Vim patches

  • Rain Dog
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11, 2002
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      > The Save As... dialogue does not work. If I try :browse saveas
      then Vim
      > brings up a dialogue box, I can enter a file name, but nothing
      gets saved.

      Attached is a tarball containing a patch to gui_mac.c that
      addresses this.
      There was a problem with the way that Carbon "file references" were
      being
      converted into UNIX-style pathnames when the files in question didn't
      already exist.

      > Even worse: the inputdialog() function causes a crash. (Thanks to
      > Timothy F. Havel for the bug report!) In the latest version, I have
      > compiled without support for dialogue boxes, so vim no longer crashes.

      The resource file containing the dialog box template appears to be
      missing.
      If you've been building with make, adding a command like the following
      to the makefile should solve the problem:

      /Developer/Tools/ResMerger gui_mac.rsrc -dstIs DF \
      -o $(APPDIR)/Contents/Resources/$(APPEXE).rsrc

      (where gui_mac.rsrc is the file that results from expanding
      os_mac.rsr.hqx).
      If you've been using Project Builder, I'm stumped; it should take
      care of
      this for you.

      I've taken the liberty of patching Taro Muraoka's Make_osx.mak
      (which hopefully can eventually make its way into the CVS repository)
      with this change as well as the Info.plist changes that enable
      drag-and-drop.
      That patch is also included in the tarball.

      Peter Cucka
      raindog@...
      (formerly raindog@...)

      ---------- 8< ---------- 8< ---------- 8< ---------- 8< ----------

      begin 644 patches.tgz
      M'XL("!@L5ST``W!A=&-H97,N=&%R`.U8Z6_:2!3O5_)7O-"HX3`8$XZ$)MFF
      M'!6K'`AHU`\K51-[#%:,;<V,V:15__=],S9G'#9MTW17X@EB9N;-[]WC>;D@
      MM_2SS^^*$W);#(@PQZ^>G4I&J52K5%Z5D.JUFGJ6RM$8J5J2:_5JN5J3GQ+.
      M&P>5.LX]ORH/*>2",!094$'9!CYDL^V74.AE*9?+P<52#GR^ZG<_I`:A!V?A
      M"`P#C'JC>MBH'$$98[93*!16V)<YRZ5&^1`_$6=NE>08#DK:01744`+)80WP
      M5V$'H-F#$S`#*`0XN+C&P60*!5NN#,\^#.2B(".^DX=^>W#1_X`3>HM.J>L'
      ME.E#WW>YWJ?\@K(19;@+/Z]?OX:.2T80A%^^N%1.)FEEU(XTHUZ/]`)(O:/F
      MV(=TDU$B'&\$O=M1U[/]]&*MX$'ZK-<[_P,I#:>P]TYB[P*CW`^927D#]C+(
      MT.KVLWK3]P3U!$^8D@I'&_11Z'R>$+/HF!Y'L"?S-F!M9VHOT^QE8>\XUBH1
      M2]I3#%R'B\9*.)/4GAN5Y)L%4%J%U*B7-..P-`OJ[_?E9DZUV/[4SA899^;S
      M^3W_/6(74$J)O(2*<ES!%2PNNAQ:'2CX+Q[3Q'HYJFCE4GFM7O93Q[?T_K39
      M>1]ZEDL'8Y^):\JXXWL#P1#W6)?K^W`:QWBQCZOUT[W,=;L_Z%Y=9H_U>$IR
      MKS$O"^F:OM=Q7+H*O?L0.G;P"NZZ%@IX,`^2Q+T@04"MQQ47+*1ZPLJQ;CFF
      M2%Q0?EU:B:KFJ*Z5R[6UJOD_>%1E_Z]U:_X156-7K,+DG^R$3=`MWPPG6"C#
      M^X#RQP40QDCB2NIX)?[+*ZN"I(#V'=:DM.1Q2:E-LE)S2W.;#$0V?0/(`[62
      M,V%U3RQ-W(GD/-@LX9),GH)^.8BRO7?C$V;)C=\IYVJP.8Y/]2[2<SJX[S_)
      MN6W+$3[;*'CMN%E.T36-?NR(^MUWU"W].IJ=X^:O:OY>/:'_*\?]GV%4ZQ5#
      M]7\XO^W_7H"ZGD7O%C=0<^?DYVFGWQR`C>^.!NCFE#/?%_K4F:@OWG#G]VA3
      MF^XPBN<:G<I[)\.'?`^"43RH[UB.;4/!A`*3PR4%Y15T/DH9!_`GMJ"RY03C
      ML%$]:E0.H"#3*J5@Y/5JB;NDFE7%7:I@5]NH'$;<B3?=2J5B:/AGWAM*<FS(
      M<"(USL8S7^7QJ>>@.2;>B*+EC`L(")O`6;M%N0D9@>=]9S#(0LZB-@E=<>Z;
      M>-E&6X4/$UEX8-FN@)PN[UJ79-H+A7SY0N;RX_FY!F\8#=Q[?'ID>A7(C5R#
      M:&G_NGNQNX_/8?O3<#^:S;Z5&DE%=]7&XI2XCM6GIL\LJ71*:HV>#YFG^-_&
      MAGQ3[EI8'=]'_XM6Q];.K/\YJY-B7RU7ZEJU7"LMQQYR,!RCK:%G*CM"3BT8
      M4T:!R.^4."ZY00,<#YJ$W?B>!C>A6&RV?/!\,9;9'GH4VS3S:@"'0#P+CN9<
      M>M0`2Z*,^>RD,PAD0]?!6S0:]T96EG*.+9V%5N_.(Z3XL]*;:W;&/'B(B9"?
      M*"0)V2-BC(@QE`:9CUU/'$(NBX$48TW]'3A?5H5$((E2(@LP*<XL"P1Z2GZY
      M2_@8B%`#BJ8BB$>IA:Y3MLYP;=^U*&HO<S#V_I&QG(,OY/W\JCOAY`1LSVXS
      M5"T?9WY>97[75B;)>,B,OD%3R115LGS*I20@+O;4UCW0.[Q1:>`(<+BWCU7B
      M<^Z@IA('\7`O7K:GE.$Z-N=8,@$UT0J<)QZH8!4!WH<"_J9@XA1RXW4P-%&"
      M%V/$FVS4=Z;3/I?EB&T,1)[%R#F>227(&/54LJ:^BYV.=$&,8SF,FGCAO(=N
      MBV<UY9QHFQB3.9*R,+9JH9.T8&:29$XR1)N;*M6,4AKCI=(H8HQ2+\9!\1H:
      MXQ%7'@2R;_2LN8$>-A#%*&*I6!:J+Y]OHRD)CC/X4!/81Y2K5:"30-QWXOUP
      M`NF_@K1:C\.-6D7E)I$R**S9>U]$&/5_$<>_1KC+<#+3$!XPM%@+?[>T54%8
      ML;%R625LJ5SSB4>3K*^%1HL3(#/#B1!Q1E5G:K7^'P&,:E<A+AT!F1AH=@#D
      ML@GEGUJK_0<2=I6$P;#?/!MF(H"TGH[VKLS.8M<3;'ZP?)N=>"ZG\<^O<N.&
      M,ENI+CY/Q!&-RL@.75=9$"M[<S]+/7D`/%YHT=OHJ2?OO[E]=\GM/WCN/L'Q
      FD0>?ZP#^W7?2+6UI2UO:TI:VM*4M;6E+6]K2\],_&G/Z90`H``#M
      `
      end
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 15, 2002
        Rain Dog wrote:

        > Attached is a tarball containing a patch to gui_mac.c that
        > addresses this.
        > There was a problem with the way that Carbon "file references" were
        > being
        > converted into UNIX-style pathnames when the files in question didn't
        > already exist.
        >
        > The resource file containing the dialog box template appears to be
        > missing.
        > If you've been building with make, adding a command like the following
        > to the makefile should solve the problem:
        [snip]
        > If you've been using Project Builder, I'm stumped; it should take
        > care of
        > this for you.

        Yes, I have been using Muraoka Taro's Make_osx.mak . I have been
        documenting how I build vim at
        http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers

        > I've taken the liberty of patching Taro Muraoka's Make_osx.mak
        > (which hopefully can eventually make its way into the CVS repository)
        > with this change as well as the Info.plist changes that enable
        > drag-and-drop.
        > That patch is also included in the tarball.

        Thanks. That will simplify my build process. I just got back from one
        trip, and am about to leave for another, so I may not have a chance to test this
        for another week or two. Note that the latest Make_osx.mak did not work well
        for me, so the one I have been using is an earlier version.

        > Peter Cucka
        > raindog@...

        Do you prefer to be addressed as Peter or as Rain Dog?

        --Benji Fisher
      • Rain Dog
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 15, 2002
          On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 03:29 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

          > Rain Dog wrote:
          >>
          >> I've taken the liberty of patching Taro Muraoka's Make_osx.mak
          >> with this change as well as the Info.plist changes that enable
          >> drag-and-drop.
          >
          > Note that the latest Make_osx.mak did not work well
          > for me, so the one I have been using is an earlier version.

          I had a problem linking if_perl, which I resolved by turning
          Perl support off with "env PERL=no make -f Make_osx.mak".
          If that doesn't help you too, you might want to consider,
          as someone suggested earlier, using pbxbuild instead of make.

          > Do you prefer to be addressed as Peter or as Rain Dog?

          Peter's fine.
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2002
            On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 06:29 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > Rain Dog wrote:
            >>
            >> Attached is a tarball containing a patch to gui_mac.c that
            >> addresses this.
            >> There was a problem with the way that Carbon "file references" were
            >> being
            >> converted into UNIX-style pathnames when the files in question didn't
            >> already exist.
            >>
            >> The resource file containing the dialog box template appears to be
            >> missing.
            >> If you've been building with make, adding a command like the following
            >> to the makefile should solve the problem:
            > [snip]
            >> If you've been using Project Builder, I'm stumped; it should take
            >> care of
            >> this for you.
            >
            > Yes, I have been using Muraoka Taro's Make_osx.mak . I have been
            > documenting how I build vim at
            > http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX/#Developers
            >
            >> I've taken the liberty of patching Taro Muraoka's Make_osx.mak
            >> (which hopefully can eventually make its way into the CVS repository)
            >> with this change as well as the Info.plist changes that enable
            >> drag-and-drop.
            >> That patch is also included in the tarball.
            >
            > Thanks. That will simplify my build process. I just got back
            > from one
            > trip, and am about to leave for another, so I may not have a chance to
            > test this
            > for another week or two. Note that the latest Make_osx.mak did not
            > work well
            > for me, so the one I have been using is an earlier version.

            Sorry, "a week or two" became more like four.

            I have tested the patch, and it seems to work. (Yay!) I can now do

            :browse saveas

            and actually write a file from the GUI file selector. Also,
            inputdialog() no longer crashes vim. (If you want to try this at home,
            you also have to reverse the part of Patch 6.1.076 that disables GUI
            dialogues, or wait until I post a more convenient patch.) Minor
            complaint: when I call inputdialog() with a default, as in

            echo inputdialog("foo", 3)

            the cursor in the dialogue box is positioned at the start of the default
            text. Can it be made to select the default text, or place the cursor at
            the end?

            I tried getting the source by CVS. It seemed to work, but when I
            tried to compile, I got linker errors. This may have something to do
            with the patch levels: I successfully compiled 6.1.100 with Peter's
            patches, failed to compile 6.1.171 (I think) obtained from CVS. To be
            continued...

            Other download issues: curl does not seem to be able to locate
            ftp.vim.org . (I am using /usr/bin/curl , which comes with OSX 10.1,
            version 7.7.2 .) I did use curl with a mirror
            (ftp.rge.com/pub/editors/vim) but it did not seem to process
            "6.1.[101-171]" as I expected from the man page. Any clues?

            Makefile gurus: how come when I patch feature.h (to enable GUI
            dialogues again) and recompile, it does not work? I suppose there is no
            feature.o ... can this be fixed?

            TODO (mine): test some more patches; update the instructions at
            http://macvim.swdev.org/OSX#Developers (and the bugs list); post patches
            and submit them to Bram; post a new binary. I may wait until Tuesday
            and upload the new binary when I have a faster connection.

            --Benji Fisher
          • ewitness - Ben Fowler
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 13, 2002
              At 5:08 pm -0400 13/9/02, Benji Fisher wrote:
              >[ ... ]
              > Sorry, "a week or two" became more like four.
              >
              > I have tested the patch, and it seems to work. (Yay!) I can now do
              >
              >:browse saveas
              >
              >and actually write a file from the GUI file selector. ...

              VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled 09/11/02 19:54:25)
              MacOS X (unix) version
              Included patches: 1-174

              For me :browse saveas operates the dialogue correctly, and handles
              the case of over-writing an existing file, but does not actually
              write the file. Also the prompt ':browse saveas' does not disappear.

              Ben

              Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 13, 2002
                ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:

                > At 5:08 pm -0400 13/9/02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                > >[ ... ]
                > > Sorry, "a week or two" became more like four.
                > >
                > > I have tested the patch, and it seems to work. (Yay!) I can now do
                > >
                > >:browse saveas
                > >
                > >and actually write a file from the GUI file selector. ...
                >
                > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled 09/11/02 19:54:25)
                > MacOS X (unix) version
                > Included patches: 1-174
                >
                > For me :browse saveas operates the dialogue correctly, and handles
                > the case of over-writing an existing file, but does not actually
                > write the file. Also the prompt ':browse saveas' does not disappear.

                If you want it to work, you have to include the patch that started this
                thread. In a few days, I will post a version of the patch on the web.

                --Benji Fisher
              • ewitness - Ben Fowler
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 13, 2002
                  At 8:26 pm -0400 13/9/02, Benji Fisher wrote:
                  >ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:
                  >[...]
                  > > For me :browse saveas operates the dialogue correctly, and handles
                  >> the case of over-writing an existing file, but does not actually
                  >> write the file. Also the prompt ':browse saveas' does not disappear.
                  >
                  > If you want it to work, you have to include the patch that started this
                  >thread. In a few days, I will post a version of the patch on the web.

                  Indeed.

                  I found the patch here:

                  It works as advertised.