Re: Bug list update

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
      Sébastien Pierre wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Looking at the bug list (http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Bugs), I realised
      > there was a missing feature :
      >
      > - Encoding is not always recognized (e.g. `set fileencoding=latin1`),
      > resulting in MacRoman output instead of the specified encoding.

      I'll try to remember this when I update the page. (If anyone else wants to
      help maintain this site, let me know!) Maybe this week...

      > It would be nice if somebody could compile MacVim with iconv support,
      > so that we could have proper encoding conversion and eventually switch
      > from X11-Vim to MacVim :)

      I believe Muraoka Taro is working on this, using standard Mac libraries to
      emulate gettext and iconv IIUC. If you can give me explicit directions, I will
      try downloading iconv and gettext by fink and compiling against them. Note that
      the usual configure/make process will probably not do it, since this does not
      support the Carbon (Aqua) GUI. Or if someone else can do the compiling, I will
      be happy to post the binary.

      --Benji Fisher
    • Sébastien Pierre
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
        Le mardi, 3 sep 2002, à 02:38 Europe/Paris, Benji Fisher a écrit :

        >> It would be nice if somebody could compile MacVim with iconv support,
        >> so that we could have proper encoding conversion and eventually switch
        >> from X11-Vim to MacVim :)
        >
        > I believe Muraoka Taro is working on this, using standard Mac
        > libraries to
        > emulate gettext and iconv IIUC. If you can give me explicit
        > directions, I will
        > try downloading iconv and gettext by fink and compiling against them.
        > Note that
        > the usual configure/make process will probably not do it, since this
        > does not
        > support the Carbon (Aqua) GUI. Or if someone else can do the
        > compiling, I will
        > be happy to post the binary.

        I actually tried once to enable libiconv with Vim 6 and the Mac
        patches, but there was some troubles with header that where not found.
        So I didn't investigate further because I didn't figure out why I had
        such an error. Maybe you will have better luck ?

        If you have fink installed, there are chances that libiconv is already
        installed. As I remember a simple change in the patched makefile
        #defines should allow you to specify that you want to compile iconv
        support.

        Good luck ;)

        -- Sébastien

        BTW: If you manage this, I could write a CarbonVim package for Fink, as
        it is already the case for emacs-aqua
        --
        «children are innocent / a teenager's fucked up in the head /
        adults are even more fucked up / and elderlies are like children»