This message sent to Steve Jobs at Apple

  • bedney
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 29, 2008
      Folks -

      I just posted the following email to Steve Jobs over at Apple. We'll
      see if I get a response. I has happened before.

      I highly recommend that no one else does this, at least for now. Let's
      not bombard him with emails. Let's see if this gets some action first:

      Steve -

      Bjorn Winckler has been doing a beautiful port of the Unix 'vim'
      editor to Mac OS X. Many of us developers use it on a daily basis.

      http://code.google.com/p/macvim/

      This is an all-volunteer effort on his part and its now been halted by
      the fact that the iBook he was working on has given up the ghost.

      Considering the ever-growing number of Macs I see at developer's
      conferences, the Mac has become *the* developer's platform-of-choice.
      Many of us use vim. I think having a great port of vim to the Mac is
      essential.

      A PayPal collection to get him a new Mac is underway, but we're only
      1/3 of the way there. Is there a way that Apple could give this guy a
      new Mac or at least give him a discount on one? We need to get him
      back to work. He lives in Sweden.

      His email address is: bjorn.winckler@...

      Cheers,

      - Bill (an old-time NextStepper from the 0.8 days :-) )

    • travis
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 29, 2008
        I expect you'll be waiting for that email from Steve Jobs for a very
        long time.

        On Feb 29, 4:46 pm, bedney <tpurs...@...> wrote:
        > Folks -
        >
        > I just posted the following email to Steve Jobs over at Apple. We'll
        > see if I get a response. I has happened before.
        >
        > I highly recommend that no one else does this, at least for now. Let's
        > not bombard him with emails. Let's see if this gets some action first:

        > Steve -
        >
        > Bjorn Winckler has been doing a beautiful port of the Unix 'vim'
        > editor to Mac OS X. Many of us developers use it on a daily basis.
        >
        > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
        >
        > This is an all-volunteer effort on his part and its now been halted by
        > the fact that the iBook he was working on has given up the ghost.
        >
        > Considering the ever-growing number of Macs I see at developer's
        > conferences, the Mac has become *the* developer's platform-of-choice.
        > Many of us use vim. I think having a great port of vim to the Mac is
        > essential.
        >
        > A PayPal collection to get him a new Mac is underway, but we're only
        > 1/3 of the way there. Is there a way that Apple could give this guy a
        > new Mac or at least give him a discount on one? We need to get him
        > back to work. He lives in Sweden.
        >
        > His email address is: bjorn.winck...@...
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > - Bill (an old-time NextStepper from the 0.8 days :-) )

      • Morel David
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
          Le 1 mars 08 à 08:33, travis a écrit :

          > I expect you'll be waiting for that email from Steve Jobs for a very
          > long time.

          Not true, there are good indications he actually reads those.

          David

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
            On 29/02/2008, bedney <tpursuit@...> wrote:

            > Folks -
            >
            > I just posted the following email to Steve Jobs over at Apple. We'll
            > see if I get a response. I has happened before.
            >
            > I highly recommend that no one else does this, at least for now. Let's
            > not bombard him with emails. Let's see if this gets some action first:

            > Steve -
            >
            > Bjorn Winckler has been doing a beautiful port of the Unix 'vim'
            > editor to Mac OS X. Many of us developers use it on a daily basis.
            >
            > http://code.google.com/p/macvim/
            >
            > This is an all-volunteer effort on his part and its now been halted by
            > the fact that the iBook he was working on has given up the ghost.
            >
            > Considering the ever-growing number of Macs I see at developer's
            > conferences, the Mac has become *the* developer's platform-of-choice.
            > Many of us use vim. I think having a great port of vim to the Mac is
            > essential.
            >
            > A PayPal collection to get him a new Mac is underway, but we're only
            > 1/3 of the way there. Is there a way that Apple could give this guy a
            > new Mac or at least give him a discount on one? We need to get him
            > back to work. He lives in Sweden.
            >
            > His email address is: bjorn.winckler@...
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > - Bill (an old-time NextStepper from the 0.8 days :-) )

            Bill, I appreciate the gesture...whether there is a reply or not.

            Thanks again to everybody who has donated so far. Currently, the
            donations fund covers about 37% of the cost of a MacBook Pro...that's
            a lot more than I ever expected! I've received about 40 donations so
            I am still hoping that a few more donations will trickle in (for
            comparison, the latest snapshot has been downloaded about 3100 times).
            In any case, things are looking very good. :-)

            /Björn