Re: vcscommand and MacVim

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008

      > I'm having strange problems with the vcscommand plugin. When I call
      > mvim from the command line (no graphical gui), it recognizes that
      > files are under certain VCS. When I open the same files in MacVim,
      > nothing happens. Both vim and MacVim share the same statusline...

      What's the output of `:pwd` in both cases?

      Nico

    • Nikola Knežević
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
        On 4 Mar 2008, at 19:26 , björn wrote:
        >> I'm having strange problems with the vcscommand plugin. When I call
        >> mvim from the command line (no graphical gui), it recognizes that
        >> files are under certain VCS. When I open the same files in MacVim,
        >> nothing happens. Both vim and MacVim share the same statusline...
        >>
        >> Any hints?
        >
        > I don't really understand what the problem is (can you give us
        > step-by-step instructions on how to recreate it?) but it might just be
        > a $PATH issue. Try opening the preferences and enable the "Launch Vim
        > processes in a login shell" option.

        Hi Bjorn,
        I've just turned off that option, because I had problems with it (I'll
        explain later why).

        And you are right, it is a $PATH issue. MacVim has a stripped down
        version of the path, while console version gets the full path.

        So, lets get back to the problem. I have ~/work/macvim7 folder, which
        is under git. When I run console version of vim, statusline correctly
        shows that the VCS is git. When I run MacVim on the same file (same
        set of :cd and :e commands), statusline doesn't show that the VCS is
        git. git is in the /opt/local/bin.

        Also, I had problems with the same plugin, when 'Launch Vim processes
        in a login shell' was on. I'm using zsh as a default shell. With this
        option on, when I repeat the above steps, MacVim "hangs". ps aux shows
        this:
        /bin/zsh -c (svk info "/home/nikkne/work/macvim7") >/var/folders/aZ/
        aZYa0...../2 2>&1
        and this process never exits.
        WHen I kill it, MacVim defreezes with an error message from
        vcscommand.vim plugin.

        Is there another way to inherit the complete $PATH in MacVim?

        Cheers,
        Nikola
      • Ben Schmidt
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
          > Also, I had problems with the same plugin, when 'Launch Vim processes
          > in a login shell' was on. I'm using zsh as a default shell.

          Yes. The 'Launch Vim processes in a login shell' won't work with zsh...yet. There
          is a patch in the pipeline that Björn and I have been collaborating on that will
          fix this.

          > Is there another way to inherit the complete $PATH in MacVim?

          I discovered this recently, which you might be able to modify to suit your needs:

          http://macvim.org/OSX/files/vimrc

          referenced from

          http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php

          It's designed to work with Carbon Vim, I believe, but would probably work with
          MacVim with a little fiddling.

          When the MacVim patch is merged, though, which I believe won't be too far in the
          future, it will be better than this workaround.

          Ben.

        • Axel Kielhorn
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
            Am 05.03.2008 um 14:52 schrieb Ben Schmidt:

            >> Also, I had problems with the same plugin, when 'Launch Vim processes
            >> in a login shell' was on. I'm using zsh as a default shell.
            >
            > Yes. The 'Launch Vim processes in a login shell' won't work with
            > zsh...yet. There
            > is a patch in the pipeline that Björn and I have been collaborating
            > on that will
            > fix this.
            >
            >> Is there another way to inherit the complete $PATH in MacVim?
            >
            > I discovered this recently, which you might be able to modify to
            > suit your needs:
            >
            > http://macvim.org/OSX/files/vimrc

            The alternative is to have a file

            ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

            containing something like this:

            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
            <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
            www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
            <plist version="1.0">
            <dict>
            <key>PATH</key>
            <string>/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin</
            string>
            </dict>
            </plist>

            This sets the PATH for every GUI application.

            Axel