Re: MacVim - one version? cvs?

  • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 24, 2002
      At 17:35 Uhr +0200 2002-07-23, Sven Guckes wrote:

      >as long as there are three different
      >versions of MacVim this takes a good
      >naming scheme for the uploaded binaries.
      >
      >personally, i'd favor *one* version - and
      collaboration via CVS. is this possible?

      The problem is that we have different binary versions. Don't forget
      that the difference between MacOS Classic and MacOS X is larger than
      the difference between Windows 3.1 and WindowsXP and that we have to
      support two different CPUs.

      The source is already the same for all versions (modulo some small
      local changes).

      Axel
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 24, 2002
        On Wednesday, July 24, 2002, at 05:13 AM, Matthias Bertschy wrote:

        > I just received the same email from Apple... I'm quite disapointed by
        > that.
        > I'm also embarassed by the fact that if I want to keep my free email
        > adress @... I should be first a member of .Mac (therefor I'll have
        > to pay).
        > Does anyone has a solution ?
        >
        > By the way, I use a regular version of Vim 6.0 on the terminal. Unlike
        > on the Linux OS, I can't have the colors when I type :synon, instead I
        > have some odd bold and underlined words. I am not a hacker of the
        > Terminal, so if anyone knows the problem...
        > I'll try the OSX version from fisherbb, thank you !
        >
        > Matthias Bertschy

        While you are at it, read the FAQ on my page. You are not the
        first to ask for colors in a Terminal window!

        http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/index.html

        HTH --Benji Fisher

        P.S. I normally do not use my mac.com e-mail address, which is why I am
        the last one to know that the URL above will have to change soon...
      • Sven Guckes
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 24, 2002
          * Matthias Bertschy <matthiasbertschy@...> [2002-07-24 09:13]:
          > I just received the same email from
          > Apple... I'm quite disapointed by that.
          > I'm also embarassed by the fact that
          > if I want to keep my free email adress
          > @... I should be first a member of
          > .Mac (therefor I'll have to pay).
          > Does anyone has a solution ?

          dump the mac.com address. get another.
          if apple wanted to pay you for supporting it
          then it will tell you so. but if they want you
          to pay for advertising "mac.com" on the net,
          well, then it is time to find a new sponsor.

          Svens [waiting for M$ to but apple, anyway]
        • Matthias Bertschy
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 24, 2002
            Yes, you are right... maybe an email like user@... will suit me.

            Matthias Bertschy

            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 24, 2002
              * Matthias Bertschy <matthiasbertschy@...> [2002-07-24 20:45]:
              > Yes, you are right... maybe an email like user@... will suit me.

              vim.org is not an email address provider.

              Sven
            • Eugene Lee
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 25, 2002
                : >
                :
                : The problem is that we have different binary versions. Don't forget
                : that the difference between MacOS Classic and MacOS X is larger than
                : the difference between Windows 3.1 and WindowsXP and that we have to
                : support two different CPUs.
                :
                : The source is already the same for all versions (modulo some small
                : local changes).

                If the source is identical and building different binaries is a matter
                of different #define's, then the only limit to collaboration via CVS is
                the organizational skills between the core developers.

                --
                Eugene Lee
                eugene@...
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 25, 2002
                  * Eugene Lee <eugene@...> [2002-07-25 18:32]:
                  > Jul 24, 2002 at 04:08, Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn) wrote:
                  > : At 17:35 Uhr +0200 2002-07-23, Sven Guckes wrote:
                  > : >personally, i'd favor *one* version - and
                  > : >collaboration via CVS. is this possible?
                  > :
                  > : The problem is that we have different binary versions. Don't
                  > : forget that the difference between MacOS Classic and MacOS X
                  > : is larger than the difference between Windows 3.1 and
                  > : WindowsXP and that we have to support two different CPUs.
                  > :
                  > : The source is already the same for all
                  > : versions (modulo some small local changes).
                  >
                  > If the source is identical and building different
                  > binaries is a matter of different #define's, then
                  > the only limit to collaboration via CVS is the
                  > organizational skills between the core developers.

                  my words. then again, i do not know how difficult
                  it will be to add a lot of #defines to the code.

                  i am all in favor for to provide
                  *one* MacVIm for each CPU again.

                  does it make sense to modularize
                  the code for the different CPUs?

                  Sven
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 25, 2002
                    Sven Guckes wrote:

                    > * Eugene Lee <eugene@...> [2002-07-25 18:32]:
                    > > Jul 24, 2002 at 04:08, Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn) wrote:
                    > > : At 17:35 Uhr +0200 2002-07-23, Sven Guckes wrote:
                    > > : >personally, i'd favor *one* version - and
                    > > : >collaboration via CVS. is this possible?
                    > > :
                    > > : The problem is that we have different binary versions. Don't
                    > > : forget that the difference between MacOS Classic and MacOS X
                    > > : is larger than the difference between Windows 3.1 and
                    > > : WindowsXP and that we have to support two different CPUs.
                    > > :
                    > > : The source is already the same for all
                    > > : versions (modulo some small local changes).
                    > >
                    > > If the source is identical and building different
                    > > binaries is a matter of different #define's, then
                    > > the only limit to collaboration via CVS is the
                    > > organizational skills between the core developers.
                    >
                    > my words. then again, i do not know how difficult
                    > it will be to add a lot of #defines to the code.
                    >
                    > i am all in favor for to provide
                    > *one* MacVIm for each CPU again.
                    >
                    > does it make sense to modularize
                    > the code for the different CPUs?
                    >
                    > Sven

                    First a disclaimer: I know nothing about programming for any sort of Mac
                    (or any other GUI). I can apply patches and run make; I can fiddle with system
                    vimrc files; and I can add or delete the occasional #ifdef (but that is already
                    getting risky). I maintain binaries for OS X, but it is a stretch to call me a
                    developer. AFAIK the only active developers are Axel Kielhorn (mostly Classic)
                    and Muraoka Taro (mostly OS X).

                    In principle, there should be a Carbon vim that works on OS 8/9 as well as
                    OS X. If it were easy, I think that Axel would have done it by now. I suppose
                    (by packaging separate binaries and calling it a single program) it could even
                    run on both CPU families.

                    For OS X, there are two GUI's that we want to support: the native one
                    (Aqua?) and also X11 (XDarwin). I will be surprised if it is easy to get a
                    single binary that supports both GUI's. We could just say that "XDarwin is
                    another flavor of Unix, and Unix geeks should compile their own version," but I
                    think there are many OS X users who appreciate having a convenient package.

                    Maybe I am missing the point. How many versions of MacVim are there? I
                    think the main ones are mine (OS X Carbon), Axel Kielhorn's (Classic: PPC and
                    68k) and Marc Liyanage's (OS X Terminal/X11). I guess there are also some
                    versions with more support for Asian languages; Muraoka Taro is working on
                    integrating this into the OS X Carbon version, at least. Am I missing some, or
                    is this already too much?

                    --Benji Fisher
                  • Eugene Lee
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 25, 2002
                      On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:32:24PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
                      :
                      : First a disclaimer: I know nothing about programming for any sort
                      : of Mac (or any other GUI). I can apply patches and run make; I can
                      : fiddle with system vimrc files; and I can add or delete the occasional
                      : #ifdef (but that is already getting risky). I maintain binaries for OS
                      : X, but it is a stretch to call me a developer. AFAIK the only active
                      : developers are Axel Kielhorn (mostly Classic) and Muraoka Taro (mostly
                      : OS X).

                      I'm about this level too. I have a basic understanding of C, but it's
                      definitely not my strongest suit (trying to find a little time to learn
                      Objective C).

                      : Maybe I am missing the point. How many versions of MacVim are
                      : there? I think the main ones are mine (OS X Carbon), Axel Kielhorn's
                      : (Classic: PPC and 68k) and Marc Liyanage's (OS X Terminal/X11).
                      : I guess there are also some versions with more support for Asian
                      : languages; Muraoka Taro is working on integrating this into the OS X
                      : Carbon version, at least. Am I missing some, or is this already too
                      : much?

                      I thought the original idea was to have the flexibility to be able to
                      compile different binaries from the same CVS repository. Apologies if
                      this isn't the original idea and I've gone overboard. I don't know how
                      hard this will be to merge all the different "distributions" into a
                      single source tree. But I figure if it can be done with Apache for a
                      dozen different platforms, it's not impossible for MacVim --- but it
                      will require lots of effort to sort through all the diffs.

                      --
                      Eugene Lee
                      eugene@...
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 26, 2002
                        Benji Fisher sez: [...]
                        [...]
                        } For OS X, there are two GUI's that we want to support: the native one
                        } (Aqua?) and also X11 (XDarwin). I will be surprised if it is easy to get
                        } a single binary that supports both GUI's. We could just say that
                        } "XDarwin is another flavor of Unix, and Unix geeks should compile their
                        } own version," but I think there are many OS X users who appreciate having
                        } a convenient package.

                        Is it currently possible to have more than one X11 GUI? For example, can
                        one configure vim to use both GTK and Athena and differentiate between them
                        on the commandline? If so, I have high hopes that the same could be done
                        for Aqua.

                        } Maybe I am missing the point. How many versions of MacVim are there? I
                        } think the main ones are mine (OS X Carbon), Axel Kielhorn's (Classic:
                        } PPC and 68k) and Marc Liyanage's (OS X Terminal/X11). I guess there are
                        } also some versions with more support for Asian languages; Muraoka Taro is
                        } working on integrating this into the OS X Carbon version, at least. Am I
                        } missing some, or is this already too much?

                        Marc Liyanage's version is just a package of a build from CVS. The CVS
                        code configures, compiles, and installs flawlessly on MacOS X. I've done
                        it.

                        } --Benji Fisher
                        --Greg
                      • Phil Dobbin
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
                          On 26/7/02 at 19:52, gss+vim@... (Gregory Seidman) wrote:

                          [snip]

                          > Marc Liyanage's version is just a package of a build from CVS. The CVS
                          > code configures, compiles, and installs flawlessly on MacOS X. I've
                          > done
                          > it

                          This is the only version of Vim I use and it's excellent.

                          Regards,

                          Phil.
                        • Gregory Seidman
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
                            Phil Dobbin sez:
                            } On 26/7/02 at 19:52, gss+vim@... (Gregory Seidman) wrote:
                            }
                            } [snip]
                            }
                            } > Marc Liyanage's version is just a package of a build from CVS. The CVS
                            } > code configures, compiles, and installs flawlessly on MacOS X. I've
                            } > done
                            } > it
                            }
                            } This is the only version of Vim I use and it's excellent.

                            This is the primary version of vim that I use, since I spend much of my
                            time in XDarwin. It will probably be the primary version I use unless
                            and until vim supports multiple frames (i.e. not windows in a system
                            window, but multiple system windows). Still, I do like to have a version
                            that acts like an app on MacOS X.

                            } Regards,
                            } Phil.
                            --Greg
                          • Dany St-Amant
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002

                              I have been away from the Vim code for a while, but here's the
                              "different" version of Vim for MacOS (excluding the selection
                              of feature such as huge, big, perl, tcl, etc)

                              -Classic MacOS (in three possible version 68k, FAT, PPC)
                              [This version is mainly for pre-MacOS X, but work on MacOS X]
                              [The classic is the only version which could be made to work
                              on older Mac as far as (wild guess) System 7]

                              -Carbon MacOS standard
                              [This version work only on MacOS 9 and MacOS X]
                              [This a dirrect carbonization of the Classic version]

                              -Carbon MacOS X
                              [This version only work on MacOS X]
                              [It use the more friendly Unix pathname, and support shell]
                              [Can work without the GUI, i.e.: In a Terminal window]

                              -Cocoa MacOS X
                              [Not yet available, not sure if it will ever be]

                              -Unix Version (guiless, with Athena, GTK, etc.)
                              [Same as any other Un*x]
                              [Only version which currently support all Vim's feature]

                              #defines already exit to select the proper version.
                              (It was the case one year ago, i'll need to take a closer look).
                              gui_mac.c contains the code of both Carbon and Classic versions,
                              with the proper #ifdef. And os_unix.c is used by the Carbon X
                              version to avoid cloning code.

                              There's probably a way of unifying both Carbon version into on
                              single binary with yet another option in Vim, but this will
                              prevent the code from compiling on pre-MacOS X.

                              Unification of the Carbon standard and Classic version, could be
                              potentially made, but all shareware/freeware developer always
                              provide two separate binaries; so there must be a reason.

                              Dany
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
                                On Friday, July 26, 2002, at 07:52 PM, Gregory Seidman wrote:

                                > Is it currently possible to have more than one X11 GUI? For example, can
                                > one configure vim to use both GTK and Athena and differentiate between
                                > them
                                > on the commandline? If so, I have high hopes that the same could be done
                                > for Aqua.

                                I do not know, but I am guessing that GTK + Athena is not
                                possible. If my guess is wrong, then I agree that Aqua + XDarwin should
                                also be possible.

                                > Marc Liyanage's version is just a package of a build from CVS. The CVS
                                > code configures, compiles, and installs flawlessly on MacOS X. I've done
                                > it.

                                The Carbon (OSX) version is also from the standard sources; I think
                                that the Classic version is, too. There are often a few patches
                                floating around, but as soon as the bugs get worked out, we send them to
                                Bram and they become part of the official distribution.

                                --Benji Fisher
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
                                  Dany:

                                  On Saturday, July 27, 2002, at 09:10 AM, Dany St-Amant wrote:

                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > I have been away from the Vim code for a while, but here's the
                                  > "different" version of Vim for MacOS (excluding the selection
                                  > of feature such as huge, big, perl, tcl, etc)

                                  Welcome back. We have missed you!

                                  > -Classic MacOS (in three possible version 68k, FAT, PPC)
                                  > [This version is mainly for pre-MacOS X, but work on MacOS X]
                                  > [The classic is the only version which could be made to work
                                  > on older Mac as far as (wild guess) System 7]
                                  >
                                  > -Carbon MacOS standard
                                  > [This version work only on MacOS 9 and MacOS X]
                                  > [This a dirrect carbonization of the Classic version]
                                  >
                                  > -Carbon MacOS X
                                  > [This version only work on MacOS X]
                                  > [It use the more friendly Unix pathname, and support shell]
                                  > [Can work without the GUI, i.e.: In a Terminal window]
                                  >
                                  > -Cocoa MacOS X
                                  > [Not yet available, not sure if it will ever be]
                                  >
                                  > -Unix Version (guiless, with Athena, GTK, etc.)
                                  > [Same as any other Un*x]
                                  > [Only version which currently support all Vim's feature]
                                  >
                                  > #defines already exit to select the proper version.

                                  Thanks for the summary. What are the #defines for each of the
                                  versions?

                                  --Benji Fisher
                                • Mac Vim Support (Axel Kielhorn)
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
                                    At 23:32 Uhr -0400 2002-07-25, Benji Fisher wrote:

                                    > First a disclaimer: I know nothing about programming for any sort of Mac
                                    >(or any other GUI). I can apply patches and run make; I can fiddle
                                    >with system
                                    >vimrc files; and I can add or delete the occasional #ifdef (but that
                                    >is already
                                    >getting risky). I maintain binaries for OS X, but it is a stretch
                                    >to call me a
                                    >developer. AFAIK the only active developers are Axel Kielhorn
                                    >(mostly Classic)
                                    >and Muraoka Taro (mostly OS X).
                                    >
                                    > In principle, there should be a Carbon vim that works on OS 8/9
                                    >as well as
                                    >OS X. If it were easy, I think that Axel would have done it by now.

                                    My compiler ist too old to create Carbon code. And I don't want to
                                    buy a new Codewarrior for Classic since I plan to change to MacOS X
                                    soon.

                                    > I suppose
                                    >(by packaging separate binaries and calling it a single program) it could even
                                    >run on both CPU families.

                                    It is possible and I have done it once, but what is the advantage?
                                    Using a fat binary is a good idea when you can share a lot of
                                    resources (icons, menus) but that isn't the case with Vim. All the
                                    resources are stored in the runtime tree which is already shared. (It
                                    requieres some code to make Vim68small happy, but since I didn't get
                                    any feedback on that one I will not dig into that.)

                                    > Maybe I am missing the point. How many versions of MacVim are there? I
                                    >think the main ones are mine (OS X Carbon), Axel Kielhorn's (Classic: PPC and
                                    >68k) and Marc Liyanage's (OS X Terminal/X11). I guess there are also some
                                    >versions with more support for Asian languages; Muraoka Taro is working on
                                    >integrating this into the OS X Carbon version, at least.

                                    This should be standard for OS X. Kenichi Asai asked me about support
                                    for multibyte characters on Vim 5.8 Classic, multibyte is already
                                    enabled for 6.1. (But I don't use it since I can't figure out how to
                                    set Osaka-Mono as my guifont.)

                                    I tried Muraoka Taros TEC support for Classic but ran into a lot of
                                    compiler errors. These should be fixable but requiere some time.
                                    Nevertheless, TEC support for Vim Classic would be great.

                                    > Am I missing some, or
                                    >is this already too much?

                                    You can compile Vim with MPW for Classic and Carbon. But since some
                                    functions are missing in the Apple libraries this version is not
                                    usable. AFAIK these versions are not available in binary form.

                                    Axel
                                  • Bram Moolenaar
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 27, 2002
                                      Dany St-Amant wrote:

                                      > I have been away from the Vim code for a while, but here's the
                                      > "different" version of Vim for MacOS (excluding the selection
                                      > of feature such as huge, big, perl, tcl, etc)

                                      Does this summarize the same info as what's found at:

                                      http://vim.sourceforge.net/new/download.php#mac

                                      If not, please suggest how to update this.

                                      - Bram

                                      48. You get a tatoo that says "This body best viewed with Netscape 3.1 or
                                      higher."