Re: Vim patches

  • Rain Dog
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 15, 2002
      On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 03:29 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > Rain Dog wrote:
      >>
      >> I've taken the liberty of patching Taro Muraoka's Make_osx.mak
      >> with this change as well as the Info.plist changes that enable
      >> drag-and-drop.
      >
      > Note that the latest Make_osx.mak did not work well
      > for me, so the one I have been using is an earlier version.

      I had a problem linking if_perl, which I resolved by turning
      Perl support off with "env PERL=no make -f Make_osx.mak".
      If that doesn't help you too, you might want to consider,
      as someone suggested earlier, using pbxbuild instead of make.

      > Do you prefer to be addressed as Peter or as Rain Dog?

      Peter's fine.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2002
        On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 06:29 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > Rain Dog wrote:
        >>
        >> Attached is a tarball containing a patch to gui_mac.c that
        >> addresses this.
        >> There was a problem with the way that Carbon "file references" were
        >> being
        >> converted into UNIX-style pathnames when the files in question didn't
        >> already exist.
        >>
        >> The resource file containing the dialog box template appears to be
        >> missing.
        >> If you've been building with make, adding a command like the following
        >> to the makefile should solve the problem:
        > [snip]
        >> If you've been using Project Builder, I'm stumped; it should take
        >> care of
        >> this for you.
        >
        > Yes, I have been using Muraoka Taro's Make_osx.mak . I have been
        > documenting how I build vim at
        > http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers
        >
        >> I've taken the liberty of patching Taro Muraoka's Make_osx.mak
        >> (which hopefully can eventually make its way into the CVS repository)
        >> with this change as well as the Info.plist changes that enable
        >> drag-and-drop.
        >> That patch is also included in the tarball.
        >
        > Thanks. That will simplify my build process. I just got back
        > from one
        > trip, and am about to leave for another, so I may not have a chance to
        > test this
        > for another week or two. Note that the latest Make_osx.mak did not
        > work well
        > for me, so the one I have been using is an earlier version.

        Sorry, "a week or two" became more like four.

        I have tested the patch, and it seems to work. (Yay!) I can now do

        :browse saveas

        and actually write a file from the GUI file selector. Also,
        inputdialog() no longer crashes vim. (If you want to try this at home,
        you also have to reverse the part of Patch 6.1.076 that disables GUI
        dialogues, or wait until I post a more convenient patch.) Minor
        complaint: when I call inputdialog() with a default, as in

        echo inputdialog("foo", 3)

        the cursor in the dialogue box is positioned at the start of the default
        text. Can it be made to select the default text, or place the cursor at
        the end?

        I tried getting the source by CVS. It seemed to work, but when I
        tried to compile, I got linker errors. This may have something to do
        with the patch levels: I successfully compiled 6.1.100 with Peter's
        patches, failed to compile 6.1.171 (I think) obtained from CVS. To be
        continued...

        Other download issues: curl does not seem to be able to locate
        ftp.vim.org . (I am using /usr/bin/curl , which comes with OSX 10.1,
        version 7.7.2 .) I did use curl with a mirror
        (ftp.rge.com/pub/editors/vim) but it did not seem to process
        "6.1.[101-171]" as I expected from the man page. Any clues?

        Makefile gurus: how come when I patch feature.h (to enable GUI
        dialogues again) and recompile, it does not work? I suppose there is no
        feature.o ... can this be fixed?

        TODO (mine): test some more patches; update the instructions at
        http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX#Developers (and the bugs list); post patches
        and submit them to Bram; post a new binary. I may wait until Tuesday
        and upload the new binary when I have a faster connection.

        --Benji Fisher
      • ewitness - Ben Fowler
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2002
          At 5:08 pm -0400 13/9/02, Benji Fisher wrote:
          >[ ... ]
          > Sorry, "a week or two" became more like four.
          >
          > I have tested the patch, and it seems to work. (Yay!) I can now do
          >
          >:browse saveas
          >
          >and actually write a file from the GUI file selector. ...

          VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled 09/11/02 19:54:25)
          MacOS X (unix) version
          Included patches: 1-174

          For me :browse saveas operates the dialogue correctly, and handles
          the case of over-writing an existing file, but does not actually
          write the file. Also the prompt ':browse saveas' does not disappear.

          Ben

          Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2002
            ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:

            > At 5:08 pm -0400 13/9/02, Benji Fisher wrote:
            > >[ ... ]
            > > Sorry, "a week or two" became more like four.
            > >
            > > I have tested the patch, and it seems to work. (Yay!) I can now do
            > >
            > >:browse saveas
            > >
            > >and actually write a file from the GUI file selector. ...
            >
            > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled 09/11/02 19:54:25)
            > MacOS X (unix) version
            > Included patches: 1-174
            >
            > For me :browse saveas operates the dialogue correctly, and handles
            > the case of over-writing an existing file, but does not actually
            > write the file. Also the prompt ':browse saveas' does not disappear.

            If you want it to work, you have to include the patch that started this
            thread. In a few days, I will post a version of the patch on the web.

            --Benji Fisher
          • ewitness - Ben Fowler
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 13, 2002
              At 8:26 pm -0400 13/9/02, Benji Fisher wrote:
              >ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
              >[...]
              > > For me :browse saveas operates the dialogue correctly, and handles
              >> the case of over-writing an existing file, but does not actually
              >> write the file. Also the prompt ':browse saveas' does not disappear.
              >
              > If you want it to work, you have to include the patch that started this
              >thread. In a few days, I will post a version of the patch on the web.

              Indeed.

              I found the patch here:

              It works as advertised.