Vim6.1 compiling on OS X 10.2

  • Marcus Kazmierczak
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 27 4:57 PM
      vim 6.1 does not build on Mac OS X 10.2 which
      I've installed the developer tools and is using gcc 3.1

      Depending on the various ways I've tried it I get
      the two following errors:

      (1) Using Make_osx.mak as specified on vimmac list

      ld: Undefined symbols:
      _perl_buf_free
      _im_get_status
      _im_set_active
      _ex_perl
      _ex_perldo
      _im_set_position
      _perl_end
      _BC
      _PC
      _UP
      _ospeed
      _tgetent
      _tgetflag
      _tgetnum
      _tgetstr
      _tgoto
      _tputs
      _perl_win_free
      make: *** [Vim.x_unix] Error 1

      (2) Using ./configure and make

      fileio.c: In function `filemess':
      fileio.c:147: warning: implicit declaration of function `strlen'
      fileio.c:149: warning: implicit declaration of function `strcat'
      fileio.c: In function `readfile':
      fileio.c:473: `O_RDONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
      fileio.c:473: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
      fileio.c:473: for each function it appears in.)
      fileio.c: In function `check_for_cryptkey':
      fileio.c:2100: warning: implicit declaration of function `strncmp'
      fileio.c: In function `set_file_time':
      fileio.c:2168: warning: passing arg 2 of `utimes' from incompatible
      pointer type
      fileio.c: In function `buf_write':
      fileio.c:2339: warning: implicit declaration of function `strcmp'
      fileio.c:2664: warning: implicit declaration of function `strcpy'
      fileio.c:2671: `O_CREAT' undeclared (first use in this function)
      fileio.c:2671: `O_WRONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
      fileio.c:2671: `O_EXCL' undeclared (first use in this function)
      fileio.c:2678: warning: implicit declaration of function `chown'
      fileio.c:2693: `O_RDONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
      fileio.c:3202: `O_APPEND' undeclared (first use in this function)
      fileio.c:3202: `O_TRUNC' undeclared (first use in this function)
      fileio.c: In function `vim_rename':
      fileio.c:4912: `O_RDONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
      fileio.c:4915: `O_CREAT' undeclared (first use in this function)
      fileio.c:4915: `O_EXCL' undeclared (first use in this function)
      fileio.c:4915: `O_WRONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
      make[1]: *** [objects/fileio.o] Error 1
      make: *** [first] Error 2
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 28 6:16 AM
        Marcus Kazmierczak wrote:

        > vim 6.1 does not build on Mac OS X 10.2 which
        > I've installed the developer tools and is using gcc 3.1
        >
        > Depending on the various ways I've tried it I get
        > the two following errors:
        >
        > (1) Using Make_osx.mak as specified on vimmac list
        >
        > ld: Undefined symbols:
        > _perl_buf_free
        > _im_get_status
        > _im_set_active
        > _ex_perl
        > _ex_perldo
        > _im_set_position
        > _perl_end
        > _BC
        > _PC
        > _UP
        > _ospeed
        > _tgetent
        > _tgetflag
        > _tgetnum
        > _tgetstr
        > _tgoto
        > _tputs
        > _perl_win_free
        > make: *** [Vim.x_unix] Error 1
        >
        > (2) Using ./configure and make
        >
        > fileio.c: In function `filemess':
        > fileio.c:147: warning: implicit declaration of function `strlen'
        > fileio.c:149: warning: implicit declaration of function `strcat'
        > fileio.c: In function `readfile':
        > fileio.c:473: `O_RDONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
        > fileio.c:473: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
        > fileio.c:473: for each function it appears in.)
        > fileio.c: In function `check_for_cryptkey':
        > fileio.c:2100: warning: implicit declaration of function `strncmp'
        > fileio.c: In function `set_file_time':
        > fileio.c:2168: warning: passing arg 2 of `utimes' from incompatible
        > pointer type
        > fileio.c: In function `buf_write':
        > fileio.c:2339: warning: implicit declaration of function `strcmp'
        > fileio.c:2664: warning: implicit declaration of function `strcpy'
        > fileio.c:2671: `O_CREAT' undeclared (first use in this function)
        > fileio.c:2671: `O_WRONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
        > fileio.c:2671: `O_EXCL' undeclared (first use in this function)
        > fileio.c:2678: warning: implicit declaration of function `chown'
        > fileio.c:2693: `O_RDONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
        > fileio.c:3202: `O_APPEND' undeclared (first use in this function)
        > fileio.c:3202: `O_TRUNC' undeclared (first use in this function)
        > fileio.c: In function `vim_rename':
        > fileio.c:4912: `O_RDONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
        > fileio.c:4915: `O_CREAT' undeclared (first use in this function)
        > fileio.c:4915: `O_EXCL' undeclared (first use in this function)
        > fileio.c:4915: `O_WRONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
        > make[1]: *** [objects/fileio.o] Error 1
        > make: *** [first] Error 2

        I think vim-mac is the best list for this discussion, so I am not cc'ing
        this to vim-dev.

        First of all, you can get a pre-compiled binary for Jaguar at
        http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX .

        Second, several of the official (numbered) patches are Mac-specific, so I
        would try patching the sources before compiling. You might prefer to use CVS to
        download the patched source. (Can someone contribute an OSX-specific HOWTO for
        downloading by CVS? I could add that to the web site.)

        Third, there are a few versions of Muraoka Taro's Make_osx.mak, and I have
        had trouble with the most recent (enabling gettext and iconv emulation). I use
        an older version; see http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers for details.

        HTH --Benji Fisher

        P.S. I will do some work on the web site after I catch up on my e-mail. Do not
        hold your breath waiting. :-(
      • Marcus Kazmierczak
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 28 9:55 AM
          On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, at 06:16 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

          > First of all, you can get a pre-compiled binary for Jaguar at
          > http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX .

          I had already downloaded this version but want a console/terminal
          version of vim. But once I found the "open -a vim" command to
          open files from the Terminal, my need is not as great.

          I'll download the latest from cvs and see how that goes.

          Thanks for the help!

          -Marcus
        • Aaron Hall
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 29 2:01 AM
            On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > Marcus Kazmierczak wrote:

            [snip]

            > > fileio.c:2664: warning: implicit declaration of function `strcpy'
            > > fileio.c:2671: `O_CREAT' undeclared (first use in this function)
            > > fileio.c:2671: `O_WRONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
            > > fileio.c:2671: `O_EXCL' undeclared (first use in this function)
            > > fileio.c:2678: warning: implicit declaration of function `chown'
            > > fileio.c:2693: `O_RDONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
            > > fileio.c:3202: `O_APPEND' undeclared (first use in this function)
            > > fileio.c:3202: `O_TRUNC' undeclared (first use in this function)
            > > fileio.c: In function `vim_rename':
            > > fileio.c:4912: `O_RDONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
            > > fileio.c:4915: `O_CREAT' undeclared (first use in this function)
            > > fileio.c:4915: `O_EXCL' undeclared (first use in this function)
            > > fileio.c:4915: `O_WRONLY' undeclared (first use in this function)
            > > make[1]: *** [objects/fileio.o] Error 1
            > > make: *** [first] Error 2

            I'm trying to compile a console-only version of vim 6.1 from the
            standard sources, and I'm running into the same problem. I haven't
            gotten to the bottom of this yet (I'm not a programmer, just screwin'
            around), but it seems like something is confusing configure. This is
            part of the output I get when running make config:

            checking for ANSI C header files... no
            checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
            checking for stdlib.h... no
            checking for string.h... no
            checking for sys/select.h... no
            checking for sys/utsname.h... no
            checking for termcap.h... no
            checking for fcntl.h... no
            checking for sgtty.h... no
            checking for sys/ioctl.h... no
            checking for sys/time.h... no
            checking for termio.h... no

            That's obviously wrong. From config.log, what seems to be happening is
            that configure is trying to run /lib/cpp to check for the existence of
            those files, and /lib/cpp doesn't exist. I've applied patches 6.1.080,
            6.1.084, and 6.1.104 as recommended here:

            <slrnahe9n9.k4b.jbroeks@...>

            ...and some others as well. I'll try omitting the others, and just
            leaving those three. I also might try symlinking cpp to /lib/cpp, just
            to see what happens. :)

            I hope this provides some kind of insight, I'll keep banging on it
            myself.

            - Aaron

            --
            Aaron Hall : I claim this planet in the name of Mars.
            ahall@... : Hmmm, isn't that lovely?

            Macintosh/UNIX Geek, Network Flack, and...eh, whatever.
          • ewitness - Ben Fowler
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 7, 2002
              At 9:16 am -0400 28/8/02, Benji Fisher wrote:
              >Marcus Kazmierczak wrote:
              >>
              >> vim 6.1 does not build on Mac OS X 10.2 which
              > > I've installed the developer tools and is using gcc 3.1

              I have been able to make vim on Jaguar, using gcc 2.95.2 .

              After

              ./configure
              make

              There is an executable, src/vim (3 708 748 bytes) which runs.

              To make the GUI version, I use the provided os_mac.pbproj, and this
              fails reporting that it cannot link the symbols

              _BC_PC_UP
              _ospeed
              _tgetent
              _tgetnum
              _tgetstr
              _tgoto
              _tputs

              I think that it is the first of these that is the sticking point,
              as this is why the X.I executable does not run on X.II .

              Ben

              Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
            • Eugene Lee
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2002
                On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 10:06:53AM +0100, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
                :
                : To make the GUI version, I use the provided os_mac.pbproj, and this
                : fails reporting that it cannot link the symbols
                :
                : _BC_PC_UP
                : _ospeed
                : _tgetent
                : _tgetnum
                : _tgetstr
                : _tgoto
                : _tputs
                :
                : I think that it is the first of these that is the sticking point,
                : as this is why the X.I executable does not run on X.II .

                The other symbols look like curses stuff, which were moved in Jaguar.
                I think an CFLAGS="-lcurses" might fix some.

                --
                Eugene Lee
                eugene@...
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 7, 2002
                  At 2:17 am -0700 7/9/02, Eugene Lee wrote:
                  >On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 10:06:53AM +0100, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
                  >:
                  >: To make the GUI version, I use the provided os_mac.pbproj, and this
                  >: fails reporting that it cannot link the symbols
                  >:
                  >: _BC_PC_UP
                  >: _ospeed
                  >: _tgetent
                  >: _tgetnum
                  >: _tgetstr
                  >: _tgoto
                  >: _tputs
                  >:
                  >: I think that it is the first of these that is the sticking point,
                  >: as this is why the X.I executable does not run on X.II .
                  >
                  >The other symbols look like curses stuff, which were moved in Jaguar.
                  >I think an CFLAGS="-lcurses" might fix some.

                  They do indeed look lke curses, but I wonder whether we do wish
                  to link the Aqua GUI/Project Builder product with curses.

                  These errors might be a result of the omission of termlib.c from
                  'Unused Sources'.

                  Ben

                  Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
                • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 8, 2002
                    At 2:17 Uhr -0700 2002-09-07, Eugene Lee wrote:
                    >The other symbols look like curses stuff, which were moved in Jaguar.
                    >I think an CFLAGS="-lcurses" might fix some.

                    This reminds me of a URL I wanted to post here:

                    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2053.html
                    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/pdf/tn2053.pdf

                    This describes the changes between 10.1 and 10.2.

                    Axel,
                    planning to get Jaguar next month.
                  • ewitness - Ben Fowler
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 9, 2002
                      At 11:35 am +0100 7/9/02, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
                      >At 2:17 am -0700 7/9/02, Eugene Lee wrote:
                      >>On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 10:06:53AM +0100, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
                      >>:
                      >>: To make the GUI version, I use the provided os_mac.pbproj, and this
                      >>: fails reporting that it cannot link the symbols
                      >>:
                      > >: _BC_PC_UP

                      I think that I was misreading the error report, and that that should
                      be

                      _BC
                      _PC
                      _UP

                      id est 3 two-letter symbols

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 27, 2002
                        On Saturday, September 7, 2002, at 05:17 AM, Eugene Lee wrote:

                        > On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 10:06:53AM +0100, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
                        > :
                        > : To make the GUI version, I use the provided os_mac.pbproj, and this
                        > : fails reporting that it cannot link the symbols
                        > :
                        > : _BC_PC_UP
                        > : _ospeed
                        > : _tgetent
                        > : _tgetnum
                        > : _tgetstr
                        > : _tgoto
                        > : _tputs
                        > :
                        > : I think that it is the first of these that is the sticking point,
                        > : as this is why the X.I executable does not run on X.II .
                        >
                        > The other symbols look like curses stuff, which were moved in Jaguar.
                        > I think an CFLAGS="-lcurses" might fix some.

                        Does anyone have an update on this? I think we need to compile
                        with -lncurses on 10.2, without it on 10.1. My life would be easier if
                        we had a single binary that runs on 10.1 and 10.2.

                        --Benji Fisher
                      • ewitness - Ben Fowler
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 27, 2002
                          At 10:59 am -0400 27/9/02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                          >On Saturday, September 7, 2002, at 05:17 AM, Eugene Lee wrote:
                          >
                          >>On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 10:06:53AM +0100, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
                          >>:
                          >>: To make the GUI version, I use the provided os_mac.pbproj, and this
                          >>: fails reporting that it cannot link the symbols
                          >>:
                          >>: _BC_PC_UP
                          >>: _ospeed
                          >>: _tgetent
                          >>: _tgetnum
                          >>: _tgetstr
                          >>: _tgoto
                          >>: _tputs
                          >>:
                          >>: I think that it is the first of these that is the sticking point,
                          >>: as this is why the X.I executable does not run on X.II .
                          >>
                          >>The other symbols look like curses stuff, which were moved in Jaguar.
                          >>I think an CFLAGS="-lcurses" might fix some.
                          >
                          > ... I think we need to compile with -lncurses on 10.2, without it on 10.1. ...

                          I believe that this statement is correct. Obviously as I currently only
                          use 10.2, I cannot lay down the law for schemes that work equally
                          well on both platforms. You may want to take it up with the Project
                          Builder people
                          who might know how to get the best out of gcc under these circumstances.

                          Ben

                          Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
                        • Bram Moolenaar
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 27, 2002
                            Ben Fowler wrote:

                            > > ... I think we need to compile with -lncurses on 10.2, without it on 10.1. ...
                            >
                            > I believe that this statement is correct. Obviously as I currently only
                            > use 10.2, I cannot lay down the law for schemes that work equally
                            > well on both platforms. You may want to take it up with the Project
                            > Builder people
                            > who might know how to get the best out of gcc under these circumstances.

                            Note that Vim only needs a few tty functions. I think they are
                            tgetent(), tgetnum() and tgetstr(). Using the curses library is a bit
                            of overkill. Perhaps there is another library that provides these
                            functions and is available both on 10.1 and 10.2? Mostly it's termcap.

                            72. Somebody at IRC just mentioned a way to obtain full motion video without
                            a PC using a wireless protocol called NTSC, you wonder how you never
                            heard about it

                          • ewitness - Ben Fowler
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 27, 2002
                              At 7:45 pm +0200 27/9/02, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                              >Ben Fowler wrote:
                              >
                              >> > ... I think we need to compile with -lncurses on 10.2, without it on 10.1. ...
                              >>
                              >> I believe that this statement is correct. Obviously as I currently only
                              >> use 10.2, I cannot lay down the law for schemes that work equally
                              >> well on both platforms. You may want to take it up with the Project
                              >> Builder people
                              >> who might know how to get the best out of gcc under these circumstances.
                              >
                              >Note that Vim only needs a few tty functions. I think they are
                              >tgetent(), tgetnum() and tgetstr(). Using the curses library is a bit
                              >of overkill. Perhaps there is another library that provides these
                              >functions and is available both on 10.1 and 10.2? Mostly it's termcap.

                              I'll pick this up.

                              This is obviously the right way to go; but it seems (and I put it
                              no more strongly then that), that 10.2 has termcap and 10.1 does not.

                              I do think that it should be possible to do without the curses library;
                              It is simply going to be rather difficult to verify until someone
                              takes a candidate solution and shows that it runs on 10.1 .