Re: MacVim, LaTeX and Skim: a summary

  • d.avitabile@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2008
      Robin,

      I didn't know about the "Launch vim processes in a login shell" in
      the preferences. I selected and now everything works fine by me.
      Thanks!

    • Ted Pavlic
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
        > and forward searching seems to work fine with Skim (It's not perfect,
        > the red dot doesn't always end up in exactly the right place but its
        > normally the right paragraph).

        Note that this has less to do with Skim as it does with pdfsync.

        Pdfsync is meant to mirror the source specials that you get with DVI's.
        You can encode much more information with DVI source specials than you
        can with pdfsync (it's a fundamental difference between DVI's and
        PDF's). So, the positioning isn't going to be "ideal," but it at least
        gets you close.

        --Ted

        --
        Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

      • Ted Pavlic
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
          > I didn't know about the "Launch vim processes in a login shell" in
          > the preferences. I selected and now everything works fine by me.
          > Thanks!

          Did that fix your inverse searching problems (from Skim) too?

          If shift+command+click wasn't bringing you back into MacVim, I can't
          think of a reason why the "Launch processes" preference would have fixed
          that. Maybe there was a typo in your Skim prefs?

          --Ted
          --
          Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

        • Ted Pavlic
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
            > As Ted precious informations are scattered in many different places
            > (and in my case, I didn't manage to get them to work for inverse
            > search), my proposal is to gather as many informations as possible in
            > one single place about MacVim, Vim-LaTeX and Skim. I will be happy to
            > write a post or whatever else to facilitate LaTeX MacVim Leopard
            > users.

            This may help:

            http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/search/label/MacVim

            --Ted

            --
            Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

          • d.avitabile@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2008
              Hi Ted,

              yes, that fixed everything, and I haven't modified my skim preferences
              at all. Don't know what to say. Thanks also for the link. Now
              everything seems to work fine.

              Cheers.

              Daniele

              On Mar 3, 2:14 pm, Ted Pavlic <t...@...> wrote:
              > > I didn't know about the "Launch vim processes in a login shell"  in
              > > the preferences. I selected and now everything works fine by me.
              > > Thanks!
              >
              > Did that fix your inverse searching problems (from Skim) too?
              >
              > If shift+command+click wasn't bringing you back into MacVim, I can't
              > think of a reason why the "Launch processes" preference would have fixed
              > that. Maybe there was a typo in your Skim prefs?
              >
              > --Ted
              > --
              > Ted Pavlic <t...@...>
            • brettc
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
                Hi all,

                Slightly off-topic, but I find latexmk (rather than the build in Vim-
                LaTeX) very nice to use with MacVim and Skim. It has an option to
                watch all relevant files (bib files too!) and rebuilds whenever they
                change.

                I set Skim as my default viewer and put this in my ~/.latexmkrc
                $pdf_previewer = "open" ;
                $clean_ext = "paux lox pdfsync out" ;

                I start a shell with and issue:
                latexmk -pdf -pvc mydocument.tex in MacVim.

                Then I start editing mydocument.tex. Every time I save it, latexmk
                rebuilds it. So when I switch to it, it is already up to date...

                Look here for latexmk:
                http://www.phys.psu.edu/~collins/software/latexmk-jcc/

                Brett

                Daniele Avitabile wrote:
                > Hi everybody,
                > my configuartion: Mac OS 10.5.2, MacVim snapshot 22, visualising with Skim
                > 1.0.3. I've already read all the other topics about this matter, especially
                > the contributions from Ted Pavlic. Here is my report
                >
                > Compiling in LaTeX: the shorcut \ll for compilation does not work when the
                > .tex file MacVim is dragged/dropped from a MacVim.app instance or when it's
                > double-clicked. The same command does work when MacVim is launched from the
                > command line mvim. Ted Pavlic proposed an alternative mvim.app that, once
                > substituded to MacVim.app works fine. Any chance to make mvim.app to
                > substitute MacVim.app in the next snapshot? This is where to download
                > mvim.app <http://links.tedpavlic.com/zip/>
                >
                > http://links.tedpavlic.com/zip/
                >
                > Inverse search: I've followed the instructions given by Ted at
                > http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2007/12/pdfsync-inverse-searches-in-macvim.htmlIn
                > summary:
                >
                > 1. write a line \usepackage{pdfsync} in the latex file
                > 2. in Skim under Preferences>Sync choose Custom Preset, and then set
                > Command to mvim and Arguments to --remote-tab-silent +":%line;foldo!"
                > "%file"
                > 3. Shift+Command+Click in Skim and it will jump back to the
                > corresponding line in the source file.
                >
                > This doesn't work at all for me. Any ideas why?
                >
                > Forward search: Ted seems to have a patch for this as well, which I haven't
                > tried yet.
                >
                > As Ted precious informations are scattered in many different places (and in
                > my case, I didn't manage to get them to work for inverse search), my
                > proposal is to gather as many informations as possible in one single place
                > about MacVim, Vim-LaTeX and Skim. I will be happy to write a post or
                > whatever else to facilitate LaTeX MacVim Leopard users.
                >
                > Does any of the previous things (Compilation, Forward Search, Inverse
                > Search) work for you?
                >
                > Best.
                >
                > Daniele
              • Ted Pavlic
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
                  Decent point (if you want to build *every* time).

                  That being said, also note that Vim-LaTeX's build will run bibtex as
                  needed. In fact, I *believe* that with the patches mentioned in the
                  links below, it will even rebuild with makeindex/makeglossary/etc.
                  (though that may just be in my personal copy).

                  --Ted

                  --
                  Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

                • Ted Pavlic
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
                    I want to add two additional important notes about using Vim-LaTeX (and
                    Vim 7):

                    http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2008/03/vim-latex-vim-70-and-filetype-plugin.html

                    http://phaseportrait.blogspot.com/2008/03/fixing-vim-latex-compiler-error.html

                    If your Vim-LaTeX is not activating when you open .tex files, see the
                    first link. If compiler errors keep opening the WRONG file, see the
                    second link.

                    --Ted

                    --
                    Ted Pavlic <ted@...>

                  • d.avitabile@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2008
                      Great! Thanks

                    • d.avitabile@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 11, 2008
                        Hi everybody,

                        my configuration of Vim+Vim-LaTeX+Skim on Leopard doesn't seem to be
                        particularly robust. As reported previously, I managed for one day to
                        obtain forward and inverse search, but now both features seem to be
                        inactive again. I honestly do not know what's wrong. Here is a
                        summary:

                        MacVim 7.1(23): yes, I have the new snapshot installed, but the
                        forward/inverse search wouldn't work with snapshot 22 either. I have
                        "Launch Vim processes in a login shell" enabled in my preferences.

                        Vim-LaTeX suite: it is installed in my .vim folder, as instructed on
                        Vim-LaTeX website. I write my Vim-LaTeX related settings in .vim/
                        ftplugin/tex.vim, as stated in the documentation. Here is my tex.vim
                        file

                        let g:Tex_DefaultTargetFormat = 'pdf'

                        let g:Tex_CompileRule_dvi = 'latex --interaction=nonstopmode $*'
                        let g:Tex_CompileRule_ps = 'dvips -Pwww -o $*.ps $*.dvi'
                        let g:Tex_CompileRule_pspdf = 'ps2pdf $*.ps'
                        let g:Tex_CompileRule_dvipdf = 'dvipdfm $*.dvi'
                        let g:Tex_CompileRule_pdf = 'pdflatex $*'

                        let g:Tex_ViewRule_dvi = 'texniscope'
                        let g:Tex_ViewRule_ps = 'Preview'
                        let g:Tex_ViewRule_pdf = 'Skim'

                        let g:Tex_FormatDependency_ps = 'dvi,ps'
                        let g:Tex_FormatDependency_pspdf = 'dvi,ps,pspdf'
                        let g:Tex_FormatDependency_dvipdf = 'dvi,dvipdf'

                        let g:Tex_IgnoredWarnings ='
                        \"Underfull\n".
                        \"Overfull\n".
                        \"specifier changed to\n".
                        \"You have requested\n".
                        \"Missing number, treated as zero.\n".
                        \"There were undefined references\n".
                        \"Citation %.%# undefined\n".
                        \"\oval, \circle, or \line size unavailable\n"'

                        Skim: in preferences>sync I have
                        Preset: custom
                        Command: mvim
                        Arguments: --remote-silent +":%line;foldo!" "%file"

                        When I Shift+Command+Click from Skim nothing happens. When I \ls from
                        MacVim, I can see a :call Tex_ForwardSearchLaTeX appear, but nothing
                        more. No red spots, nothing.

                        Can you spot something I've done wrong? If you have a successfull
                        forward/inverse search from skim, can you please tell me where you
                        install vim-latex and your setttings? Also, do you need any further
                        informations from me? So far I have seen the search tool working only
                        for one moment on my computer...

                        Best.

                        Daniele

                      • d.avitabile@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 11, 2008
                          I am really sorry to have bothered with such a stupid thing. In my new
                          document I had indeed forgotten to load pdfsync.

                          Everything works fine with the settings I have posted above.

                          Sorry again.

                          Daniele