Re: MacVim - one version? cvs?

  • Gregory Seidman
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 26, 2002
      Benji Fisher sez: [...]
      [...]
      } For OS X, there are two GUI's that we want to support: the native one
      } (Aqua?) and also X11 (XDarwin). I will be surprised if it is easy to get
      } a single binary that supports both GUI's. We could just say that
      } "XDarwin is another flavor of Unix, and Unix geeks should compile their
      } own version," but I think there are many OS X users who appreciate having
      } a convenient package.

      Is it currently possible to have more than one X11 GUI? For example, can
      one configure vim to use both GTK and Athena and differentiate between them
      on the commandline? If so, I have high hopes that the same could be done
      for Aqua.

      } Maybe I am missing the point. How many versions of MacVim are there? I
      } think the main ones are mine (OS X Carbon), Axel Kielhorn's (Classic:
      } PPC and 68k) and Marc Liyanage's (OS X Terminal/X11). I guess there are
      } also some versions with more support for Asian languages; Muraoka Taro is
      } working on integrating this into the OS X Carbon version, at least. Am I
      } missing some, or is this already too much?

      Marc Liyanage's version is just a package of a build from CVS. The CVS
      code configures, compiles, and installs flawlessly on MacOS X. I've done
      it.

      } --Benji Fisher
      --Greg
    • Phil Dobbin
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
        On 26/7/02 at 19:52, gss+vim@... (Gregory Seidman) wrote:

        [snip]

        > Marc Liyanage's version is just a package of a build from CVS. The CVS
        > code configures, compiles, and installs flawlessly on MacOS X. I've
        > done
        > it

        This is the only version of Vim I use and it's excellent.

        Regards,

        Phil.
      • Gregory Seidman
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
          Phil Dobbin sez:
          } On 26/7/02 at 19:52, gss+vim@... (Gregory Seidman) wrote:
          }
          } [snip]
          }
          } > Marc Liyanage's version is just a package of a build from CVS. The CVS
          } > code configures, compiles, and installs flawlessly on MacOS X. I've
          } > done
          } > it
          }
          } This is the only version of Vim I use and it's excellent.

          This is the primary version of vim that I use, since I spend much of my
          time in XDarwin. It will probably be the primary version I use unless
          and until vim supports multiple frames (i.e. not windows in a system
          window, but multiple system windows). Still, I do like to have a version
          that acts like an app on MacOS X.

          } Regards,
          } Phil.
          --Greg
        • Dany St-Amant
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002

            I have been away from the Vim code for a while, but here's the
            "different" version of Vim for MacOS (excluding the selection
            of feature such as huge, big, perl, tcl, etc)

            -Classic MacOS (in three possible version 68k, FAT, PPC)
            [This version is mainly for pre-MacOS X, but work on MacOS X]
            [The classic is the only version which could be made to work
            on older Mac as far as (wild guess) System 7]

            -Carbon MacOS standard
            [This version work only on MacOS 9 and MacOS X]
            [This a dirrect carbonization of the Classic version]

            -Carbon MacOS X
            [This version only work on MacOS X]
            [It use the more friendly Unix pathname, and support shell]
            [Can work without the GUI, i.e.: In a Terminal window]

            -Cocoa MacOS X
            [Not yet available, not sure if it will ever be]

            -Unix Version (guiless, with Athena, GTK, etc.)
            [Same as any other Un*x]
            [Only version which currently support all Vim's feature]

            #defines already exit to select the proper version.
            (It was the case one year ago, i'll need to take a closer look).
            gui_mac.c contains the code of both Carbon and Classic versions,
            with the proper #ifdef. And os_unix.c is used by the Carbon X
            version to avoid cloning code.

            There's probably a way of unifying both Carbon version into on
            single binary with yet another option in Vim, but this will
            prevent the code from compiling on pre-MacOS X.

            Unification of the Carbon standard and Classic version, could be
            potentially made, but all shareware/freeware developer always
            provide two separate binaries; so there must be a reason.

            Dany
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
              On Friday, July 26, 2002, at 07:52 PM, Gregory Seidman wrote:

              > Is it currently possible to have more than one X11 GUI? For example, can
              > one configure vim to use both GTK and Athena and differentiate between
              > them
              > on the commandline? If so, I have high hopes that the same could be done
              > for Aqua.

              I do not know, but I am guessing that GTK + Athena is not
              possible. If my guess is wrong, then I agree that Aqua + XDarwin should
              also be possible.

              > Marc Liyanage's version is just a package of a build from CVS. The CVS
              > code configures, compiles, and installs flawlessly on MacOS X. I've done
              > it.

              The Carbon (OSX) version is also from the standard sources; I think
              that the Classic version is, too. There are often a few patches
              floating around, but as soon as the bugs get worked out, we send them to
              Bram and they become part of the official distribution.

              --Benji Fisher
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
                Dany:

                On Saturday, July 27, 2002, at 09:10 AM, Dany St-Amant wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I have been away from the Vim code for a while, but here's the
                > "different" version of Vim for MacOS (excluding the selection
                > of feature such as huge, big, perl, tcl, etc)

                Welcome back. We have missed you!

                > -Classic MacOS (in three possible version 68k, FAT, PPC)
                > [This version is mainly for pre-MacOS X, but work on MacOS X]
                > [The classic is the only version which could be made to work
                > on older Mac as far as (wild guess) System 7]
                >
                > -Carbon MacOS standard
                > [This version work only on MacOS 9 and MacOS X]
                > [This a dirrect carbonization of the Classic version]
                >
                > -Carbon MacOS X
                > [This version only work on MacOS X]
                > [It use the more friendly Unix pathname, and support shell]
                > [Can work without the GUI, i.e.: In a Terminal window]
                >
                > -Cocoa MacOS X
                > [Not yet available, not sure if it will ever be]
                >
                > -Unix Version (guiless, with Athena, GTK, etc.)
                > [Same as any other Un*x]
                > [Only version which currently support all Vim's feature]
                >
                > #defines already exit to select the proper version.

                Thanks for the summary. What are the #defines for each of the
                versions?

                --Benji Fisher
              • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
                  At 23:32 Uhr -0400 2002-07-25, Benji Fisher wrote:

                  > First a disclaimer: I know nothing about programming for any sort of Mac
                  >(or any other GUI). I can apply patches and run make; I can fiddle
                  >with system
                  >vimrc files; and I can add or delete the occasional #ifdef (but that
                  >is already
                  >getting risky). I maintain binaries for OS X, but it is a stretch
                  >to call me a
                  >developer. AFAIK the only active developers are Axel Kielhorn
                  >(mostly Classic)
                  >and Muraoka Taro (mostly OS X).
                  >
                  > In principle, there should be a Carbon vim that works on OS 8/9
                  >as well as
                  >OS X. If it were easy, I think that Axel would have done it by now.

                  My compiler ist too old to create Carbon code. And I don't want to
                  buy a new Codewarrior for Classic since I plan to change to MacOS X
                  soon.

                  > I suppose
                  >(by packaging separate binaries and calling it a single program) it could even
                  >run on both CPU families.

                  It is possible and I have done it once, but what is the advantage?
                  Using a fat binary is a good idea when you can share a lot of
                  resources (icons, menus) but that isn't the case with Vim. All the
                  resources are stored in the runtime tree which is already shared. (It
                  requieres some code to make Vim68small happy, but since I didn't get
                  any feedback on that one I will not dig into that.)

                  > Maybe I am missing the point. How many versions of MacVim are there? I
                  >think the main ones are mine (OS X Carbon), Axel Kielhorn's (Classic: PPC and
                  >68k) and Marc Liyanage's (OS X Terminal/X11). I guess there are also some
                  >versions with more support for Asian languages; Muraoka Taro is working on
                  >integrating this into the OS X Carbon version, at least.

                  This should be standard for OS X. Kenichi Asai asked me about support
                  for multibyte characters on Vim 5.8 Classic, multibyte is already
                  enabled for 6.1. (But I don't use it since I can't figure out how to
                  set Osaka-Mono as my guifont.)

                  I tried Muraoka Taros TEC support for Classic but ran into a lot of
                  compiler errors. These should be fixable but requiere some time.
                  Nevertheless, TEC support for Vim Classic would be great.

                  > Am I missing some, or
                  >is this already too much?

                  You can compile Vim with MPW for Classic and Carbon. But since some
                  functions are missing in the Apple libraries this version is not
                  usable. AFAIK these versions are not available in binary form.

                  Axel
                • Bram Moolenaar
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
                    Dany St-Amant wrote:

                    > I have been away from the Vim code for a while, but here's the
                    > "different" version of Vim for MacOS (excluding the selection
                    > of feature such as huge, big, perl, tcl, etc)

                    Does this summarize the same info as what's found at:

                    http://vim.sourceforge.net/new/download.php#mac

                    If not, please suggest how to update this.

                    - Bram

                    48. You get a tatoo that says "This body best viewed with Netscape 3.1 or
                    higher."