mvim and tabs

  • sun_bright@o2.pl
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2008
      Hi

      I really like the "Open file in tabs instead of opening a new window"
      feature. It works great when I drag files to the dock icon, but mvim
      command line tool still opens a new window instead of opening a new
      tab. How can I force mvim to open files in new tab?

      Michael

    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2008

        > I really like the "Open file in tabs instead of opening a new window"
        > feature. It works great when I drag files to the dock icon, but mvim
        > command line tool still opens a new window instead of opening a new
        > tab. How can I force mvim to open files in new tab?

        Put a line like

        alias mtab='mvim --remote-tab-silent'

        into your ~/.profile and use `mtab filename` to open files in a tab
        from the command line.

        HTH,
        Nico

      • sun_bright@o2.pl
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2008
          On 7 Feb 2008, at 12:27, Nico Weber wrote:

          > Put a line like
          >
          > alias mtab='mvim --remote-tab-silent'
          >
          > into your ~/.profile and use `mtab filename` to open files in a tab
          > from the command line.
          >
          > HTH,
          > Nico

          Thanks, that's exacly what I was looking for. I must have missed --
          remote-tab while reading help file.

          Michael

        • Matt Tolton
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2008
            > Put a line like
            >
            > alias mtab='mvim --remote-tab-silent'

            One issue with this method is that it always opens the tab in the
            first instance returned by serverlist(). MacVim always opens the item
            in the frontmost instance. So, if you want your files to be opened in
            the frontmost instance rather than the first instance, you should use:

            alias mtab='open -a MacVim'

            which will use MacVim's algorithm for determining the instance.

            Regards,

            Matt