Bug list update

  • Sébastien Pierre
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi all,

      Looking at the bug list (http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Bugs), I realised
      there was a missing feature :

      - Encoding is not always recognized (e.g. `set fileencoding=latin1`),
      resulting in MacRoman output instead of the specified encoding.

      It would be nice if somebody could compile MacVim with iconv support,
      so that we could have proper encoding conversion and eventually switch
      from X11-Vim to MacVim :)

      Cheers,

      -- Sébastien

      --
      «On ne boit pas du vin avec un CheeseBurger dans les mains.»
      <http://www.type-z.org> -- Zoé D. on houtskool
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
        Sébastien Pierre wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Looking at the bug list (http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Bugs), I realised
        > there was a missing feature :
        >
        > - Encoding is not always recognized (e.g. `set fileencoding=latin1`),
        > resulting in MacRoman output instead of the specified encoding.

        I'll try to remember this when I update the page. (If anyone else wants to
        help maintain this site, let me know!) Maybe this week...

        > It would be nice if somebody could compile MacVim with iconv support,
        > so that we could have proper encoding conversion and eventually switch
        > from X11-Vim to MacVim :)

        I believe Muraoka Taro is working on this, using standard Mac libraries to
        emulate gettext and iconv IIUC. If you can give me explicit directions, I will
        try downloading iconv and gettext by fink and compiling against them. Note that
        the usual configure/make process will probably not do it, since this does not
        support the Carbon (Aqua) GUI. Or if someone else can do the compiling, I will
        be happy to post the binary.

        --Benji Fisher
      • Sébastien Pierre
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
          Le mardi, 3 sep 2002, à 02:38 Europe/Paris, Benji Fisher a écrit :

          >> It would be nice if somebody could compile MacVim with iconv support,
          >> so that we could have proper encoding conversion and eventually switch
          >> from X11-Vim to MacVim :)
          >
          > I believe Muraoka Taro is working on this, using standard Mac
          > libraries to
          > emulate gettext and iconv IIUC. If you can give me explicit
          > directions, I will
          > try downloading iconv and gettext by fink and compiling against them.
          > Note that
          > the usual configure/make process will probably not do it, since this
          > does not
          > support the Carbon (Aqua) GUI. Or if someone else can do the
          > compiling, I will
          > be happy to post the binary.

          I actually tried once to enable libiconv with Vim 6 and the Mac
          patches, but there was some troubles with header that where not found.
          So I didn't investigate further because I didn't figure out why I had
          such an error. Maybe you will have better luck ?

          If you have fink installed, there are chances that libiconv is already
          installed. As I remember a simple change in the patched makefile
          #defines should allow you to specify that you want to compile iconv
          support.

          Good luck ;)

          -- Sébastien

          BTW: If you manage this, I could write a CarbonVim package for Fink, as
          it is already the case for emacs-aqua
          --
          «children are innocent / a teenager's fucked up in the head /
          adults are even more fucked up / and elderlies are like children»