
            > The other symbols look like curses stuff, which were moved in Jaguar.
            > I think an CFLAGS="-lcurses" might fix some.

            Does anyone have an update on this? I think we need to compile
            with -lncurses on 10.2, without it on 10.1. My life would be easier if
            we had a single binary that runs on 10.1 and 10.2.

            --Benji Fisher
          • ewitness - Ben Fowler
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 27, 2002
              At 10:59 am -0400 27/9/02, Benji Fisher wrote:
              >On Saturday, September 7, 2002, at 05:17 AM, Eugene Lee wrote:
              >
              >>On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 10:06:53AM +0100, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
              >>:
              >>: To make the GUI version, I use the provided os_mac.pbproj, and this
              >>: fails reporting that it cannot link the symbols
              >>:
              >>: _BC_PC_UP
              >>: _ospeed
              >>: _tgetent
              >>: _tgetnum
              >>: _tgetstr
              >>: _tgoto
              >>: _tputs
              >>:
              >>: I think that it is the first of these that is the sticking point,
              >>: as this is why the X.I executable does not run on X.II .
              >>
              >>The other symbols look like curses stuff, which were moved in Jaguar.
              >>I think an CFLAGS="-lcurses" might fix some.
              >
              > ... I think we need to compile with -lncurses on 10.2, without it on 10.1. ...

              I believe that this statement is correct. Obviously as I currently only
              use 10.2, I cannot lay down the law for schemes that work equally
              well on both platforms. You may want to take it up with the Project
              Builder people
              who might know how to get the best out of gcc under these circumstances.

              Ben

              Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 27, 2002
                Ben Fowler wrote:

                > > ... I think we need to compile with -lncurses on 10.2, without it on 10.1. ...
                >
                > I believe that this statement is correct. Obviously as I currently only
                > use 10.2, I cannot lay down the law for schemes that work equally
                > well on both platforms. You may want to take it up with the Project
                > Builder people
                > who might know how to get the best out of gcc under these circumstances.

                Note that Vim only needs a few tty functions. I think they are
                tgetent(), tgetnum() and tgetstr(). Using the curses library is a bit
                of overkill. Perhaps there is another library that provides these
                functions and is available both on 10.1 and 10.2? Mostly it's termcap.

                72. Somebody at IRC just mentioned a way to obtain full motion video without
                a PC using a wireless protocol called NTSC, you wonder how you never
                heard about it

              • ewitness - Ben Fowler
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 27, 2002
                  At 7:45 pm +0200 27/9/02, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  >Ben Fowler wrote:
                  >
                  >> > ... I think we need to compile with -lncurses on 10.2, without it on 10.1. ...
                  >>
                  >> I believe that this statement is correct. Obviously as I currently only
                  >> use 10.2, I cannot lay down the law for schemes that work equally
                  >> well on both platforms. You may want to take it up with the Project
                  >> Builder people
                  >> who might know how to get the best out of gcc under these circumstances.
                  >
                  >Note that Vim only needs a few tty functions. I think they are
                  >tgetent(), tgetnum() and tgetstr(). Using the curses library is a bit
                  >of overkill. Perhaps there is another library that provides these
                  >functions and is available both on 10.1 and 10.2? Mostly it's termcap.

                  I'll pick this up.

                  This is obviously the right way to go; but it seems (and I put it
                  no more strongly then that), that 10.2 has termcap and 10.1 does not.

                  I do think that it should be possible to do without the curses library;
                  It is simply going to be rather difficult to verify until someone
                  takes a candidate solution and shows that it runs on 10.1 .