Re: MacVim possibly causing the machine to freeze

  • Niklas Lindström
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2008
      Hi!

      This is interesting.. Although I cannot help much to find the root
      cause, I have experienced the same (or a similar) problem. I never
      attributed it to MacVim though, I more suspected Virtue Desktops..
      (possibly in a strange conjunction with Firefox, since quitting it
      quite invariably kills Virtue forcing me to re-launch it).

      I run Tiger (10.4.11 now, but the freeze has occurred rarely but for
      many months). Same thing happens: *nothing* in the GUI is responsive,
      save moving the pointer and closing the lid for sleep/wakeup. In my
      case, no keyboard command has any effect either (not even
      Cmd-Opt-Esc). Originally it seemed to happen when I Cmd-tabbed, but
      I've since experienced it when e.g. activating/moving windows (any,
      not specifically MacVim IIRC). It happens *very* rareley though --
      sometimes weeks (maybe even months) apart.

      I have also thought about a hardware problem (I have a 1 gen. MacBook
      Pro), but the problem is maybe a bit too consistent and not bound to
      e.g. pounding the keyboard at a location of a weak circuit.. ;] Note
      also that I've always been able to ssh to my machine and e.g. do a
      shutdown.

      My very uninformed idea is that it *isn't* MacVim-related (as
      mentioned above concerning Virtue, which does some surgery to the Dock
      runtime I think); but I'll keep it in mind just in case I detect some
      kind of pattern (and if it happens again I'll try ssh:ing and e.g.
      kill:ing MacVim just to see what happens). If I weren't so addicted to
      MacVim I'd run without it just to exclude it from possible suspects;
      but I can't really let go of it right now.. ;)

      I suspect telling this isn't much help at all, but perhaps someone may
      recognize and realize something I cannot think of.

      Best regards,
      Niklas