Prefs work

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 29, 2008

      the attached patch improves the Integration pane in the following ways:

      * If the input manager is installed and no ODBEditor was yet selected,
      MacVim is selected automatically. That saves one click in the common
      case.
      * The list of editors is sorted alphabetically (instead of randomly)
      * The current pane of the prefs dialog is remembered even if you close
      MacVim
      * Code is slightly cleaner

      Stuff I still want to do:
      * Compare bundle versions of installed input man and input man in
      MacVim and suggest update only if MacVim includes a new one
      * Probably move most of the new code to a new class
      ODBBundleInstaller? This would keep MMPreferences cleaner
      * Add a real GUI. Duh.

      Nico

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 29, 2008
        > the attached patch improves the Integration pane in the following
        > ways:

        Ooops, that included the old patch as well. Here's a zip with only the
        new stuff.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
          On 29/02/2008, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > the attached patch improves the Integration pane in the following ways:
          >
          > * If the input manager is installed and no ODBEditor was yet selected,
          > MacVim is selected automatically. That saves one click in the common
          > case.
          > * The list of editors is sorted alphabetically (instead of randomly)
          > * The current pane of the prefs dialog is remembered even if you close
          > MacVim
          > * Code is slightly cleaner

          I've merged and pushed your changes.

          > Stuff I still want to do:
          > * Compare bundle versions of installed input man and input man in
          > MacVim and suggest update only if MacVim includes a new one

          I guess that is not too urgent since we're not likely to update the
          input manager very often, but it would still be nice I guess.

          > * Probably move most of the new code to a new class
          > ODBBundleInstaller? This would keep MMPreferences cleaner

          I don't think that is necessary. If the prefs class gets overcrowded
          in the future then maybe we could do that, but I think you should
          leave it as it is for now.

          > * Add a real GUI. Duh.

          Hadn't noticed. Honest. :-P

          Thanks for the patch,

        • Nico Weber
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008

            this adds version checking to the integraton prefpane (this works iff
            the output of the test program I just sent produces the same output on
            Tiger as it does on Matrix' machine).

            Nico

            ps: This means only the GUI is left. If someone wants to take a shot
            at it feel welcome -- it's quite easy, you only have to move stuff
            around in Interface Builder and write some text. The text should say
            something like

            'this adds an "Edit in External Editor" menu command to (nearly)
            all apps. It can make these apps unstable (but usually won't and you
            can uninstall this without problems). Changes you make to the editor
            dropdown are only valid in apps you start after you change your
            editor; you have to restart running apps. You should also restart
            running apps after updating this to a new version.'

            -- just with less words ;-)

            I'll give it a shot myself tomorrow.

            Bye,
            Nico

            ps: Bjorn, can you bump the version of the ODBEdior bundle to 1.1? I
            modified it a bit when I added it (it was a separate commit in the zip).

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
              On 01/03/2008, Nico Weber <nicolasweber@...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > this adds version checking to the integraton prefpane (this works iff
              > the output of the test program I just sent produces the same output on
              > Tiger as it does on Matrix' machine).
              >
              > Nico
              >
              > ps: This means only the GUI is left. If someone wants to take a shot
              > at it feel welcome -- it's quite easy, you only have to move stuff
              > around in Interface Builder and write some text. The text should say
              > something like
              >
              > 'this adds an "Edit in External Editor" menu command to (nearly)
              > all apps. It can make these apps unstable (but usually won't and you
              > can uninstall this without problems). Changes you make to the editor
              > dropdown are only valid in apps you start after you change your
              > editor; you have to restart running apps. You should also restart
              > running apps after updating this to a new version.'
              >
              > -- just with less words ;-)
              >
              > I'll give it a shot myself tomorrow.

              You've done a good job with the prefs GUI stuff so far so I'll
              patiently await your patch. :-)

              > Bye,
              > Nico
              >
              > ps: Bjorn, can you bump the version of the ODBEdior bundle to 1.1? I
              > modified it a bit when I added it (it was a separate commit in the zip).

              Done. Your patch + the new bundle version is in the public repo.

              Thanks for the patch,